green smoothies

Options
I've been drinking the green smoothies recipe from green smoothie girl website 2 times a day for the past 2 weeks. Is it possible to be sensitive to the enzymes that are in the kale and the spinach? I am using 6 oz. kale, 6 oz. spinach. 2 bananas, 1 apple 6 strawberries, 2 tbsp. chia seeds, and 3 tbsp. pea powder protein, 2 pkgs stevia in the raw, and 21/2 cups water. For the past week, I've been noticing a redness in my mouth, and the redness is sensitive. Didn't have this problem before I started drinking the smoothies. Is this odd, or is it possible to be sensitive to the greens?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking them.
  • cbunbaker
    cbunbaker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    why????
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    cbunbaker wrote: »
    why????

Well first off, personally, I like to chew my food, not drink it. In this case, it sounds like you're having an allergic reaction to them.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    why????
    To see if the redness and sensitivity goes away.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    why????

Why would you want to drink something that you think is making your mouth sore and red?
  • cat_caffeine
    cat_caffeine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking them, see if the redness/sensitivity goes away. If it does, re-add the smoothies minus one of the ingredients you think you're sensitive to, if the redness returns, swap the greens and see if it persists.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    why????
    To see if the redness and sensitivity goes away.

This. And if it does, you might try consuming the ingredients one at a time to try to identify which you're reacting to. For example, eat some kale one day, wait a few days, then eat some strawberries, and so forth.
  • cbunbaker
    Options
    I thought eating (drinking it in smoothies) raw kale and spinach was better for you than cooking them. I wouldn't think there is anything in the pea protein powder that would cause an allergic reaction.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    That's not normal.
    Sounds like a lot of citrus/acidic content.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Well, something seems to be irritating your mouth, and the best way to figure out what it is, is through process of elimination.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I thought eating (drinking it in smoothies) raw kale and spinach was better for you than cooking them. I wouldn't think there is anything in the pea protein powder that would cause an allergic reaction.

You are the one reporting that your mouth is red and sensitive. Has anything else changed in your habits?

You can keep drinking the smoothies and ignore the redness and sensitivity or you can stop drinking them or you can try the ingredients one at a time, as another poster suggested.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Blending something up into a drink does not affect the nutritional value. In fact, there are several veggies that are more nutritious when cooked because in their raw state, the digestive system can't process the nutrients. I haven't broken down this shake recipe, but it looks that two of those would come close to using up all of my calories for the day. In any event, like others have said, I would probably stop consuming something that hurt me.
  • cbunbaker
    Options
    for the fruit, its only 1 apple, 2 bananas, and 6 strawberries, thats all the fruit. Could it be too much fruit mixing with the greens. Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the suggestions. I am totally perplexed.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Are you washing them before blending? Could there be some pesticide/chemical on the surfaces?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    By my estimation, each of these smoothies is about 600 calories.
  • cbunbaker
    Options
    No, I didn't wash any of them. It said on the bag washed and ready to eat.
  • cbunbaker
    Options
    Sherry, you are right about the calories. The recipe makes 64 oz., and it is divided up into 4 pints, and you drink 2 a day, thats about 150 calories per pint.
  • cbunbaker
    Options

You are the one reporting that your mouth is red and sensitive. Has anything else changed in your habits?

You can keep drinking the smoothies and ignore the redness and sensitivity or you can stop drinking them or you can try the ingredients one at a time, as another poster suggested.

No, nothing else has changed in my habits. only thing i added, was drinking those smoothies.