How Much Whey?

Options
I get it, whole foods. That's great!

But I still have a hard time getting enough protein, especially when I'm looking at a low calorie day.

Two scoops is probably fine, right? I'm also hitting up chicken and tuna and cottage cheese and greek yogurt and all those other good, non-powdered forms of lean protein.

Replies

• SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have trouble digesting large amounts of whey, which is partly why supp stores sell digestive enzymes, or or companies mix them into the whey itself. Personally I start to feel icky if I go for more than 4 scoops a day, but that can vary by brand.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I only do 1 sciop a day if I do more than just cardio workouts. Otherwise, I dont worry about my protein too much when I don't. I just try to get close bûnid not, no biggie. I just see it as unneeded calories if I dont workout. But I am also not trying to be a body builder lol.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »
    I only do 1 sciop a day if I do more than just cardio workouts. Otherwise, I dont worry about my protein too much when I don't. I just try to get close bûnid not, no biggie. I just see it as unneeded calories if I dont workout. But I am also not trying to be a body builder lol.

I meant I just try to get close to it, but if not, no biggie. damn tablets :p
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have two scoops in the morning and have no problems getting the rest with chicken, jerkey, and maybe some eggs if I really need to.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Athos282 wrote: »
    I have two scoops in the morning and have no problems getting the rest with chicken, jerkey, and maybe some eggs if I really need to.
    I'm pretty much the same. 2 scoops in 1 drink of ON whey with water (250 cals, 50g protein) and then I enjoy getting the rest from my food.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people have two scoops a day. I used to do one protein shake in the morning after my workout and some type of dessert that used whey in the evening. Now that I'm cutting I stick to one scoop a day just to save some calories, but my husband drinks two protein shakes per day and does fine. As long most of your protein is coming from actual food, supplementing is alright.
    JessieLMay wrote: »

Hm...no.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I use it in my breakfast which is usually a shake, oatmeal, or yogurt to supplement protein intake. I use a serving size which varies by brand.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I measure my protein in grams not scoop's ? Different types of protein drinks have different amounts of protein.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I measure my protein in grams not scoop's ? Different types of protein have different amounts of protein.
    Hadn't you heard that the scoop is a standard of measurement, like a meter?

Understandably the "scoop" size can vary but most protein powders seem to provide something around 20-30g of protein per plastic scoop provided with the container.

You could also look at my question as how many grams of protein are you comfortable getting from powders.

Sounds like two scoops (~50g) gets a consensus.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do 1 scoop of whey with my breakfast, 1 scoop of whey after my workout & 1 scoop of casein protein before bed.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    Options
    I do 1 scoop of whey with my breakfast, 1 scoop of whey after my workout & 1 scoop of casein protein before bed.

Oops, that's 30g per scoop.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Speaking of whey, I just bought ON's vanilla ice cream protein powder. I'm new at this stuff, so can anyone tell me if I made a good choice?
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Speaking of whey, I just bought ON's vanilla ice cream protein powder. I'm new at this stuff, so can anyone tell me if I made a good choice?

It sounds nice, I haven't tried that flavour yet. I liked Milk chocolate and recently switched to chocolate Mint which I recommend. I think I might try Cookies n cream next or Vanilla if you recommend it?
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    Options

ON usually has great tasting whey proteins. Personally haven't tried the vanilla ice cream one but I CAN say double chocolate, cookies&cream, strawberry & the chocolate malt ones are SO good.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I measure my protein in grams not scoop's ? Different types of protein have different amounts of protein.
    Hadn't you heard that the scoop is a standard of measurement, like a meter?

Understandably the "scoop" size can vary but most protein powders seem to provide something around 20-30g of protein per plastic scoop provided with the container.

You could also look at my question as how many grams of protein are you comfortable getting from powders.

Sounds like two scoops (~50g) gets a consensus.

Ok, got it, I would determine my protein number for the day and subtract the amount of protein consumed through other sources and use my best guess on my shake. Usually 1 scope but I'm using a variety of different kinds.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ON's Vanilla ice cream is pretty good - it's just vanilla. I do like rocky road quite a bit!
  • slideaway1
    Options

ON usually has great tasting whey proteins. Personally haven't tried the vanilla ice cream one but I CAN say double chocolate, cookies&cream, strawberry & the chocolate malt ones are SO good.

Cheers mate, I would stay away from the Rocky Road chocolate. I had to drink that for a month and hated every second of it. Each to their own though.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! @slideaway1 I sadly can't recommend it yet because I ordered it off of Amazon and it might not get here until next week. Cookies and cream sounds so good!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen. On a 2,000 calorie diet, you only need 50 grams of protein a day. The 1/3 gram per pound of body weight is a myth.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like ON's vanilla ice cream - good to mix with anything. I tend to prefer Muscletech's Iso-Whey vanilla ice cream flavor, but it does get pretty frothy. Flavor itself though - pretty much like vanilla ice cream!

As for whey - I usually do 1 scoop after a weight workout and sometimes casein at night (depending on what I did that day and how my macros ended up working out).