weigh loss

Options
Is it ok/normal to loose anywhere from 3-7 lbs every two weeks? What makes that happen? :)

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you're asking. How does the weight loss process work?

Yes, if you're losing 1-3lbs per week, you're probably doing it right. How much do you have to lose? Are you eating the calories that MPF allots you? Don't go too far under your calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    For the first few weeks, losing at that rate is not uncommon. This is because you are losing a fair amount of water weight to start off. After that, your weight loss rate will slow down. Losing up to 2 pounds a week (generally depends on your weight) is considered safe/healthy.

To lose one pound, you needs to burn approximately 3500 more calories than you eat. Over a week, that means eating 500 calories fewer per day. Losing two pounds would mean a deficit of 1000 calories per day. That being said, there are other factors that will affect your weight loss, such as water weight fluctuations (especially in women.) Even if you eat 3500 calories fewer than you burn in a week, you may not see a full 1 pound loss on the scale due to these factors. But then you might have a week where you drop down more than a pound too.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Normal healthy rates of weight loss are considered to be between 0.5-2lb a week depending on how much you have to lose.

If you have just started then you can expect some water weight loss, where you lose a bit extra at the beginning.

As long as you are eating a healthy balanced diet and an absolute min of 1200 calories then take it. It may slow down. If you are exercising a lot be sure to at a % back.
  • lindsey852
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I don't understand what you're asking. How does the weight loss process work?

Yes, if you're losing 1-3lbs per week, you're probably doing it right. How much do you have to lose? Are you eating the calories that MPF allots you? Don't go too far under your calories.

• lindsey852
    Options
    really cancer or aids. Your disgusting!! Get if my post
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    lindsey852 wrote: »
    50 . I have lost 20 pounds in 70 days I eat between 6-800 calories a day.
    Yeah, that's not enough. This site promotes healthy eating, not very low calorie crash diets. How many calories are you meant to be eating? What is your current height and weight?
  • lindsey852
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    For the first few weeks, losing at that rate is not uncommon. This is because you are losing a fair amount of water weight to start off. After that, your weight loss rate will slow down. Losing up to 2 pounds a week (generally depends on your weight) is considered safe/healthy.

To lose one pound, you needs to burn approximately 3500 more calories than you eat. Over a week, that means eating 500 calories fewer per day. Losing two pounds would mean a deficit of 1000 calories per day. That being said, there are other factors that will affect your weight loss, such as water weight fluctuations (especially in women.) Even if you eat 3500 calories fewer than you burn in a week, you may not see a full 1 pound loss on the scale due to these factors. But then you might have a week where you drop down more than a pound too.
    really cancer or aids. Your disgusting!! Get if my post

Thank you :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat between 6-800 calories a day.

For real? I suspect this is not accurate but if it is you're going to have a lot of problems.
  • lindsey852
    Options
    For some reason from last Wed I have lost 4 lbs and I'm not sure why maybe not eating enough but it's right. That's why I asked dr scale says same thing
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Of course the weight is falling off you, if you're only eating 600 calories a day!
    I'll repeat the question: how many calories did MFP tell you to eat when you entered all your details? It won't have been less than 1200, so why would you only eat half of that?
  • lindsey852
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    50 . I have lost 20 pounds in 70 days I eat between 6-800 calories a day.
    Yeah, that's not enough. This site promotes healthy eating, not very low calorie crash diets. How many calories are you meant to be eating? What is your current height and weight?

That's what I need help with. It says 1660 a day and I'm 5`5" and before weight loss I was 225 I'm now 206 first two weeks I lost 7 lbs in two weeks two weeks later I lost 4 in two weeks so on
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Ok, so what is it you need help with? You should concentrate on eating 1660 calories a day. For the first couple of weeks the weight comes off very fast because a lot of it is your body shedding water. It should slow down after that. Are you set to lose 2lbs a week? If so, eating at 1660 calories, plus some of your exercise calories, should help you lose at a safe, sustainable rate.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If the site tells you to eat 1660 to lose weight why are you only eating 600-800?? Yikes - how are you even getting through the day with eating so little?! You're not going to last very long being that extreme.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @lindsey852 can you better phrase your question? You seem to be intentionally restricting your food intake (ie. dieting) but you're shocked that you're losing weight, which would be the obvious outcome of dieting. Clearly we are not understanding what you're asking.
  • lindsey852
    Options
    If the site tells you to eat 1660 to lose weight why are you only eating 600-800?? Yikes - how are you even getting through the day with eating so little?! You're not going to last very long being that extreme.

The reason why Is cause I'm not made of a lot if money to eat super healthy so I just do what I can and that's usually my average some days I hit little over 1,000 intake too. But most the time my highest been 950 in a day. I just save feel better look better but I'm not rich to buy all that healthy stuff too :/
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

The reason why Is cause I'm not made of a lot if money to eat super healthy so I just do what I can and that's usually my average some days I hit little over 1,000 intake too. But most the time my highest been 950 in a day. I just save feel better look better but I'm not rich to buy all that healthy stuff too :/

You don't need "expensive healthy stuff", you need FOOD. You're not even close to eating enough. EAT MORE.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

You don't need "expensive healthy stuff", you need FOOD. You're not even close to eating enough. EAT MORE.

THIS. You don't need special food, eating well is easy to do cheaply, just don't buy into the special food crap. Eat more.
  • lastusernameever
    lastusernameever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Is it me or does this all read a little weird? Why is eating healthy expensive? If fresh veges are expensive, buy frozen. If fresh fruit is expensive, buy canned. Then there is soups, grainy breads, eggs, yoghurt etc. I don't know why it would be expensive? I find I am probably saving money as I am not purchasing so many takeaways!
  • lindsey852
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    @lindsey852 can you better phrase your question? You seem to be intentionally restricting your food intake (ie. dieting) but you're shocked that you're losing weight, which would be the obvious outcome of dieting. Clearly we are not understanding what you're asking.

I'm just wondering why some weigh yes I go to the Dr every two weeks since I've been dieting sometimes it's 7 lbs sometimes its 3 lbs and this last time I went to the Dr which was last wed ice
    Is it me or does this all read a little weird? Why is eating healthy expensive? If fresh veges are expensive, buy frozen. If fresh fruit is expensive, buy canned. Then there is soups, grainy breads, eggs, yoghurt etc. I don't know why it would be expensive? I find I am probably saving money as I am not purchasing so many takeaways!
    No it's not.. I'm taking about like meals also meals that my whole family of 7 can eat its costly. Yes I buy greek yogurt yes I buy fruit and yes I buy vegetables . So I'm taking about family meals..