Coconut Oil??

Options
So I've been reading all of these wonderful things about unrefined coconut oil. It's great for your hair, skin and best of all weight loss. So I bite the bullet and buy some Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. I bring it to work and try some in my green tea (yes, oil in my tea lol) There's quite a few different ways to consume VCO. I just now noticed how many calories are in this oil!! How am I supposed to stay within my calories and take the recommended 3 tbsp a day when this stuff is 120 calories a tbsp?? Does anyone else incorporate VCO in their diet?

Replies

• rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use it, based on my doctor's recommendation. However, I use it as a substitute for other fats. I will put it into soups instead of butter or oil, and spread it on toast. The calories definitely count like normal calories. I'm not sure where the 3T a day advice is from. That seems like a lot to me if you are trying to lose weight.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It's a fat like any other. It's nice to cook with if the light coconut flavor fits with the dish, it has a relatively high smoke point.

It's also lovely for skin and hair. (applied to skin and hair, that is. You don't get the calories that way.)

There is no reason to add it as an extra fat unless your fat macros are too low. All fats and oils are essentially the same, caloricly. The stuff about OMG TEH WEIGHT LOSS MAJICKS are woo and broscience. There is nothing special about coconut oil that will make you lose weight, that's just nonsense.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Checks thread has the necessary woo and broscience comment

Leaves satisfied
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to consume 3 tablespoons of coconut oil per day.

Of course you can't fit it into your goal, it's still FAT! Fat has 9 calories per gram. Just because it's from a coconut does not mean that it's somehow a-okay and low-calorie.

If you CAN fit it into your day, and you enjoy it, by all means. If you can't, theres no reason to stress yourself out trying to eat coconut oil. :D
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to consume 3 tablespoons of coconut oil per day.

Of course you can't fit it into your goal, it's still FAT! Fat has 9 calories per gram. Just because it's from a coconut does not mean that it's somehow a-okay and low-calorie.

If you CAN fit it into your day, and you enjoy it, by all means. If you can't, theres no reason to stress yourself out trying to eat coconut oil. :D

I agree with this.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you like it - eat it and log it. If not, don't. It wont speed up weight loss any faster than using 3 tbspn of say, butter, each day.

also, make sure you are weighing the tbsp, not just scooping or you could be using much more than 3tbspn a day.

BTW - I drink bulletproof coffee on occasion (I prefer butter to CO, personally), but I've never heard of it in tea. I might have to try it.
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    It's also lovely for skin and hair. (applied to skin and hair, that is. You don't get the calories that way.)
    Be careful before applying to to your face. It is extremely comedogenic for some people. Spot test to be safe, some people end up with huge breakouts even weeks after applying it.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I use it for fat bombs- yumm or to fry coconut shrimp-- that's about all

Have tried it for other cooking uses but if the flavor doesn't fit the food- its not very good

Not sure why you would want to "take" three tbls a day though... don't understand this
  • nicoleoppermanarcher1
    Options
    The claim is that it boosts your metabolism. That's where the 3 tbsp / day comes in.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    The claim is that it boosts your metabolism. That's where the 3 tbsp / day comes in.

That's untrue.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

That's also where the woo and broscience come in.

"Boosting" or "jumpstarting" your metabolism is not an actual thing. So, don't buy what they're trying to sell you.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Nope. It will increase satiety, just like any other fat. If you look closer, most of the people who add it to coffee and such are doing LCHF, so they have more than enough room for it every day. Others are extremely active and have plenty of extra calories for the day. Probably not going to be much help to someone doing low fat and low cal.
  • debraainsworth
    debraainsworth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I will be the devil's advocate here. I have been using coconut oil for two weeks now. I use 3 tablespoons a day and I log it every day. As of this date, I have not exceeded my calorie goals. I have lost 12 pounds, 9 inches in the waist, 7 inches in the hips, 6 inches in the stomach, and 6 inches in the bust. I have absolutely no appetite. I have to make myself eat and I make sure I eat well over 1000 calories a day. I have not increased my activity at all. I have not limited any food choices. I just eat much smaller portions, as I am full very quickly. I would not be able to do that if I was hungry.

Every person is different, so what works well for one, may not work for another. I will always believe mindset plays a big role in anything we do. I've noticed some other changes since starting using the oil. However, I won't go into all of that. I just know that something has made a huge difference for me. Right now, the evidence leans toward the coconut oil.

On my profile, there is a picture taken exactly one week apart, and 10 pounds down. Some say they can see a difference. I can see and feel it, so that's what's important to me.

To each his own! We all are on this journey. Wish it were easy, but it's not. It's a battle every single day. It's a battle I plan on winning. So if the time comes that it appears coconut oil is not helping, then I will back up and punt. Until then, I am going to keep on keeping on.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

It doesn't. If you're maintaining your weight, adding 360 calories of ANYTHING will cause weight gain, not loss. There is no magic foods. Calories from coconut oil can be stored as fat just like calories from anything if you're in a surplus.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i would not want to eat 3 tbsp of fat period! i get enough fat in my diet LOL

and... dont believe everything the interwebz tellz youz. its full of the ubiquitous woo and broscience.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Well, I guess I will be the devil's advocate here. I have been using coconut oil for two weeks now. I use 3 tablespoons a day and I log it every day. As of this date, I have not exceeded my calorie goals. I have lost 12 pounds, 9 inches in the waist, 7 inches in the hips, 6 inches in the stomach, and 6 inches in the bust. I have absolutely no appetite. I have to make myself eat and I make sure I eat well over 1000 calories a day. I have not increased my activity at all. I have not limited any food choices. I just eat much smaller portions, as I am full very quickly. I would not be able to do that if I was hungry.

Every person is different, so what works well for one, may not work for another. I will always believe mindset plays a big role in anything we do. I've noticed some other changes since starting using the oil. However, I won't go into all of that. I just know that something has made a huge difference for me. Right now, the evidence leans toward the coconut oil.

On my profile, there is a picture taken exactly one week apart, and 10 pounds down. Some say they can see a difference. I can see and feel it, so that's what's important to me.

To each his own! We all are on this journey. Wish it were easy, but it's not. It's a battle every single day. It's a battle I plan on winning. So if the time comes that it appears coconut oil is not helping, then I will back up and punt. Until then, I am going to keep on keeping on.

I 100% agree that even if the placebo effect is working for you, that is enough reason to keep using it. That is why most have told the OP that she should keep doing it if she likes it. If she gets the same placebo effect you get, it can't do anything but help as long as she sticks with her calorie goals.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're supposed to replace other fats you are already eating, not just eat coconut oil on top of what you already eat. 3 tablespoons is 360 calories- your metabolism will not increase that much!!!

My understanding is that coconut oil is thermogenic COMPARED TO OTHER FATS. In other words, it takes more calories to process coconut oil that it does canola oil. So if you replace canola with coconut you will have a calorie benefit- though I suspect it is very small and not enough to make a significant difference. Certainly not enough to just eat coconut oil for fun.

However, it is healthier for you than many other oils and I like the taste of it, so I eat it on occasion- but to replace other calories, not to add more.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Miranda Kerr eats 3 tablespoons of coconut oil a day. That's where that "recommendation" came from....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Miranda Kerr eats 3 tablespoons of coconut oil a day. That's where that "recommendation" came from....

who?

LOLOL
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

who?

LOLOL

Haha i know right! She's an Aussie model, and does that Victoria's Secret show