Easy yummy dinner ideas pleeeeaseee

Options
So I'm not a great cook. I'm very simple. I make hamburger helper 2-3x a week. I got curious one day, cause the package says to use lean beef. I dont cause its a dollar more ugh. So I calculated, and instead of 300 calories a cup, its 590!!! So I have 2 sitting in my cupboard, and fatty beef, so I'm just gonna make them the next few days for my family and eat my own dinner lol.. So pitiful. But now I need simple, easy dinners for me to make. Now that almost half of my dinners are a no-go now, I don't even know what to do. Most of the time, I make baked or pan fried chicken or pork chops with a side. I want to make more satisifying meals than that because chicken and a side gets old. Any ideas for healthy dinners??

Casseroles would be great, and one pan meals, stuff like that. Thanks!

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    You can boil the beef you have, let it sit to cool and all the fat will rise to the top and set. You can then lift that off and use the beef as planned.

For other dinner ideas: http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Fish is great. Bake it or fry it up. Just splash it with some lemon juice, herbs/spices, etc.

You will get full/satisfied with a huge helping of green veggies. Pasta too, but that is usually higher calorie.

Honestly most of my dinners are a protein portion, a veggie and then a carb (usually whole grain rice or quinoa). But there are so many things to switch in and out there are like endless possibilities. And I usually leave around 600 calories for dinner.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    You can boil the beef you have, let it sit to cool and all the fat will rise to the top and set. You can then lift that off and use the beef as planned.

For other dinner ideas: http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Disgusting. And also genius! Why did I never think of that!?
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks but I think I'll just skip the tonight's HH in favor of a veggie burger and make the next one in a couple days and skip that too. I'll check out ST. Any more suggestions?
  • angiewilson946
    angiewilson946 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I need help with meal plans too please help
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my husband would divorce me if i gave him hamburger helper... EVER LOL

cooking really isnt hard, people, google easy recipes
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    my husband would divorce me if i gave him hamburger helper... EVER LOL

cooking really isnt hard, people, google easy recipes
    If I'm honest, I don't even know what it is. Something you mix into ground beef to make a sauce?
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You can't get any quicker or easier than just baking chicken breasts/thighs, any type of fish/shrimp in the oven, and pairing it with a steamable vegetable side.
    Minimal dishes if you cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil. Then all you have to clean are the plates you ate off of! :)
    There are so many good (low sodium) seasoning blends out there that you can easily season your protein differently every night. My favorites are Caribbean-jerk, Lemon-Pepper, Cajun, Garam Masala, Greek, and plain ol' Italian.
    You can also get some really awesome steamable quinoa, or steamable wild rice blends to add some complex carbohydrates to your meal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its a packaged meal with spices and pasta, you cook it and add ground beef.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Crock pot meals and the grill are the best. I keep a list of easy recipes that I pull from since we both work crazy jobs and have 2 small children...Here are some of our favorites:

In slow cooker - Frozen chicken breasts, jar of salsa, frozen corn/other veggies, can of black beans. Shred the chicken and serve over rice or in tortillas, or even in romaine lettuce leaves.

Grilled meat and veggies. Easy

Pork tenderloin in crock pot with jar of bbq sauce. Make sandwiches or wraps. Or pork tenderloin with apple sauce and broth and potatoes.

Frozen chicken in crock pot with Frank's hot sauce. Make wraps, or sandwiches.

Chicken covered with spinach and then covered with a can of diced/seasoned tomatoes and baked.

Turkey/black bean burgers - 1 pound turkey, 1 can of beans, 1 egg. Mix and make patties.

Beans and rice - add in cheese, salsa, lettuce, etc.

Chili - easy, filling, low-cal.

In the slow cooker, chicken and jar of pasta sauce. Serve over spaghetti or zuchinni noodles.

Lettuce wrap turkey tacos.

Homemade pizzas on tortillas with turkey pepperoni...

Veggie Quesadillas - saute some frozen fajita veggies, grill some high protein tortillas, add cheese and salsa, or smashed black beans.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So I'm not a great cook. I'm very simple. I make hamburger helper 2-3x a week. I got curious one day, cause the package says to use lean beef. I dont cause its a dollar more ugh. So I calculated, and instead of 300 calories a cup, its 590!!! So I have 2 sitting in my cupboard, and fatty beef, so I'm just gonna make them the next few days for my family and eat my own dinner lol.. So pitiful. But now I need simple, easy dinners for me to make. Now that almost half of my dinners are a no-go now, I don't even know what to do. Most of the time, I make baked or pan fried chicken or pork chops with a side. I want to make more satisifying meals than that because chicken and a side gets old. Any ideas for healthy dinners??

Casseroles would be great, and one pan meals, stuff like that. Thanks!

My family has enjoyed many recipes from the budget bytes site. budgetbytes.com
    How ahout soup? Soup is pretty beginner friendly. My family likes lentil, potato, minestrone, chili, fassolatha, and tomato.
    Do you have a slow cooker? Those recipes are generally easy.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    HH is actually pretty delicious (thanks sodium) if you can ignore the fact you are eating garbage how is cheesy pasta and beef not good haha.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If you like hamburger meat, here's how I make chili. It's really plain because my children are all picky-ish. Brown 2 pounds ground beef. I do use 93/7 and you can also use ground turkey breast. (If you use fattier beef, drain the grease) Dump in a 15 oz can stewed tomatoes, 8 oz can tomato sauce and the little can (2 oz?) of tomato paste. I also pour in a can of water, the biggest can. 2 Tbsp of chili powder, 1.5 tsp salt. The end. You can jazz it up with something spicy if your family is not boring like mine. Oh and to make it Hamburger Helper-ish, you can add cooked elbow macaroni! Makes it go further, so might help offset the cost of the leaner beef. :)
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Tonight im making turkey stir fry. Cut up lean turkey breast cutlets and saute them with some garlic and pepper (no salt!) then in a separate pan saute with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil some red and green peppers, mushrooms, water chestnuts, brocolli and whatever other veggies you like with some more garlic lol. Once they are both cooked combine them in the larger pan and pour a bottle of reduced sodium stir fry sauce. Add some spicy chile paste if you like. Serve over brown rice or quinoa.
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Also the other day i made some yummy stuffed peppers but you could use the filling for lots of things (wraps, lettuce wraps, stuffed peppers etc) it was lean ground turkey, a can of corn, a can of reduced sodium red kidney beans, two packages of reduced sodium taco seasoning, some jalapeno. Topped with fat free sour cream or reduced fat cheese. I added some sriracha too cause i like spicy lol.
  • stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also use skinnytaste.com as a great resource for healthy family dinners. Tonight I'm making the Santa Fe turkey stuffed peppers. Tomorrow we are having Crockpot honey sesame chicken over jasmine rice.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Veggie lasagna is good. Instead of noodles slice eggplants. Use food processor to grind up other veggies, mix with ricotta, eggs and sauce. Layer and enjoy!

Latka: grind a sweet potato and onion, mix with egg and a bit of flour. Fry up (with Pam) though they have baked versions too, serve with plain yogurt or sour cream or applesauce.

Rice mixes. Brown rice plus frozen veggies plus a scrambled egg or some lean meat. If you're feeling frisky shove it all in a pepper, top with cheese and serve.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Some things i love to do are:

Lentil Soup- chop 2 carrots, 1 stalk celery, 1 onion, sautee with olive oil, throw in a can of crushed tomatoes, a cup or two of lentils, and a ton of water, and then just let it cook. It takes like 7-8 minutes of prep time and then i just let it cook on its own for like an hour. It tastes great, is low in calories, is super filling, and makes a LOT for super cheap. You can easily just throw the left overs in tupperware and microwave it later or freeze it.

this also means you have carrots, celery sticks you can snack on the rest of the week too if you dont use them all in cooking. I hate when you buy ingredients for recipes you can only use once!

Beans and rice- I sautee onions and potatos in olive oil and add cumin, paprika, chili powder, s&p. Then throw in a can of corn, a can of black beans, and a can of stewed tomatoes. Add water and let it do it's thing. Again, It takes like 7-8 minutes of prep time and then i just let it cook on its own for like an hour. It tastes great, is low in calories, is super filling, and makes a LOT for super cheap. Add a bag of rice or ready-rice!

With the potatos you have left over you can make baked potatoes later in the week.

I also love making cabbage, mashed potatoes, and sauteed carrots. Cut up the cabbage with an onion, throw it in a pan with some olive oil, and top with salt pepper and paprika. Let it do it's thing. Then boil potatoes, and mash with some butter and garlic. Then boil some carrots for roughly 4-5 minutes and drain and sautee lightly with olive oil or butter.

I'm a vegetarian though, of course you could add meat to any of the above.

The great thing about these recipes is that they are "semi homemade". I use canned stuff which stays good forever and can be used in numerous recipes. I also use things like potatos which stay good for a long time.

I usually just buy fresh produce and replace weekly.
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    As far as eating HH, you could always eat half the portion size and load up with veggies and a salad. I eat quite a few of the same things each week, so I stick with recipes I know.

The crock pot is a life saver for me! You can do the simplest things!
    - Put in chicken breast with cream of mushroom soup then put it over whole grain pasta
    - Chicken tortilla soup, mostly with lots of beans and veggies
    - Homemade ground chicken meatballs, over whole grain pasta
    Non crock pot
    - Salad with grilled chicken, fish or shrimp
    - Lasagna, veggie or with lean beef and low fat cheese
    - Homemade chicken quesadillas or tacos

You don't have to overcomplicate any recipes to make a good dinner. And like I said before, you can always just half whatever serving size the meal is and have more veggies!