Advice please re to go or not to go

Options
Hi all,

I went to BodyPump for the first time in two weeks and had a brilliant class but as well as general all over body aches I've really hurt my back. It's hurting to bend down, sit down, lie down but it doesn't feel any different in intensity to the aches I have elsewhere...

I missed my combat class last night to give it a rest but it's still hurting. Should I wait to be completely pain free before I go again? How can I tell if I'm injured or just suffering from a good workout? My technique is good. I hadn't upped my weights but I really pushed every rep.

I don't want to damage myself but I don't want to wimp out either!

What do you all think?

Jules xx

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Nine to one, you just over did it a bit. Rest one more day, if you are more than 48 hours our and still are in severe pain, go see your doctor. When you go back, pace yourself a little better, focus on form, and if necessary, drop the weight a little. DOMS is normal pain that your body eventually gets better at dealing with, but we don’t want to risk injuries.
  • Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks Allan, I thought it would probably be that. It's just where it is that's inconvenient, ie lower back and hips. Think it was the squats that did it! Jules x
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I used to take BodyPump classes, and would guess that it was the deadlifts that got your lower back and hips. When I overdid squats in there, my rear end and thighs killed me the next 2 or 3 days. It wouldn't hurt to try an NSAID to help relieve your discomfort, if your body can tolerate it.

If your pain feels like what Allan described, which is DOMS, then it should be okay to take the class again while you are still sore. I would recommend cutting back on your weight just a smidgen, though. It's so easy to want to be "super strong woman!" when taking the class. I had the same issue. :smile:
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest you get your technique checked by the instructor just in case....we all think our technique is good but often times it isnt...and minor adjustments can help a lot
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks Allan, I thought it would probably be that. It's just where it is that's inconvenient, ie lower back and hips. Think it was the squats that did it! Jules x

Form is very important during squats. Slow down, lower the weight, and really focus on the movement. There are several videos on youtube to guide you through good squatting form.

Once your back is back, do your squats in front of a mirror (or video tape them from front and side), watch yourself and remember how the good ones felt. Practice that mind-muscle connection of a good squat and you’ll save yourself a lot of pain.
  • Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this is DOMS you know. I have the usual tightness and aches that I actually quite like (sadistic I know) but this feels like I've dislocated my hips! Hence the reason I think it's the squats. When I adopt the squat position now that's where I feel the pain and my back feels "loose" It is easing though... Our pump instructor is hot on technique and I stand right next to her, side on, so she can see me and does correct us and remind us continually. This is like internal lower abs... Going to miss tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. Glutton for punishment!!