A cheat day or one cheat meal?

Options

Replies

• Taniab43
    Taniab43 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    what i personally do when i have a cheat day while im maintaining is i do a 1 or 2 low calorie days after depending on how much i ate on that day ( the low calorie days doesn't have to be right after the cheat day , up to u ) and usually the macros are high protein , fiber and fat and not more than 1500 calories ..never had any fat gain doing that

Thanks )

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've said it before I'll say it again (for what seems like the 100th time) - It's not cheating if you log it. You bite it, you write it - it's you living your life, making decisions and accepting the consequences of those decisions. If you don't log it then, as others have said, you are only cheating yourself.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Cheating is stupid. You will only increase your cravings for things or quantities that you should not have. Cheating makes it harder to have a real lifestyle change.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It's only a cheat if you do not log it and pretend that it was never eaten. I always allot myself at least 100 calories a day for a treat to avoid the feeling of being deprived. It is a psychological thing because more often than not, I don't eat that treat I allow myself. If I do, it is typically a square of dark chocolate or a Popsicle made from real fruit.

I rarely have a spontaneous night out so typically, I plan a restaurant meal in advance so I know what I am going to eat. I research the restaurant and look up their menu. If there is something I really want that is fattening, then I plan what to eat in the days leading up to and following so I can eat that fattening meal with no guilt. My last meal like this was all fried - fried shrimp, fried catfish, fried crawfish, hush puppies, and french fries. I probably won't eat anything fried for six months now!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Cheating is stupid. You will only increase your cravings for things or quantities that you should not have. Cheating makes it harder to have a real lifestyle change.

curious, what you are defining as "cheating"?

Because I am pretty sure that I would fit your definition of "cheating" and have had no issues with my lifestyle change...
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    People have different priorities and different needs. Food is part of what makes holidays and some occasions special for me. I love these foods, have good memories associated with them and look forward to them but even if I didn't it would upset and worry my friends and family if my "lifestyle" meant I couldn't eat and celebrate with them.

If it's important to you, if it makes your life richer and more enjoyable it is absolutely not stupid, IMO. I accept I'll have cravings for a few days afterwards but I suck it up and get back to my normal everyday diet (taking the steps above to make sure it doesn't get out of control). It's absolutely worth that extra bit of effort and willpower to me.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat day, but I do have a more relaxed day on the day I've weighed, where I'm not so rigid about what I eat - strangely I very rarely go over my calorie allowance now, although they may not necessarily be 'healthy' calories, but I'm 123lbs down so it's working for me
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Obvious trolling attempt but I can't pass it up...

So your lifestyle now is to never have any treats or eat a bit too much? Holidays must be sad at your house.
  • suzeequu
    suzeequu Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    when I cheat it is always on the weekends- i just lessen the portion I would normally have eaten and I still count it cuz seeing myself go over on one of my categories reminds me how easily bad habits can add weight back on and i have worked too damn hard to get it off. my biggest weakness??? coca cola- my gateway drug
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Taniab43 wrote: »
    4theking wrote: »
    If you are in it to win it, you don't ever cheat. If you want to eat something and it is within your allotted calories, eat it. I am not a cheater. I am a winner.
    I am for sure in it to win it! Cheats in my opinion are a must to keep you happy. But that just me, everyone is different.

I almost married a guy who felt like that!

Seriously though, I do think its ideal to have a relationship with food that does leave you happy, and satisfied, instead of feeling like the only way you can be happy about what you eat is to cheat.

Maybe its time to re-evaluate your meals so that you don't eat stuff that is so awful to you, and try to incorporate more foods you actually like the taste of. I mean, its something you have to do several times a day, every day, for the rest of your life. Why make it such a miserable experience that you have to cheat to be happy about what you eat?

Besides...Its just food, it shouldnt be that emotional...
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't consider them a cheat as I typically adjust within a given week to "pay for" a splurge. Eat less/Workout more on some days. I went a little crazy last week on a work trip and ate about 3,500 calories over for the week. But, I was about a pound under my maintenance weight due to a few weeks under goal, so I just considered it "savings" in the bank that I spent. So, I just started back to normal (workouts & meals) when I returned home with no consequence.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Taniab43 wrote: »
    Is a cheat meal considered a cheat only if you to over your macros or calories for a day? Or can you still cheat a couple of times a week if you stay within your calories? I have several cheats over the coarse of a weekend and usually stay within my daily calories. I just increased my calories this week and am on maintenance mode, so I don't want to gain back what I have lost.

Thanks

If you stay within your calorie goals, I don't really consider a meal or a day a "cheat" as much as a "reallocation of calories". If, at the end of the day, you're meeting your goals, who's to say if you can or can't have more calories in one meal than in another, or that you can't deviate from a planned menu?

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people put guilt on themselves with the word "cheat" .

You planned for it. You worked hard to ensure the weekly or monthly calories came out as desired.

No foul, no error. Matter of fact, you work even harder to maintain the overall average.

Keep to your plan including the over-calorie day plan, and the process will work.

wowwowbrin wrote: »
    If you don't treat yourself then you cheat yourself

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I "cheat" daily with ice cream bc cheating always got me good results in HS.... losing fat, maintaining lean muscle, and eating ice cream on the daily makes for a great cut! (and it's not really cheating)
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "cheat meals" = Contextual arbitrary argument.......

With that said; do whatever you need to do, to meet your goals folks.....Why must we complicate the uncomplicated?????
  • calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I allow for "bad" foods as I know that if I deprived myself from them I would binge. I also have days where I go over my goal, sometimes well over. Sometimes I am under my goal. As long as everything works out over time I don't focus too much on day over day.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once in a while. However that does not mean eating whatever I want. I eat the same food as always but around 300 - 400 calories extra and still focus on health. I don't do it every week, just once in a while so that I don't look my *!$^ and binge badly.