Why do people put incorrect nutrition facts in the database?

Options

Replies

• Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just found one today that stated there is no sugar in Maple Syrup.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »

I had no fat listed for roasted veggies before...
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I doubt they do it on purpose.

Some products are wrong because they change the specifics or there are many similar ones and you just have the wrong one.

Some entries are recipes that people (wrongly, IMO) made public without being clear about what it is.

Others may well be wishful thinking or taken from a terrible source, I dunno.

This as well as some products are available in multiple countries and the ingredients and nutrition facts may be different from country to country. An example until last year Oreos in the UK were a different recipe to the US ones

Also people just make mistakes. One of the biggest one I see is sodium when people do not convert it from grams to mg.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I just did it by accident a few minutes ago. The second I hit enter, I said, "oops". I don't know how to fix it! Is there a way to edit something you added to the database?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »

Don't you love these? I found low fat peanuts!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I just did it by accident a few minutes ago. The second I hit enter, I said, "oops". I don't know how to fix it! Is there a way to edit something you added to the database?

If you go to 'my foods' and look for your entry there and you should be able to edit.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Thanks 81Katz! It's all fixed!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've been craving oatmeal desserts since eating Girl Scouts Do Si Dos for the first time. I've just been very lazy in actually looking for or making something. Little Debbie just might have to do. :wink:

I'll usually look at Wal Mart's website to double check on items. I was recently entering a new recipe and saw that someone entered a serving of seasoning as 23 grams instead of 2.whatever it is. Everything else was correct, so I didn't bother looking for another entry. My next dinner idea is listed as having 168 grams of seasoning.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Aldi must use different bakeries around the country because I had a friend who would log bread that had different numbers than mine and we both checked our packages. So that's a possibility as well.

I was using an entry that was incorrect and when I went to correct it, I noticed that it had been put in the system in 2012. Formulas change.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Aldi must use different bakeries around the country because I had a friend who would log bread that had different numbers than mine and we both checked our packages. So that's a possibility as well.

I was using an entry that was incorrect and when I went to correct it, I noticed that it had been put in the system in 2012. Formulas change.

I've noticed the same thing with Trader Joe's, some entries were pretty different from mine but had several confirmations. It's odd.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Some entries are recipes that people (wrongly, IMO) made public without being clear about what it is.

MFP must have changed all private recipes to public. Mine used to be private then all of a sudden I started seeing my recipes in the public list. I do not like this change. :/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I've noticed the same thing with Trader Joe's, some entries were pretty different from mine but had several confirmations. It's odd.

My cottage cheese that changed was Trader Joe's. Hmmmm.....

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The option to keep recipes private is still on the old builder.

I didn't see anything about it on the new builder.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    Second post today that I've seen for an oatmeal cake! I think the universe is speaking to me......

Ok, now you can all go back to the actual topic of this thread!
    OMG ive had one every night for the past 3 nights and i was SO NOT EVEN Thinking about one TILL Y'ALL SAID SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!

all of y'all SUCK
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

MFP must have changed all private recipes to public. Mine used to be private then all of a sudden I started seeing my recipes in the public list. I do not like this change. :/

When you search your recipes will come up in the search because you're logged as you. They wont however be publically viewable if you haven't let them be. As default they are private
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Just searched for some of my recipes, none popped up.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Reasons for "incorrect" entries:
    1) Basing it off of info from different regions
    2) basing off of different serving sizes
    3) Simply entered in a number wrong
    4) Subtracting net carbs or something.

This is why I have my own private database. Which I think MFP should make into a permanent features - either allowing people to save and copy a public database entry into their own private database so taht you don't have to search through like 40 entries for your particular yogurt, or just allowing someone to save it as a "my food"
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    Second post today that I've seen for an oatmeal cake! I think the universe is speaking to me......

Ok, now you can all go back to the actual topic of this thread!
    OMG ive had one every night for the past 3 nights and i was SO NOT EVEN Thinking about one TILL Y'ALL SAID SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!

all of y'all SUCK

:D:D:p
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options

I find the same problem with Trader Joe's and half the time the database won't let me create a new entry (even when I want to just keep it private) because it says that it already exists. Very frustrating.
  • ana3067
    Options

I find the same problem with Trader Joe's and half the time the database won't let me create a new entry (even when I want to just keep it private) because it says that it already exists. Very frustrating.

I create new entries for my own private database for entries that already exist all the time. Doesn't prevent me from making them.