Any 5K Runners?

Options

Replies

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    5k is my favorite distance. Challenging but fun and a good chance to see what you've got. In 3 years of consistent training I've manage to go from 36 minutes to 19:14. Not bad for an old guy. :smile:

NO KIDDING! How inspiring is this? I would love to break 20 minutes one day - that's one of my long term goals. I love stories like yours; they give me a lot of hope. ;)

• Sheyanne0747
    Sheyanne0747 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Mud Run / 5k this May! Going to get under 45
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Under 30 would be amazing... I'm shooting for 35 for my next one. :smile:
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Maybe it's a boy/girl thing... my 11yo son is slower. But I tell you what; my daughter ran my last prep run with me yesterday and she's still faster than I am. Gonna have to encourage her to give track a try when she's old enough at school.

Check out the program "Girls On The Run". It's a free program for elementary-school aged girls run by volunteers who train the girls after school a couple of days a week to run a full 5k, and then they all run a local race together. My stepdaughter participated a couple of years ago and it was a lot of fun!

• fnoblebrown
    Options
    The_Sandra wrote: »

Maybe it's a boy/girl thing... my 11yo son is slower. But I tell you what; my daughter ran my last prep run with me yesterday and she's still faster than I am. Gonna have to encourage her to give track a try when she's old enough at school.

Check out the program "Girls On The Run". It's a free program for elementary-school aged girls run by volunteers who train the girls after school a couple of days a week to run a full 5k, and then they all run a local race together. My stepdaughter participated a couple of years ago and it was a lot of fun!

I will see if they do that at my kids school! We're in kind of a rural area, so I'm not sure we will have a participating group here, but that would be really great for her!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The_Sandra wrote: »

I will see if they do that at my kids school! We're in kind of a rural area, so I'm not sure we will have a participating group here, but that would be really great for her!

@fnoblebrown‌- I live in Vermont and it's very rural here. We have Girls On The Run so I would think that where ever you live would have it too. Good luck and great job!!!

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My New Years resolution was to do at least 1 5k a month for the entire year. I have a 7k coming up this Sunday that I'm super excited for. The goal is to do it under 45 minutes and be in the top 10 of my age group. I was number 12 for my age group at the last 5k. Wish me luck!
  • fnoblebrown
    Options
    Wow! That's awesome - good luck!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I started running at 42 and 18 months later got a 21.40 5k.

I've been trying to recapture the bugger ever since!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    5k is my favorite distance. Challenging but fun and a good chance to see what you've got. In 3 years of consistent training I've manage to go from 36 minutes to 19:14. Not bad for an old guy. :smile:

You are the first person I have ever seen who can run a 5k under 20 minutes and still say they like the distance. Up to now, everyone, including me, who I know that can do <20 says it is the worst race ever. Hurts too damn bad!

:)
  • LokiDokiArtichoki
    LokiDokiArtichoki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Turtles could pass me, but I call myself a runner.
  • fnoblebrown
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

You are the first person I have ever seen who can run a 5k under 20 minutes and still say they like the distance. Up to now, everyone, including me, who I know that can do <20 says it is the worst race ever. Hurts too damn bad!

:)

I'm a long way from getting anywhere near that time; what's nice is that distance is pretty family-friendly for those of us with kids and spouses that just want to take a walking pace.
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Finished in 37.09. I'm stunned - I thought 38:00 would be pushing my limits.

I'm looking at another one early in April already...

Congrats on impressing yourself! ;) You did great!

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did 3 or 4 last year, only one was timed and I did it in about 33 minutes. I haven't signed up for any this year yet, but I would like to do at least one timed one to try to improve on my time.

In fact, I'm going to go look at some races right now!
  • fnoblebrown
    Options
    My third 5k is this weekend... kind of worried I haven't made much in the way of improvement since my last one. :s
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I love the 5k distance now. I do about 5k for my tempo training runs. I think it's the perfect distance and effort for this.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand*

Great distance for me, too. I'm built for linebacking not endurance :smiley: so running 5k is a good distance for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for my first 5k Apr. 18. I was training, but stopped a few weeks ago because I got too busy. Even when I was training, I never could get to where I could run the whole way. And I have a problem with street running where I can't control speed apparently. I end up going faster than I realize (around 8.5 mph based on trackers) for 1-2 min. and then have to walk because I can't keep that up. On the treadmill, I can regulate speed, but I can't do that apparently by myself.

Oh, and my lower back is killing me since I started training... it has gotten worse since I quit (odd because it wasn't like this before I started trying to run). I'm just hoping I can finish in less than 50 min. - run, walk, whatever.
  • nephilim_dreams
    nephilim_dreams Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5K in June. Nervous because I have never, in my life, been a runner but I'm working through the C25K app to train. As long as I do it in under 50 mins I'll be happy with that; I'm not built for speed!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm working towards my first 5K at the end of April. My physiotherapist assures me I'll be ready.