i need help gaining weight

Options
How many calories should i consume to gain weight im 5'2 96 lbs

Replies

• Hey, how much weight to you want to gain? I'm the same height as you but I'm 105
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    set MFP to .5 or one pound per week gain and eat to that number.
  • alisiabutler906
    alisiabutler906 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    At least 2,000 ~ 3,000 a day . . Drink Ensure Plus wit ever meal , make sure u grab da ensure dat says helps gain and maintain weight. Also tryin dis syrup call Apetamin it's helps u gain weight . . I been on my weight gain journey a week well tomorrow makes 7 days and so far I have gain 6 pounds
  • phillygirlswag12
    phillygirlswag12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, how much weight to you want to gain? I'm the same height as you but I'm 105

I want to gain at least 10 pounds
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At least 2,000 ~ 3,000 a day . . Drink Ensure Plus wit ever meal , make sure u grab da ensure dat says helps gain and maintain weight. Also tryin dis syrup call Apetamin it's helps u gain weight . . I been on my weight gain journey a week well tomorrow makes 7 days and so far I have gain 6 pounds

No, this isn't helpful, sorry. 2000 to 3000 is a huge range of calories, and you certaily don't need to drink Ensure Plus or take Apetamin. This is just bad advice.

OP to find your requirements you can do it one of two ways. As NDJ indicates you can do it by adjusting your MFP target or you can go to a site like IIFYM.com or Scoobie's workshop and using the TDEE calculator and adding about 5-10% to your TDEE. If you want to gain muscle as well as fat then make sure you have a good lifting program.

Good luck to you.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

^^Ignore all this.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    set MFP to .5 or one pound per week gain and eat to that number.

^^ Do this and track your progress over a couple months. If you're not hitting your goals (too fast of gain or not fast enough) adjust a couple hundred calories as necessary and try again.
    OP to find your requirements you can do it one of two ways. As NDJ indicates you can do it by adjusting your MFP target or you can go to a site like IIFYM.com or Scoobie's workshop and using the TDEE calculator and adding about 5-10% to your TDEE. If you want to gain muscle as well as fat then make sure you have a good lifting program.

Good luck to you.

^^ This too
  • phillygirlswag12
    Options

No, this isn't helpful, sorry. 2000 to 3000 is a huge range of calories, and you certaily don't need to drink Ensure Plus or take Apetamin. This is just bad advice.

Good luck to you.

• phillygirlswag12
    Options

Good luck to you.
    Thanks
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Start at 2000, track your weight for a few weeks, add 200 cal and do the same. Make sure they are fairly clean calories or you'll gain a lot of fat but at 96lbs that's not such a big deal. Nuts, red meat, seafood, milk, cheese, bananas, avocado... All great foods high in good calories. Weight training could help too but make sure to further increase your calories to compensate. Good luck, you can do it!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jmaidan wrote: »
    Start at 2000, track your weight for a few weeks, add 200 cal and do the same. Make sure they are fairly clean calories or you'll gain a lot of fat but at 96lbs that's not such a big deal. Nuts, red meat, seafood, milk, cheese, bananas, avocado... All great foods high in good calories. Weight training could help too but make sure to further increase your calories to compensate. Good luck, you can do it!

what are "clean calories"??

and where did you get 2000 from?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Sorry but this is not true at all
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Why give advice? Why? This is all inaccurate and foggy.

OP are you recovering from an eating disorder?If you are then you are in the wrong place to get advice.

If you aren't, then you need to figure out your basic calorie needs first, try Scooby's calculator and test the number you get to see if you maintain.

Then follow a lifting program and add 250 cals a day, which should give you a half a pound a week gain, hopefully a good half of that should be muscle. Your diet should be .8 G protein per pound of body weight, the rest varied fats and all carbs. Include your favourite foods and lots of colorful vegetables. Take a multi vit and omega 3.

Do keep us posted as it's always useful for everyone to know your progress!

• jmaidan
    Options
    Haters gonna hate...

Everybody's calories should be clean and it always makes sense to start from an average baseline and track your progress from there... You'll learn how your body reacts. You'll do great!

For the above posters, clean calories are calories from healthy sources which would include complex carbs, vegetable protein, lean meats, fibre, healthy fats etc. (try adding calories in cake and soda and see where that gets you...) Keep saturated fats and simple carbs ( especially sugars) nice and low. As for 2000 calories this is a general starting point for maintenance calories for a female (assumed from the user name). At 96lbs its safe to assume to OP is under eating, 2000 calories is as good a place as any.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Haters gonna hate...

Everybody's calories should be clean and it always makes sense to start from an average baseline and track your progress from there... You'll learn how your body reacts. You'll do great!

For the above posters, clean calories are calories from healthy sources which would include complex carbs, vegetable protein, lean meats, fibre, healthy fats etc. (try adding calories in cake and soda and see where that gets you...) Keep saturated fats and simple carbs ( especially sugars) nice and low.[/b] As for 2000 calories this is a general starting point for maintenance calories for a female (assumed from the user name). At 96lbs its safe to assume to OP is under eating, 2000 calories is as good a place as any.

the bro science is strong in this one.

so riddle me this..

if I eat eggs, a bagel, cream cheese, turkey, whole wheat bread, cottage cheese, chicken, vegetables, rice, cookies, and ice cream and I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets does that mean my bulk is "bad/unhealthy" because not "clean"..

I gained ten pounds over the winter doing it the not clean way and I had no issues putting the weight on and have already dropped five pounds on my cut...

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate...

For the above posters, clean calories are calories from healthy sources which would include complex carbs, vegetable protein, lean meats, fibre, healthy fats etc. (try adding calories in cake and soda and see where that gets you...) Keep saturated fats and simple carbs ( especially sugars) nice and low. As for 2000 calories this is a general starting point for maintenance calories for a female (assumed from the user name). At 96lbs its safe to assume to OP is under eating, 2000 calories is as good a place as any.

What do you mean by that?

Listen OP. You can bulk eating whatever you want. I don't think anyone here is advocating a diet of strictly cake and soda. But in the end.. if you don't keep up your surplus you will not gain. I was bulking at 3200.. I would eat enough complex carbs, veggies, lean meats, legumes to fill the majority of my cals, then things like cake and ice cream helped me get into surplus at the end of the day.
  • jmaidan
    Options
    Look guys, have been doing the fitness and diet thing for years, used to be a competitive athlete who had to control weight for weight classifications. In my early 20s I put on 25lbs of lean mass through proper eating and training, I know how to do this right. Just offering my advice and support to someone who asked for it. Not looking to get into an internet argument. Peace out.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Look guys, have been doing the fitness and diet thing for years, used to be a competitive athlete who had to control weight for weight classifications. In my early 20s I put on 25lbs of lean mass through proper eating and training, I know how to do this right. Just offering my advice and support to someone who asked for it. Not looking to get into an internet argument. Peace out.

so you are not going to answer anyone's questions?

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Haters gonna hate...

Stopped reading right there since you aren't taking this seriously.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited April 2015
    Options

So what? I was a competive athete in several sports for over 20 years. Doesn't mean I knew why I should eat a certain way just because I had a trainer's meal plan. I had to actually learn through a lot of study how the body works.

Appeals to false authority carry so little weight when you are dealing with those with science backgrounds.
  • insiderbffaf
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and weigh 104 I eat about 2700 calories a day but can't seem to gain any weight I want to be 135 pounds! Adviceeee!