Strong lift 5x5 by myself

Options
debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am looking at taking up SL 5x5 or another strength training programe for that matter (NROLFW). I train alone :( and was wondering how heavy I should go before moving to the power rack? The gym only has one but isn't used much at the time I go, there aren't many bench's to be fair, none near the rack anyways.

The bench press doesn't have the side pins, should I always use the power rack?

Should I just suck it up and speak to the instructors and ask if they can go through some exercises with me?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't ask an instructor to show you the proper form (I also did a lot of form research on my own, videos, etc). I train alone too and I started in the power rack...the bar is 45 pounds and that's what I started with. No reason you can't.
  • debrag12
    Options
    Thanks, I always tend to round my back for deadlifts and rows.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'd ask for assistance just to get some guidance and build up some confidence. Also, i second the notion of jumping right into the rack and just starting with the bar.
  • debrag12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    been reading youtube comments and it appears not popular to bench in a rack :( Don't think the layout at my gym would get a bench in there anyways.

EDIT: ignore the last part, I could move the bench from the stupid smiths machine
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It really isnt popular if someone is waiting to use it but if that isnt a problem then go for it.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Well nrol4w doesn't really have a bench portion (at least not in the first few stages) - you can also bench to start just using dumbbells. I bench all the time without a spotter, I just don't try and max out without a spotter present. I also don't use the clips on the side of the bar so I can bail out if need be by dumping the weights off of the bar (not a popular thing at my gym, but for me it's for safety and I haven't had to use it yet)

If you are squatting with the 45 lb olympic bar, go ahead and use the rack. That's where it is meant to be used. It doesn't matter that you aren't putting 200 lbs on it, you're starting out and you have every right to use the rack just like everyone else. Don't let the muscly people intimidate you in to not using the rack, but I really wouldn't use the rack for bench presses unless you are going for failure or something like that.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Also I second have a PT or someone coach you on form. I bring my husband in for form checks from time to time just to make sure I haven't developed a bad habit. (He actually has lifted a lot and has great form so I trust him with this)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My gym only has one power rack and one bench press. If I am alone in the weight room (and I often am at 5am) I bench in the power rack. If I am benching in the rack and someone comes in and looks like they might want the rack, I'll speak up and offer to switch out, I just feel if there's no one else around I'd rather be safe than polite.
  • debrag12
    Options
    My gym only has one power rack and one bench press. If I am alone in the weight room (and I often am at 5am) I bench in the power rack. If I am benching in the rack and someone comes in and looks like they might want the rack, I'll speak up and offer to switch out, I just feel if there's no one else around I'd rather be safe than polite.

same here one power rack and one bench press. I tend to go round 8am ish and max of maybe 4 other people there. We don't have a 'weight room' as everything is in the same place. Most people use dumbbells, cable machines.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You start out pretty lite on SL 5X5 so shouldn't be a problem for a while. When you start to get heavy you can find a friend to spot, or move to the smiths.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Smiths are dumb :p
  • debrag12
    Options
    davidcliff wrote: »
    You start out pretty lite on SL 5X5 so shouldn't be a problem for a while. When you start to get heavy you can find a friend to spot, or move to the smiths.

Tell me you're joking right? Even I know they are bad on form

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    So you are saying there are no regular gym benches you can move to the power rack? http://images.esellerpro.com/2347/I/885/02/bcnh001a.jpg
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Always use the rack. There are good videos on the Stronglifts website to demonstrate proper form. Watch them. Even when you're starting out and lifting light, it is important to practice and learn good form.
  • debrag12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    So you are saying there are no regular gym benches you can move to the power rack? http://images.esellerpro.com/2347/I/885/02/bcnh001a.jpg

No I just had the image of the benches across the room. The nearest is the one with the smiths machine. I don't think we have any 'regular' benches

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 x 5 as well. I’ll use the power rack most of the time for bench and overhead presses. But if the gym is busier and it would be an issue, I’ll switch to dumbbells for safety.

Also, I’ll do a couple very light weight “warm up” sets to practice the good form before I hit my weight. I’ve found the practice sets help me fix my mind on how the form feels rather than trying to remember cues.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    cajuntank wrote: »

No I just had the image of the benches across the room. The nearest is the one with the smiths machine. I don't think we have any 'regular' benches

Well, you could definitely utilize dumbbells in the meantime, but I would be having a conversation with the owner or manager of the gym to get one of these. They are of course versatile for many exercises and offer a safety component when utilized in the power rack for people who bench press alone and/or there is no spotter.
  • debrag12
    edited April 2015
    Options
    https://facebook.com/video.php?v=810385432319746&theater

above link is my gym but it was before the power rack was introduced. I also took a video last time I was there but quality if crap :(

https://vimeo.com/123985633

I've noticed a few times, a loud woman works out with a friend, from what I can tell they run tanning salons. Wondered why I was seeing them with a group of loud people on Wednesday mornings standing in the way of the entrance. Turns out they do a fitness class as 6:45am. Thought cool until I realised that the 'nutrition' part was herbal life and some of them are herbal life fitness coaches!!!!

Sorry went of topic there lol
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I'm coming into this kind of late, but you can bench "roll of shame" some pretty significant weights. On 5x5, you're not lifting anywhere near your 1RM, so you're unlikely to have issues with the rack / unrack (which is where the issue of dropping onto your neck or face comes into play) -- you'll generally fail coming up from the chest, where it's easy to do the ROS. OTOH, if the power rack is unused and you're unsure, then by all means drag over a flat bench into the power rack and have at...it just takes a bit more time to set up.

For squats, just start out in the power rack -- even if you're lifting really light, it's nice to have the pins there in case you lose your balance.
  • debrag12
    Options
    thanks

Yeah I'll be using the bench press to start with and the rack for squats. It's just the getting started part now :#