Found a training buddy, but....

Options
she is a LOT smaller than me, and in way better shape! She isn't used to running, but I have been hiking with her, trust me, she is in better shape! Well I told her about me doing the couch-5K and that I want to start running 5K's, mostly the ones for charity, and move up to 10K's in a year.

Well she wants to do the couch-5K with me. I said yes, because I was excited about having a partner, but now I am worried she will be too fast, or I will feel stupid for not being able to keep up with her. Should I tell her maybe I should do it on my own?

Replies

• jenninsocal
    Options
    she is a LOT smaller than me, and in way better shape! She isn't used to running, but I have been hiking with her, trust me, she is in better shape! Well I told her about me doing the couch-5K and that I want to start running 5K's, mostly the ones for charity, and move up to 10K's in a year.

Well she wants to do the couch-5K with me. I said yes, because I was excited about having a partner, but now I am worried she will be too fast, or I will feel stupid for not being able to keep up with her. Should I tell her maybe I should do it on my own?
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Maybe when you are training with her if she runs ahead of you just ask her to slow down a little bit. I dont see anything wrong with that. Good luck. :drinker:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i think you should do it with her if it'll motivate you to stay on track. who cares if she may run faster than you? you're still going to be able to run 5k by the end of it and that's what counts
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Much better than if she was slower! You would get discouraged or frustrated! She will keep you pushing yourself! I say go for it!!!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way (my workout partner could out run me any day!) So we work out at the gym because we can be on different machines and work out at different paces and still motivate each other (I always aim for higher resistance, speed, or distance than her!) As far as the couch-5K I found that unless I'm on the treadmill at the gym I don't want a workout buddy...so I bring my dog Lucy since she will keep me going. You have to find what works for you.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

You know, I've had a running / bike buddy for 3 years now and he's always been in much better shape. I worried about it for a long time and finally decided that it's a free country and if he didn't want to be there he wouldn't be. I think he likes the accountability as much as I do, and we've become very good friends. I just make sure that what I lacked in fitness I would make up in committment. I try very hard not to cancel and be there on time. I figure that if he's going to put up with me being slow he shouldn't have to put up with me being a flake too. Sometimes he sticks with me and we talk, sometime he rides ahead and I meet him at the end. Sometimes he rides with the fast boys & leaves me out. It's not a big deal.