Low fat without the spike in sodium?

Options
kapzilla
kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
I got the news that my cholesterol levels are high, and I need to act now before I develop heart disease and stuff.

I don't want to skip out on flavor, but I don't want to increase my sodium intake. What fats should I be using in order to help lower my LDL levels but raise my HDL levels? I feel so lost. :(

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I was able to raise my HDL by exercising and eating healthier food. It takes a while, change is not immediate.
    LDL levels change is a quite slow. I decreased my intake of fried food. I only eat fried food if I fry it myself with either olive oil, grapeseed oil or coconut oil.
    More activity helps a lot.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The way my doctor explained it to me was that Olive oil is higher in monounsaturated fats, while coconut oil is higher in saturated fats.... So for lowering your LDL go for the olive oil and use exercise to raise your HDL. Just got my blood work done this week and my cholesterol levels are all good now, but I could still work on lowering my LDL a little more :) Good luck!
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My husband has had success in raising his HDL and lowering his LDL. I never cook with butter or margarine anymore -- only olive oil and canola oil. Other healthy fats come from avocados and nuts. The one thing he's almost cut out entirely is cheese. He ate a lot of it before, but it just has a lot of saturated fat.

We eat fish 2-3 times a week, usually salmon and tuna. I make 2-3 vegetarian meals a week as well. When we do eat meat it's boneless skinless chicken and 93% fat free ground beef.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you!
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    I couldn't put my finger on it when I posted earlier this morning, but here's a link my doctor gave me this week:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fat/art-20045550?pg=2

The whole article is good, but this page explains the skew of fats to calories to lower your LDL. Hope it helps :D
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    With most pre-packaged, processed meals, you are going to find a ton of sodium trying to make up for the lost in flavor that was a result of forcing something to be low fat (that otherwise wouldn't be low fat) They are going to add sodium or sugar, to compensate.
    But if you choose foods that are naturally lower in saturated fat, then you don't have to worry about additional sodium added.
    For example, if you buy a low fat spaghetti and meatball TV Dinner, chances are it will be loaded with sodium. But if you make it from scratch with, say ground turkey meatballs and whole grain pasta, then you are not going to run into that problem (unless of course *you* go crazy with the salt shaker)

Good fats come from things like Avocado, salmon, flax seeds. Things that I avoided when I was watching my cholesterol were: egg yolks, shrimp, mayonnaise, margarine, a ton of cheese, and a ton of red meat.

Oatmeal and dietary fiber are supposed to be good too.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The best ways to improve your cholesterol are by: LOSING WEIGHT, exercising, eating lots of fruits and veggies, eating foods with healthy oils like fish, nuts, and EVOO.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Good fats come from things like Avocado, salmon, flax seeds. Things that I avoided when I was watching my cholesterol were: egg yolks, shrimp, mayonnaise, margarine, a ton of cheese, and a ton of red meat.

Oatmeal and dietary fiber are supposed to be good too.

It's been found that dietary cholesterol does not significantly impact your blood cholesterol. So there is no reason to worry about egg yolks, shrimp, etc (at least from a cholesterol standpoint).
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thankfully we don't eat as much processed foods, but I love yogurt, but even that isn't immune to the increase sodium and sugar when it's low fat.

The link above was helpful. I think I just need to learn what is good and what is too much. I like avocados, but when is it too much of a good thing?

As for losing weight, I'm down 18 pounds! Progress. :)
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Congratulations! I hit 21 lbs gone today :) I have to watch my sodium too (1750... Uugh). I've been using Carbmaster yogurt~ 60 cal /1.5 F /4 Carb/ 9 Protein/ 105 mg sodium. For nuts I do slivered almonds (0 sodium) and toss them on salads, on veggies, tomorrow I'll add them to couscous for dinner...they are one of the only nuts I won't go totally overboard on.....

I'm sure my calorie allowance is far less, so I've also shied away from avocados too up to this point. But I love them (and really want their good fats benefit) and was determined to reintroduce them. This week I'm doing 1/4 of an avocado a day to see where I land. I learned you can store the cut avocado with the pit in place inside an airtight container with some cut onions. The Haas site and others say they will keep for up to 5 days that way. Guess I'll find out LOL. I also discovered you can freeze mashed avocado but haven't tried that.

When I checked my weight in today I discovered I could change their micro for the saturated fats so I did that for the 7% while I was at it :) I was pleasantly surprised to see my prelogged meals today and tomorrow were bang on for the lower sat fat % and with the addition of the avocado I'm feeling in a lot better place on my fats distribution. I tell you this getting older and healthy thing is a lot of work and it feels like I have to learn something new every day. Good luck :D
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am a very active 28 year old who is 40 lbs overweight. I eat 4000-5000 mg of sodium per day, and I have for years! Had bloodwork done recently, and my cholesterol and lipids were perfect. I am a guy that eats bacon, cheese, fat cuts of meat, eggs, butter on everything.

I find it hard to believe that diet would influence cholesterol, good or bad. My activity level is high, mentally and physically, so going low fat and low sodium is the result of scare tactics and popular thought.

You want to reduce cholesterol, get active more. Just know that saturated fats are not the culprit.