Fats?

how bad is poly and mono fats I have a serving size of kettle chips w my lunch and they have both, mfp says I should have zero.

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    You are going to get responses in either extreme here: the majority will tell you that it doesn't matter, as long as you stay within your macros and your caloric allowance. Another group will say that if you are dieting, chips are never to be touched.

My opinion is that while Kettle Chips are not the prime choice of sides to have while trying to lose weight, but it is also not going to destroy your efforts.
    A serving of chips is not going to make you fatter any sooner than eating a single apple will make you thinner.

In the big scheme of things is not a big deal. But if you are looking into making healthier long term options and exploring different sides with "crunch", I suggest Kale Chips (made with Olive Oil) super easy to make, and roasted seasoned chickpeas.

And also, you are talking about a serving. It's not like you are eating the whole bag!
    If your diet is otherwise well balanced, and having the chips is important to you, then I think it's not that bad.
  • davefh0_0
    davefh0_0 Posts: 42 Member
    thanks for the input
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    davefh0_0 wrote: »
    how bad is poly and mono fats I have a serving size of kettle chips w my lunch and they have both, mfp says I should have zero.

MFP isn't really telling you need 0g of these fats. It's just that there really is no medical recommendation on how many you should have. There are recommendations for total fat and for saturated fat, so the rest would be unsaturated, but I've never seen a recommendation for specific amounts of poly vs mono unsaturated.

Here is what the American Heart Association and the CDC have to say about dietary fats:
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/index.html?s_cid=tw_ob294
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    MFP needs to update their app, imo. One version of the app gives the serving size as 0 but the other version gives it as n/a, meaning there is no upper limit on poly and mono fats as long as you're within your other nutrition goals. I wouldn't worry about them at all as long as you're hitting your other goals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Right on, @need2exerc1se . The one fat to watch out for is the -trans fats. So your kettle chips are golden, @‌davefh0_0
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    davefh0_0 wrote: »

MFP isn't really telling you need 0g of these fats. It's just that there really is no medical recommendation on how many you should have. There are recommendations for total fat and for saturated fat, so the rest would be unsaturated, but I've never seen a recommendation for specific amounts of poly vs mono unsaturated.

Here is what the American Heart Association and the CDC have to say about dietary fats:
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/index.html?s_cid=tw_ob294

This.

It's really confusing and MFP should change it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    In the big scheme of things is not a big deal. But if you are looking into making healthier long term options and exploring different sides with "crunch", I suggest Kale Chips (made with Olive Oil) super easy to make, and roasted seasoned chickpeas.

I generally think you gave good advice, but since the OP asked specifically about mono and polyunsaturated fats it is worth pointing out that olive oil is mostly monounsaturated fats--specifically, 73%, plus about 11% polyunsaturated and 14% saturated.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Poly and Mono Unsaturated fats are the better ones at keeping good cholesterol levels up and bad levels down.
    Enjoy those chips if they fit in your macros!
  • davefh0_0
    davefh0_0 Posts: 42 Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice