Three fast food meals in one day...?? *SCREAM*

Options
Okay...so, here's what I am facing this week. I have a trip to take...my daughter has to go for a check-up @ Shriner's Hospital for Children. The distance to and from the hospital and the time of my appointment has left the driver telling me that we will "eat out" (at fast food) for at least two meals (breakfast and lunch), and maybe all three. I am not used to eating out so much... I usually make three meals a day at home... So, I need some help... Our "usual" stops are places like Hardee's, McDonald's, Wendy's... So, I need some good, healthy, keep-me-under-my-calorie-goal ideas for breakfast, lunch, and maybe dinner with all meals being "fast food." I am looking to stay at or around 1400 calories. Any help or suggestions welcome!

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    McDonalds Oatmeal for breakfast is 280 cals. Or a regular egg mcmuffin w/ ham is 300 cals.

Chili for lunch at wendy's is 240 cals for a small cup and is super filling. You can even grab a plain hamburger w/ mustard for 280 cals to have with it!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO...................

You are making an excuse!!!!! It is totally unnecessary for anyone to have to go to those places.

All you have to do is prepare in advance. Pack your cooler--have a picnic--eat in the car, whatever. Take it up to the waiting room---but DO NOT GO TO THOSE NASTY PLACES.

I used to think the way you are ......but no longer!!! I have finally broke through and realized that my health is more important. My kids nor I have been near a fast food joint in 8 months and we don't plan to.

You can do this---do it for your daughter---she does not need to be fed that stuff either!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Pack a cooler with fruit, possibly sandwiches, hardboiled eggs. Order a low/no calorie drink to go with your food. Then eat out for one meal.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The cheeseburger happy meal with fries is only like 400/500 calories. You could get the apples and skip the fries. Get decaf coffee instead of pop.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    take ur own:smile:
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

You are making an excuse!!!!! It is totally unnecessary for anyone to have to go to those places.

All you have to do is prepare in advance. Pack your cooler--have a picnic--eat in the car, whatever. Take it up to the waiting room---but DO NOT GO TO THOSE NASTY PLACES.

I used to think the way you are ......but no longer!!! I have finally broke through and realized that my health is more important. My kids nor I have been near a fast food joint in 8 months and we don't plan to.

You can do this---do it for your daughter---she does not need to be fed that stuff either!

I think it is VERY rude to say she's making an excuse. You do not know the situation. If she has a child going to Shriner's do you REALLY think she is going to be able to make breakfast lunch and dinner in advance, while caring for a child who may or may not be very ill?

Also...she asked for HELP in eating healthy. Last time I checked all of those places have salad, milk, water. They even have grilled chicken. Quit pushing your values on other people.

Damn, people are so rude!
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am loving the side salad from McDonald's with a little low fat balsamic vinagrette dressing that they have there. Very low cal, in fact I pick one up some days to eat at home with my other lunch food like tuna. One night I had to eat there and I had the side salad with just the meat from an Angus burger - it was pretty good. Also I agree with the Wendy's chili suggestion, very filling and delicious, not too bad on calories. Pack your cooler for another meal-maybe an apple, veggies with Laughing Cow cheese, some turkey or tuna, etc. Good job planning ahead.
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yep pack a lunch not only do you get to choose what you want to eat its always kinda fun to stop a few min for a little picnic
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    But yes, if you can, pack a cooler with fruit and eggs and other stuff you like that's healthy.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree 100%!!! Planning is the key when you're faced with these types of situations. NO EXCUSES!! Do not sabatoge all your hard work like this..... Please
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    I was faced with the same thing last week, long road trip and looking for meal options. The good thing, is most of the big chains are actually pretty good about putting up their nutritional information. There are a lot of good choices out there, even subway is making breakfast and you can keep your calories pretty low.
  • pines2palms
    pines2palms Posts: 51
    Options
    For those who have replied so far, thank you for your suggestions. Packing my own was my first thought, actually...but then as I thought about that situation more carefully, it really isn't doable...and no, I am not making excuses. There are some aspects of this situation that I haven't shared and won't share...but I was looking for good choices to make at fast food places...not for an alternative to fast food. I know about the alternatives...have considered the alternatives, and with the situation as it is, the alternatives will not work. As I said, thanks to those of you who have helped me begin to make a game plan. I am still concerned mostly about breakfast...as I don't like oatmeal or english muffins...(McMuffins).
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    I think McD's has a fruit and yogurt cup?
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Have a solid breakfast before you leave the house, pack a lunch and healthy snacks for the day. Pack light use frozen juice drinks as coolers, lots of fruit, and sandwiches.

Then if you have to eat out for the evening meal, go with the flow.

Get on the websites now and do your homework so you know what your best options are in each venue.

The next day, even if you have gone over you can honestly say you have done your best.

Start the next day fresh and guilt free, life is too short for ongoing guilt. Bad feelings often lead to food you know you shouldn't eat.
  • msumissa
    msumissa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can go to Starbucks, their spinach feta wrap is wonderful and around 300 calories. If you can go to McDonald's, my favorite 'treat' is a Big Mac Snack Wrap for about 300 calories and then I get a large unsweetened Ice Tea. That is my go to dinner/lunch when taking my food is not an option.

Be sure to bring lots of fresh fruit with you, that way it is an easy healthy snack for you to have on you!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I know Wendy's 5 piece chicken nugget and a small fry is about 550 calories.. not too good, but not too awful.

If you can, try to ditch the bread on a sandwich or only eat half the fries... that way your saving calories and you still get a small treat.
    Try looking on the websites where you think you will stop and use their meal calculator to plan meals that are healthy and either print them out or write them down. Thats prob. the best alternative to packing yourself.

Hope that your daughter's checkup goes well!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    At Wendy's you can get a small garden salad and then order a side or two of grilled chicken for an extra charge.. Then use a sensible dressing of your choice. Also the Chili is a really good choice there.

Also, If you if you are concerned about breakfast. You should be able to get the egg mcmuffin with ham but ask them to put it in a burrito wrap instead of the muffin. I know I'm annoying when I go out to eat because I always ask for something special but they're almost always willing to accommodate me because I'm just so dang cute.. ok, maybe not, but they are really accommodating as long as I'm really nice and let them know exactly what I need. Sometimes you might have to nicely ask for the manager because the regular employee might not be aware of how to appropriately handle your request.

One thing that I've done when I've been in a similar situation where I feel like I need to eat out for convenience... I go ahead and eat out but pack some fruit to supplement the meal. Apples and oranges will keep for a few days perfectly well in your bag.

Here is the McDonalds calorie information so you can better plan http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionfacts.pdf
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    fruit and yogurt parfaits. those are low in calories. apples, milk, salads, grilled chicken snack wrap, orange juice. darn thats all i can think of.. (do not fall for their grilled chicken sandwiches lol a lot higher in calories than i imagined).

good luck!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

I think it is VERY rude to say she's making an excuse. You do not know the situation. If she has a child going to Shriner's do you REALLY think she is going to be able to make breakfast lunch and dinner in advance, while caring for a child who may or may not be very ill?

Also...she asked for HELP in eating healthy. Last time I checked all of those places have salad, milk, water. They even have grilled chicken. Quit pushing your values on other people.

Damn, people are so rude!

You beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing, kdouglas11! :) No need to bash someone who obviously is already having issues to deal with.

All of those places have their nutritional values posted online. Print them out and make the best choices you can to stay under your calories. I applaud you that you are thinking ahead! Good luck, both with the eating and the visit!!
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am from the UK so we dont have a Wendys here, so all I can suggest really is to maybe do your homework before you go? Most fast food places have nutritional information online. Try to make breakfast something between 300-400 cals, lunch the same, n dinner no more than 500.
    Mcdonalds in the UK have the option of fruit bags n juices instead of chips and fizzy drinks, so where possible choose these, because you never know whats coming next!

At the end of the day, dont feel too disheartended. You aren't going to put on tonnes of weight by eating a little bit poorly for one day. I ate a slice of cake 3 times last week as it was my mums birthday and I still lost nearly 2lbs! Just remember to start again the next day :)

Emma