Lifting and cardio/endurance

Options
I've been enjoying SL 5x5, but am also gearing up for triathlon training (I've been doing triathlons several years, but the heavy lifting is new. I'm feeling like I need to back off/stop heavy lifting for endurance training, though, because my muscles are too sore from lifting to accommodate a long run or bike. Anyone else been through this cycle? It seems that most of what I read emphasizes one or the other and doesn't mix them well (makes sense). Any tips to maintain strength during training season? And then go back to heavy lifting in the off season, or what?

Replies

• streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump for replies
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I tried that with marathon training because I started believing the all hype on this site about strength training. What it did to me was lead to a severe case of overtraining and eventually destroyed my ability to run at all. (In June 2013 I could do a 20 mile training run in just over 3 hours. By the end of Sept I absolutely couldn't run over 6 miles at a 10 to 11 min/mi pace). I eventually had to stop exercise altogether and am now getting back into it.

I acknowledge that was my fault for attempting to go max effort on both of them at the same time.

You can do both in moderation and get less than optimal results in both. Or you can pick one or the other to focus on. So, it really just depends on your priorities.

If you have been lifting and stop to focus on the other then you will lose some strength. How much you lose and how long it will take to get it back depends on how long you are away from it.
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think it would be beneficial for you to cut back on the heavy lifting and do your standard triathlon training. However, I'd try to do a few sessions a week of body weight strength training and/or weight training at a slightly lower level than before.

It's up to you to always continue to evaluate how your body is responding to training while still pushing yourself
  • willRUN4Beer
    willRUN4Beer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started T25 a few months ago and also lift a few times a week (incorporating my own SL 5x5 routine). When marathon training was leading to more daily miles, I learned to back off from the T25 & lifting because my legs were hurting during my runs. I still do T25 & 5x5's on some cross training days, but I'm focusing on what is more of a priority for me; running and resting my body for the longer runs. Race day is a month and a half away for me...good luck to you!
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would maybe tailor your lifting to your triathlon training when you are actively training for a race. When I am not training for anything, but simply running to keep my cardio up then I ramp up the lifting. When I start training for a specific race, I generally cut back on the lifting and mold it to supplement the running. So I will bring in different forms of lunges and different core exercises, and use less weight to focus on endurance rather than building strength. Seems to work for me.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If you really want to do the triathlon work, then I think you answered your own question. You can try cutting back, but I’m not sure that gives you what you want.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Pick one.. :):) Tailor lifting to build strength for your endurance training then bulk in the off season but being a runner my self, I am not sure I would ever want to bulk up and run (this just me) ...

I do build strength which in order to enhance my running abilities..
  • streamgirl
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone! I appreciate the input! SchweddyGirl, I like the idea of tailoring the strength training more to the tri stuff. Maybe I'll search out some tri-specific strength recommendations.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What are your goals? If you really want to do the triathlon work, then I think you answered your own question. You can try cutting back, but I’m not sure that gives you what you want.

I can't speak to triathlon training, and it depends on how intense your training is - where on the spectrum between training to finish to training to win the race you are - but cutting back worked nicely for me for half marathon training.

I shifted from a full body 3x per week program with similar volume as Stronglifts 5x5, to a 2x per week intermediate program. Much less volume, but kept the weights at a relatively high % 1RM. Let me maintain my strength, even increase a little (though that wasn't the goal), without wiping me out for long runs. I scheduled the long runs before the lifting sessions. Ensured the long run took priority and kept me from over-reaching in the weight room. Also gave me more days with nothing going on so I could rest and recover better.

ETA: the cutting back volume also included dropping accessory work and reducing reps and sets per workout as well as # of workouts. I stuck to squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench, and Pendlay row.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You can continue doing the SL5x5 but cut one day off and only do it twice per week. Do one or two core exercises each session as well and that should be plenty. As you get further along into your triatholon training you may taper the volume back to 3x5 and then a couple weeks before your event just cut all strength training, just do mobility work.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    streamgirl wrote: »
    Great, thanks everyone! I appreciate the input! SchweddyGirl, I like the idea of tailoring the strength training more to the tri stuff. Maybe I'll search out some tri-specific strength recommendations.

Try the Triathlete's Training Bible by Joel Friel. He designed a progressive strength training program that varies weight/ reps based on where you are in your training cycle.
    I personally use SL5x5, 2x per week in the off season, but I'll be changing programs this month as a ramp up Tri training. Doing both last year (along with a too drastic cut in calories) led to a bit of burnout.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do a bit of each, and a lot of the one that makes the most sense for your goals. In your case, a triathlon is primarily an endurance event, so "some" lifting to supplement "lots" of cardio will optimize your performance.

BUT...that's assuming triathlon performance is your main goal...it doesn't have to be....

You can continue doing the SL5x5 but cut one day off and only do it twice per week. Do one or two core exercises each session as well and that should be plenty.

This is consistent with my experience - twice weekly SL sessions were just about perfect for an intermediate triathlon training schedule.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Pick one.. :):) Tailor lifting to build strength for your endurance training

Look into light weight/high rep instead of high weight/low rep.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    Pick one.. :):) Tailor lifting to build strength for your endurance training

Look into light weight/high rep instead of high weight/low rep.

Why is that? With her triatholon training she's getting the endurance she needs. She needs to use strength training to build what she's not getting from her training.

• streamgirl
    Options
    My goals previous years have always been more to finish, but this year I'm actually trying to increase speed. I have a short attention span, so I really enjoy the three events in triathlon and would be sad to trade it for weight training. I'll never be a podium contender, and I'm perfectly fine with that, but finishing in the middle of my age group would be cool. Thanks for the reminder about the Tri Training Bible--I have an old copy of it somewhere. I should take a closer look. I can also try bumping down to 3x5. I'm already only doing 5x5 twice a week rather than three, but that would be a good way to add a little balance. Thanks for the great input!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Do a bit of each, and a lot of the one that makes the most sense for your goals. In your case, a triathlon is primarily an endurance event, so "some" lifting to supplement "lots" of cardio will optimize your performance.

BUT...that's assuming triathlon performance is your main goal...it doesn't have to be....

You can continue doing the SL5x5 but cut one day off and only do it twice per week. Do one or two core exercises each session as well and that should be plenty.

This is consistent with my experience - twice weekly SL sessions were just about perfect for an intermediate triathlon training schedule.

lifting is not about endurance?