8 glasses of water a day - this is hard

Options
2»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Just do it

I drink 20 cups a day now and love it, coming from hating water.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I have a fun cup with a straw and I keep a tally on my note pad at work. I carry the bottle around the hall with me when I go to other peoples offices or check the mail. I have nothing else to do while I'm walking so I sip on the water. I also try to have at least 1 cup before my morning coffee. The coffee feels like a little reward.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself on the importance water, learn all it's functions in the human body. This will help.

Definitely recommend the above comment. I personally have a 1 gallon jug that I fill each morning, take with me to work, and put a small packet (made for 12oz's of water) of Crystal Light in the gallon. I drink this throughout the day, everyday. Way more than 8 glasses... might be overkill depending on your activity level, so obviously I'm not saying you need that much, but it doesn't ever hurt!
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    my only tip that helped me was to get a "sippy cup". LOL find a nice tumbler with a lid that you like by colour or pattern - double wall style with a straw. Measure out if it fits about 2.5 or 3 cups and work your way through 3 of those a day. Morning/Lunch/Afternoon. I'm trying for 4 but I literally can not stop to pee that often at work...
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to drink the recommend daily amount of water? I never really get thirsty and it's very hard to force all 8 glasses down throughout the day.
    My understanding is that it isn't necessary. However, I drink around 94+ ounces a day. I have a nalgene bottle that I carry with me everywhere. I usually sip on it when I start thinking I want to snack, to determine if I am actually hungry or not. I easily get in plenty of water.

• galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've always had trouble with drinking enough water/liquid too. I recently got a camelback, and suddenly it's super easy! It might be because I have a nervous habit of chewing on things, so the soft mouthpiece of the camelback is nice...but not sure. I may just be weird! :wink:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You're building up a healthy routine, so it may not feel normal at first. Keep a bottle handy at all times - drink a glass as soon as you get up. Keep a bottle in the car and drink during your commute. I keep a bunch of Mio type additives at home/work/gym bag to mix it up.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself on the importance water, learn all it's functions in the human body. This will help.

Definitely recommend the above comment. I personally have a 1 gallon jug that I fill each morning, take with me to work, and put a small packet (made for 12oz's of water) of Crystal Light in the gallon. I drink this throughout the day, everyday. Way more than 8 glasses... might be overkill depending on your activity level, so obviously I'm not saying you need that much, but it doesn't ever hurt!

The one gallon jug I use is pictured here:
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Which also includes understanding that you get a lot of water from the food you eat and everything else you drink. You don't need 8 glasses of water every day.

First time hearing this......
  • Tiffaspiff
    Tiffaspiff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was super hard for me also. I have found drinking out of a container that has ounce markings or a bottle I know is exactly 16oz for example help me keep my eye on my goal. It's become pretty easy for me now. I average AT LEAST 6 glasses a day but usually 8-10 :) Good luck!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Drink when you are thirsty. We need more water when we are eating less food, more salt or sugar, during physical exertion and in warm weather. 8 glasses of water should be regarded as the daily average through the year. My intake may be 2 or 23 glasses in one day.
  • jayneevans39
    Options
    I try and drink before food , you feel less hungry. I also drink water before & after workouts . Once you get used to drinking water you will see the benefits
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I tried tracking my water intake but I kept forgetting or mislogging, so I've kind of given up on that. Instead I focus on having my water bottle with me and full most of the time (just having it sitting on my desk makes me drink plenty just for something to do!) and making sure my pee is clear or very light yellow ;)
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 100 oz of water each day. But I sweat a lot every day. Lemon or limes could make it more palatable. And I try to finish the majority before 5pm, or I'll be up all night.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb - if you urine is 'gin clear' you're getting enough water.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i flavor my water, and i also like to drink tea. *unsweet*