Low carbers! What do yall eat to only have 20g a day limit???

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'd need to be buried in a pine box on 20 grams of carbs. Had over 200 grams today.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    jonnie256 wrote: »
    I just don't see how you can consistantly only get 20g everyday. I mean so many foods have carbs even fruits. I have been trying low carbs but I still end up around 50-60g a day. Can yall give me examples of your daily diet?thanks

There's nothing wrong with 50-60 g carbs/day if that works for you. It's still low carb. Please feel free to join others eating low carb in The Low Carber Daily Forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Awesome tips for fiber. I also have been taking the Metamucil capsules just to make sure I'm not shatin marbles b/c of all the protein I eat.

I don't take powdered fiber supplements. I watched too much Price is Right as a kid (I was a homebody), so every time I think of Metamucil, I think of old people. Hence, taking metamucil would make me feel old...
  • sannaf36
    sannaf36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cheese, cheese, cheese! Mostly dairy and veggies. Have you coffee with half and half instead of milk. Abound fruits high in sugar, instead go for berries.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just don't see how you can consistantly only get 20g everyday. I mean so many foods have carbs even fruits. I have been trying low carbs but I still end up around 50-60g a day. Can yall give me examples of your daily diet?thanks

Meat, fish, veggies, eggs, oils, butter, occasionally berries or nuts or seeds. It is easy to stay under 20 carbs. Just read the labels. Also remember that when you read the labels, under the carb count you will find sugar and fiber counts indented. That is because those are counted in the total carbs because they are forms of carbohydrates. Subtract the fiber from the total carbs. The reason behind that is that fiber is a carbohydrate that gets counted in the total on the label but it is actually a carb that your body does not absorb. Instead it passes through and carries waste out with it.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Awesome tips for fiber. I also have been taking the Metamucil capsules just to make sure I'm not shatin marbles b/c of all the protein I eat.

Not sure what your macros are, but if you get enough fat, that should help with that problem, too.

I notice a lot of ketogenic and low carb folks will eat butter straight or consume fat or oil by the spoonful. Or at least I'm assuming they are when I look at some of their open diaries. Am I mistaken about this? In order to stay regular, what would be the tastiest way to get the fat intake high enough?

A tbsp of coconut oil blended in a cup of coffee. I also cook everything in butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. I love to sauté my veggies. I also like to cook with bacon grease. Lard or tallow is also good. Or any kind of animal fat really.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    when you tell me how they add fiber to broccoli, kale or almonds, then I might pay attention.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 20gms of carbs a day then I say go for it but most experts would agree that there is no added benefit from going that low vs say 100gms a day.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    many (more often than not) people need to go lower than 50 or even down to the 30/20 level to reach ketosis.

For me, 50g is almost maintenace level.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    tell that to the diabetics that have to eat like this all the time.

I'll be honest. After your rantings in the "My husband cheated on me" thread, your opinion on anything doesn't really hold any water. If there was a way to block people I would have done it already.
    So this will be the last time I respond to one of your posts.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    when you tell me how they add fiber to broccoli, kale or almonds, then I might pay attention.
    Some people like to have a more realistic and sustainable dietary approach for a life time.

Refusing to eat pre-packaged Atkins bars doesn't make someone less realistic.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Some people like to have a more realistic and sustainable dietary approach for a life time.

I am talking about dietary variety. Which is more sustainable in the long run.

Still doesn't require you to eat pre-packaged food that's very clearly labeled to have added fiber. Especially when added fiber tends to make most people sick.
  • JPW1990
    Options

I am talking about dietary variety. Which is more sustainable in the long run.

Still doesn't require you to eat pre-packaged food that's very clearly labeled to have added fiber. Especially when added fiber tends to make most people sick.

I can't think of a label I have seen that says "added fiber" but here's an email from the FDA about net carbs.

"total carbohydrate in NF includes all carbohydrates (fiber, sugars, starches, and other carbohydrates); it is not just digestible carbohydrate. Any statement on the label must be truthful and not misleading and FDA evaluates the total label when trying to determine whether it is truthful and not misleading. I am not sure what is meant by any fiber in the product would cancel out any digestible carbs–it just not a logical, scientific statement. — From Pat El-Hinnawy, FDA"

In European countries total carbohydrates are defined on food as all the carbs that are digestible, fiber isn't included in the count. People who create data on mfp maybe from different countries which can lead to some problems.

I don't see the point of playing around with the net carb thing. Some use it to justify eating more carbs. If a person's goal is to be in ketosis, and they achieve it with doing net carbs, good for them. I am just not going to deal with it.

Inulin, pectin, xanthan gum, polydextrol, wheat dextrin. If you've seen any of those on a label, you've seen a label that says added fiber.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. My target is about 20. I am eating LCHF. I struggle to get my protein down and my fat up.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

I don't think the people here mean that fiber is physically added to veggies and nuts. That is just poor choice of wording on their part but that is also very knit picky of you. What they mean is fiber is added to the carb label. What they should be saying is fiber appears underneath total carbs and should be subtracted from the total.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP - Stick to berries, and focus your nutrient intake on veggies. I agree with taking a look at your net carbs (as long as you don't have a medical condition).

Sample breakfast - eggs with cheese and butter
    lunch - bunless burger with salad and full fat dressing
    dinner - meatloaf (made with no bread crumbs)
    snacks - almonds, jerky, boiled eggs, broccoli, cauliflower

I would find the mix that works for you (as long as you don't have a medical condition like diabetes) whether its 10g of carbs a day or 60g of carbs per day. Some low carbers aim for keto levels, some aim for under 100g of carbs. There is a variety of levels that fall under "low carb".

As far as net vs total carbs, this can also be individual. Some focus on total carbs and some do net, it all depends on what works for them and keeps them at a calorie deficit. Total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols gets you to net carbs. Some people find that even sugar alcohols can throw them off so they don't subtract that from their carb counts.

ETA: There are also low carb groups on MFP. For example there is the Low Carber Daily Forum Group and then a Keto group (which may be what you are aiming for).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a label I have seen that says "added fiber" .

Quest bars are made with a high proportion of added fiber ? Inulin, fructo-oligosaccharides and other things are fiber additives that many not be called "added fiber" but that's why they're included.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Inulin, pectin, xanthan gum, polydextrol, wheat dextrin. If you've seen any of those on a label, you've seen a label that says added fiber.

I didn't know that about some of those ingredients - thanks! I don't eat any pre-made bars (they all taste like drek to me), but still, nice to know what role the ever-present "xanthan gum" actually plays.
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful input on here again. I think I am just going to stick around the 50ish carb a day range. Seems easier for me to sustain with that amount.

So yall say every gram of fiber I I take I need to substract that from my carb total? Just wanted to know if I was under standing that correctly. If so all along my carb totals have been around the 20-30g range.lol

Also these are the foods I usually eat during the week in no certain order:
    Scrambled eggs
    Boars head turkey from deli
    Turkey burgers(no bun)
    Lots of cheese
    Spinach
    Cucumber
    Black berries
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Tilapia
    Salmon
    Grilled chicken breasts
    Pistachios
    Raw cashews
    11oz muscle milk protein drink(1 a day)
    Greek yogurt
    Bacon
    Water water water

Is this alright or should I add or substract something?thanks
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I didn't know that about some of those ingredients - thanks! I don't eat any pre-made bars (they all taste like drek to me), but still, nice to know what role the ever-present "xanthan gum" actually plays.

Xanthan gum is indeed a polysaccharide and acts as a thickener. It is typically used in very small amounts, so I doubt it contributes too often to the grams of fiber when added to products. Too much xanthan gum yields a slimy texture.