Sudden hunger....HUNGER!

Options
likehlikeo
likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm on a 50 day streak, and everything was fine so far. I am on 1600 calories right now and did very very well. I was not really hungry and snacked some nuts here and some fruit there and was happy...BUT I'm hungry since the weekend...like REALLY HUNGRY! I just ate 300g of fruit salad and some dark chocolate on my desk because my tummy was growling and I felt almost sick. This was not long ago, and I am hungry again...
Do you more experienced guys have some kind of "hunger phases" as well? Is this normal after a certain amount of time? Jesus...I could eat 5pounds of tofu right now...

This sudden hunger occured out of nowhere...BOOM...hungry all the time!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For me it is usually after week 3 of my lifting cycle right before my deload...but I make sure I get in at least 110 grams of protein a day so that helps.

Looking at your diary tho you are exercising and not eating those calories back...and not a lot of protein.

For example I see a day you at 1591 and did a lot of running(2 sessions 149mins) to burn appx 700 calories...if those are MFP numbers I will give you 75% of them so 525....your net calories that day was 1066...Yah I would be starving too netting under 1200
  • likehlikeo
    Options
    Hi, yeah I think I will have to eat them back...I use runkeeper on my iphone, but I'm not sure if I trust it ;) ...I think I will put in some corn flakes as a night time snack today (all I have left at home right now) to cure the hunger for now. Tomorrow is shopping day. I will try and buy some more protein heavy stuff and plan everything out a bit better...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It is usually a T.O.M. issue for me. It also happens when my carbs are too high. I can eat a meal that is mostly fat and protein and be fine but i f I eat a meal that is mostly carbs with very little protein or fat I am starving and unfortunately it usually takes about a day to straighten myself out again.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah I call it "starvacious" and I get that way here and there. Keep snacks around that are high in protein (my fave is wasabi peas), those will fill you up better than sugar will, and will help keep that nauseated feeling at bay. And drink a lot of water on those days as well - it doesn't help with the hunger (for me at least) but again it really helps with the nausea.
  • likehlikeo
    Options
    Interesting...it just came to my mind, that I ate a LOT of olives before and my store was out of them, so I stopped my daily olive feasts. And yeah, I eat more carbs now....HA! I will buy Tofu and olives tomorrow and see if this could be the reason...
  • likehlikeo
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Yeah I call it "starvacious" and I get that way here and there. Keep snacks around that are high in protein (my fave is wasabi peas), those will fill you up better than sugar will, and will help keep that nauseated feeling at bay. And drink a lot of water on those days as well - it doesn't help with the hunger (for me at least) but again it really helps with the nausea.

Is it like dried/fried peas with wasabi? That sounds delicious!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I get that way about once every 7-10 days, and I usually eat more that day than I indend to, but I don't go over my calorie goal my more than 500, and I make sure those calories aren't from ice cream, cookies or other sweets. I need to watch my sugar. And every single time that has happened, my weight is down the following day. Still, that doesn't give me any carte blanche to have some minor pigouts on days when I am not "starvacious", as mentioned above.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    likehlikeo wrote: »

Yup, dried and maybe baked? Something to make them crunchy. And covered in wasabi powder. I love 'em lol :) I get them at Costco and bring them to work in little baggies.

• likehlikeo
    Options

Yup, dried and maybe baked? Something to make them crunchy. And covered in wasabi powder. I love 'em lol :) I get them at Costco and bring them to work in little baggies.

I'm sure my turkish supermarket will have them, since I saw chickpeas there! Thanks for the tip!!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    yeah. I have issues with it. :( Thing is, if I cave in and eat, I gain weight. If I don't cave in, I go mad. I try to compromise and make do with the lowest calorie things I can find. Like green beans or whatever.
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a lot this weekend? I ask because last weekend was my birthday weekend and I ate all my favorite things. Now this week I'm feeling really deprived and munchie. It sucks! I'm trying to drink more water but it's not easy to stay on track.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi, yeah I think I will have to eat them back...I use runkeeper on my iphone, but I'm not sure if I trust it ;) ...I think I will put in some corn flakes as a night time snack today (all I have left at home right now) to cure the hunger for now. Tomorrow is shopping day. I will try and buy some more protein heavy stuff and plan everything out a bit better...

I often explain it using this scenario...

Your car has a full tank of gas and you drive it 500km so that it only has 1/4 tank....you are not going to drive the car another 500km without putting more gas in it....you would run out of gas...and stall out...be stuck....consider your body the car, the food the gas and the 500km drive as your runs....if you run out of fuel (food you have consumed) your body will let you know it needs more...

And yes protein does help a lot to keep you feeling full. If you allow yogurt go for greek, lots of protein in that, eggs etc. depending on your diet (meaning omnivore, vegan, vegetarian) there are lots of options out there....summer time I use protein powder in my smooties...works great.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Typically 3-4 days before my period, every month, I get so hungry. Like today... It's just past noon and I've already eaten 1350 calories... When it happens I try to stick to food with lots of protein, fat and fiber, and just hope it's going to actually keep me full more than a couple hours so I don't end up binging on bread or chocolate or something (I don't always succeed). But fruit would never do it for me.

It only lasts a couple days thankfully...
  • likehlikeo
    Options
    Soooo, I just had 3 slices of bread with rucola spread and an entire block of smoked tofu. An amaranth bar as dessert. I feel better now B) I'll stock up on more fatty and protein rich foods tomorrow and try to reduce my carbs...I hope this will help :)