Successful low-carbers, I have a question

Options
qb63
qb63 Posts: 88 Member
I don't want to start a debate on the virtues or evils of low carbing, just need some insight. I have had success (like many of you, I'm sure) with the Scarsdale/Atkins/insert diet name here, in the past but obviously could not sustain that lifestyle or I wouldn't be here. I do find that I have better success and feel better when I try to make lower-carb choices with my diet. My question to those of you who follow a low carb (not ridiculously low carb) plan, what is a good number to shoot for daily with the carb intake? Thanks!

Replies

• coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but will occasionally do a week off VLC (less than 50 net grams/day) or carb-cycling. Last week was the latter, but I switched from a static # to a percentage (less than 20% cals from total carbs) and it was much easier to maintain since my cal intake is fairly high.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 75g. If I can't, I just make sure I still have a caloric deficit at the end of the day.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Between 50-150 g per day is considered low carb. Some take it lower because of preference/triggers and some can go a little higher. Start around 40-50, and add 5 g every few weeks like Atkins suggests.

Right now, I keep it pretty low as I'm enjoying ketosis and it's a handy tool to control my grazing habit. I expect to modify it over time and likely cycle casually, since eating exactly the same macros everyday probably won't work for me long term because I like variety. I'm hoping that I'll have my snacking reflex re-trained and I won't need a high fat diet to help me. I do love what I eat, though!
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    CMcBryer wrote: »
    I try to stay under 75g. If I can't, I just make sure I still have a caloric deficit at the end of the day.

^ This! I am on "low-carb" as I tend to over eat starchy foods (bread, pastries, candy, etc.) But my first and foremost priority is make sure I maintain a deficit.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I find about 20-25 net carbs works for me the best. My goal is set to 30 but I usually net anywhere between 10-25.