Excess calories = how much weight?

Options
Hi all,

How many excess calories would I need to have eaten in order to put a lb of weight on?

I'm sure I've eaten pretty well but I've just got a "sense" I've put on over the last few days.

I can only check my weight at the gym so that it's consistent but due to personal circumstances I can't get there until later this week.

Thanks in advance guys...

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    3,500 calories is one pound. But you might be retaining water.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Takes 3500 cals over maintenance to gain a lb of fat.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's 3500 calories. But then there's the 'accuracy' problem so I'd avoid eating an excess of more than 3000 or so just incase ^.^
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    3500 calories over maintenance.

Are you logging your intake?
  • boredfatman
    boredfatman Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm logging everything and I'm still under or thereabouts every day. It might just all be in my head.

I certainly haven't eaten 3500 over, in fact I haven't even eaten at maintenance. I try to stick to my 1800 odd calories.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Then you shouldn't have anything to worry about ^.^
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Zero calories. Drink a pint of water and gain a pound of weight.

Water fluctuations mask fat loss, patience is required.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    3500 appears to be the given number, I assume this number is the calorific value of 1lbs of human adipose tissue when nothing else is taken in to consideration.

I can't find anything particularly sciency other than this from 1958, which gives the value of 3,750 cal.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/6/5/542.full.pdf

However, this...

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111114p36.shtml

and this...

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/news/exclusive0612.shtml

Make some very interesting points in regards to the '3500 calorie' theory and weight loss.
    Bottom Line
    While many issues about energy balance and weight management remain unresolved, one simple truth has emerged from the new consensus statement: The 3,500-kcal/lb rule no longer applies and, as dietitians, we need to reevaluate our weight-loss advice to clients and patients and offer more realistic projections about weight loss.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm logging everything and I'm still under or thereabouts every day. It might just all be in my head.

I certainly haven't eaten 3500 over, in fact I haven't even eaten at maintenance. I try to stick to my 1800 odd calories.

You might just be retaining water from a high sodium meal, or retaining solids :o

Wait until your next weigh in day and see what the scale says, then take a look at what might be going on behind the scenes.