steps per day

Options
I am confused. How many steps are we supposed to do in a day??

Replies

• belgarath64
    belgarath64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The usual accepted is 10,000 steps a day, but that is including just normal movement. Wearing a pedometer to record every step is the best way to go. Hope this helps.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The usual accepted is 10,000 steps a day, but that is including just normal movement. Wearing a pedometer to record every step is the best way to go. Hope this helps.

This is correct. It's actually a lot more moving than you would think but is a great goal to strive for.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Should that include or exclude exercise steps?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    10,000 is just a recommendation intended to increase the activity levels of an ever sedentary population. There is no magic to it and the science shows that 10,000 is not enough to account for significant weight loss on its own. As part of a larger exercise and reasonable food plan, it helps.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    My office building has 3 flights of stairs, my house has 12 steps total. I'm guessing I do about 50 - 90 steps a day.

Were do you people get these 10,000 steps? The empire state building only has 1,576 steps.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    The 10,000 does include exercise steps. For me personally that's a lot of steps, so my goal is 7,500. Everyone is different. Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    the general consensus is 10000, everyone is different - I aim for 17K
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My office building has 3 flights of stairs, my house has 12 steps total. I'm guessing I do about 50 - 90 steps a day.

Were do you people get these 10,000 steps? The empire state building only has 1,576 steps.

By placing one foot in front of the other at any pace, on an incline or the flat or a stairwell. It doesn't refer solely to stair steps.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options

We're not talking about stair steps. We're talking about walking. I aim for 12,000. That includes exercise, but my Fitbit doesn't count cycling. At the gym it counts the treadmill, but not much on the rowing machine and nothing on the weights. To estimate calories out, I need to use other methods.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Steps ... regular walking ... not flights of stairs.
  • chaithraalex
    chaithraalex Posts: 5 Member
    Options

They are not talking about Stairs. just normal day to day steps taken while walking.
  • chaithraalex
    chaithraalex Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    the general consensus is 10000, everyone is different - I aim for 17K

How long does it take you to get 17k? How long do you intentional exercise walking/running? And how much of the 17k is your usual day to day intake?

I'm managing to finally get over 10k but literally being on my feet all day and never stopping now but I'm struggling to get much more than 14k even when I do exercise.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options

By placing one foot in front of the other at any pace, on an incline or the flat or a stairwell. It doesn't refer solely to stair steps.

well, now I am confused as OP.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

It's steps as in just walking, not steps as in steps in a staircase.

I aim to get 10k a day. I'm pretty good at hitting that number most days, but I don't fret if I only get 5k-7500 because I almost always get 13k or more on the weekends so it averages out.
  • mjohnson1twenty
    mjohnson1twenty Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is the daily recommendation. i aim for 15k a day as exercise. this doesn't include my casual steps. good luck with your stepping~
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is a ball park figure suggested for good health (like 8 cups of water a day). It is not a "one size fits all" but is a good goal to aim for. I aim for 10K on my non-workout days and 15K on workout days with Sunday being a day of rest. I typically get about 3K when I do no intentional exercise.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

I aim to get 10k a day. I'm pretty good at hitting that number most days, but I don't fret if I only get 5k-7500 because I almost always get 13k or more on the weekends so it averages out.

I am more interested in my weekly step count too. 10k daily is my Fitbit goal but in reality I aim for 80k a week instead of the 70k "official" goal.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I average about 4,000 which is up from 2,000 but am hoping to get to the magical 10,000 soon. I only hit it about 2x.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Cripes. I can only get a couple hundred in on my stair stepper. Doesn't anyone have a life outside the exercise room here?
  • denielle715
    denielle715 Posts: 101 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love my FitBit for this exact reason!
    I used to/still do live a pretty sedentary life.
    My average steps per day is around 8k. But I'm striving for 10k daily. With a gradual increase over time.

I started with 5k set.
    Now I'm at a 7,500 goal. (And achieving, so it'll be increased to 10k on Sunday)