Looking for a few newbie/wanna be runners to start C25K

Options
Hello everyone, My name is Debbie and I am new here. I am looking for way to stick to this C25K running plan, in hope to finally run my first 5k. I have started many times and fell off the wagon. I am starting again and hope that doing it in a group with others, we can motivate each other to continue and complete this thing.

I am looking for new or wanna be runners or just people who has finishing a 5k as a goal, to join me on my journey. I am starting on Wednesday April 1st. I am using the app C25kfree from zen labs. I believe it integrates with the myfitnesspal app. Please check that out, I might be wrong. Come Join me and let us do this together.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's a c25k group here on the boards - check it out, you'll find people with great advice and on the same path you are with the program.

Good luck - c25k is great - made a runner out of me! :smile:
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There are many C25K alums on these boards--myself included! It's a great program; stick with it and you will feel great at the end.

(I finished at the end of November and now I'm running my first half marathon tomorrow!)
  • jloeffler651
    jloeffler651 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just download the app I'm in how do we find the c25k groups
  • Debechild
    Debechild Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I found a group right after I made this post. They are located under group. Here is a direct link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k I will join them but I wanted to keep this post open those who are just starting out. Please check out the group especially if you are just starting this for the first time. They have lots of advise there you may need. You are welcome to do the challenge with me when I begin on April 1st.
  • Debechild
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    There's a c25k group here on the boards - check it out, you'll find people with great advice and on the same path you are with the program.

Good luck - c25k is great - made a runner out of me! :smile:

Lol thanks Amy I didnt read your post before posting again. As you can see I did check them out. I can't wait to be just like you and can call myself a runner.
  • Debechild
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    There are many C25K alums on these boards--myself included! It's a great program; stick with it and you will feel great at the end.

(I finished at the end of November and now I'm running my first half marathon tomorrow!)

I wish you great luck tomorrow. Please come back and share with us.
  • _onebeauty
    _onebeauty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I am doing this also; could use a friend 2 motivate me on lazyyyy days/weeks.
  • _onebeauty
    Options
    My app is from zen labs also
  • loratliff
    Options
    Debechild wrote: »
    loratliff wrote: »

I wish you great luck tomorrow. Please come back and share with us.

Thanks! I did it, and well under my goal time too! My goal was to finish in 2 1/2 hours or less... I finished in 2:23:12! It was hard, but never once did I feel like I couldn't do it, whereas if you had asked me before C25K, I couldn't run down the block!

Stay disciplined and don't get discouraged and you can do whatever you set your mind too. (Sounds corny and cliche, but running has taught me so much about willpower and mental toughness.... It is so much more than physical!)
  • Debechild
    Options
    [quote

Thanks! I did it, and well under my goal time too! My goal was to finish in 2 1/2 hours or less... I finished in 2:23:12! It was hard, but never once did I feel like I couldn't do it, whereas if you had asked me before C25K, I couldn't run down the block!

Stay disciplined and don't get discouraged and you can do whatever you set your mind too. (Sounds corny and cliche, but running has taught me so much about willpower and mental toughness.... It is so much more than physical!)
    [/quote]

Congratulations, I am so happy for you. Thank you for sharing now I can't wait to see how I do.
  • loratliff
    Options
    Debechild wrote: »
    [quote

Congratulations, I am so happy for you. Thank you for sharing now I can't wait to see how I do.[/quote]

I hope to get to read your success stories in the near future! :smiley:
  • pinkcowss
    pinkcowss Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did my first run today on the c25k. Buying m first fitted pair of running shoes on wed. =D
  • Debechild
    Options
    Grats Pinkcowss, Keep up the good work.

Here is the link to the April C25K group. I would love to see more people there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104775-starting-couch-potato-to-5k-running-program-c25k-april-2015
  • fastmomonthego158
    fastmomonthego158 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can the program be done on a treadmill? I just got a gym membership that I do not want to go to waste and running outdoors is still quite a challenge for me.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can the program be done on a treadmill? I just got a gym membership that I do not want to go to waste and running outdoors is still quite a challenge for me.

sure, it is just a program that builds you from mostly walking to running a 5k by increasing the amout of time/distance you are running, can be done indoors or out

For all those new runners out there this is a great post worth reading. It addresses alot of the questions that crossed my mind when I first started. Remember to do whats appropraite for you and don't push too hard too fast.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running
  • Debechild
    Options
    I found the treadmill easier but prefer to do track or street to get use to running on the street as in a real 5k. Personally the treadmill, I think, gives me a false sense ease while I go through the program. Thats just my personal opinion. Do what feels good for you, just as long as you are doing it.
  • _onebeauty
    Options
    Its tough not quitting, so my mental endurance has gotten to be amazinggg!! I just completed W5D3, it was a 20 minute run.

It was soo tough the last 10 minutes. Esp considering the last run was 3 (8) minute intervals onlyyyy. So the (20) minute run was toughhhhh!!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I found a beginners running group in my area and they start tomorrow! I have been working on the c25k for months now, as I do a workout here and there. I am hoping by joining this group with you guys and a running group in my hometown that I will officially run a 5k before the year is out. I do some virtual 5k events that I jog - walk to get through and really want to run one.

Feel free to add me on here and we can help each other out!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi thrre I am doing the zen labs app! I am on week 4 d3 going into week 5! I didn't want to know about that 20 minute thing! Oh well its gotten tough but I can do it! And now I know I can be faster than a snail I need to push a bit more! :)
  • _onebeauty
    Options
    Hi thrre I am doing the zen labs app! I am on week 4 d3 going into week 5! I didn't want to know about that 20 minute thing! Oh well its gotten tough but I can do it! And now I know I can be faster than a snail I need to push a bit more! :)

I was terrified when I saw the 20 minute run!!!! I planned to keep repeating the week until I felt strong enough to stand the 20 minute run... lol! I got to the gym, & I was like screw it, I'll just see how far I can push it. But surpringlyyyy, I pushed through & completed it. So can you!! You just have to try!!