Ok, someone please tell me why diet soda isn't good for you.......

Options

Replies

• RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find that drinking a diet soda makes it easier for me to skip sweets set out at parties. It is sweet enough to help me resist the heavier treats. Since I feel obesity is my greatest health threat right now, I'm okay with consuming diet sodas.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it. People just love to hate on artificial sweeteners just because....well, I don't know. I've never seen legit reasons other than...because artificial sweeteners!!!!!!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    but what's so bad about the diet soda?

The taste. But if you like the taste, enjoy it. :drinker:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it. People just love to hate on artificial sweeteners just because....well, I don't know. I've never seen legit reasons other than...because artificial sweeteners!!!!!!

I love to hate on artificial sweeteners because I have yet to find one that doesn't taste like bitter ICK to me.

Stupid artificial sweeteners, tasting foul. Boo on them. They are BAD FOR ME because they HURT MY SOUL with their grossness.

~skips away with an exaggerated air of snobbery~
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    SciranBG wrote: »
    Scientists forced fed mice an obscene amount of aspartame and determined it raised their risk of cancer. Too much sun also can increase risk of cancer, but no one recommends to live in a cave forever.

Artificial sweeteners have also been shown to cause an insulin response like real/digestible sweeteners. I'm not sure what the effect of that actually is though.

And how much aspartame did they give those mice? Wasn't it more than we would ever take in? Context.

And didn't the group of rats that had a little bit of aspartame (like a dose equivalent to a soda a day) actually get cancer less than the rats that had no aspartame at all?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

I blame the natural = good folks. Like my daughter. Who could not understand that natural honey is a poisonous combination for a diabetic. She also fears aluminum (dementia/cancer), fish (mercury), GMO (fish DNA), and plastic wrap (dioxins).
  • jgnatca
    Options
    She also worries about butylated hydroxytoluene, sodium citrate, potassium citrate, sucralose, monosodium glutamate, pesticides, herbicides, and three-legged frogs.

She does not fear vinegar. Three syllables. So good.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Scientists forced fed mice an obscene amount of aspartame and determined it raised their risk of cancer. Too much sun also can increase risk of cancer, but no one recommends to live in a cave forever.

Artificial sweeteners have also been shown to cause an insulin response like real/digestible sweeteners. I'm not sure what the effect of that actually is though.

And how much aspartame did they give those mice? Wasn't it more than we would ever take in? Context.

And didn't the group of rats that had a little bit of aspartame (like a dose equivalent to a soda a day) actually get cancer less than the rats that had no aspartame at all?

That poor little rats.

IKR, a little bit of diet soda could have saved a few rat lives :( I'm so sad.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

They sure did.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

That poor little rats.

They should have stuck to saccharin:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/scientists-think-saccharin-could-be-a-cancer-fighting-tool-032615.html

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    She also worries about butylated hydroxytoluene, sodium citrate, potassium citrate, sucralose, monosodium glutamate, pesticides, herbicides, and three-legged frogs.

What's her thoughts on dihydrogen monoxide and Ascorbic Acid?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

What's her thoughts on dihydrogen monoxide and Ascorbic Acid?

what about pyridoxine? :open_mouth:
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I daren't ask her, @stevencloser , she'd smell the setup and give me the evil eye. I'll articulate my argument with sense, intelligence, and passion to anyone else but my daughter. One of the few people I've found more stubborn than I.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I daren't ask her, @stevencloser , she'd smell the setup and give me the evil eye. I'll articulate my argument with sense, intelligence, and passion to anyone else but my daughter. One of the few people I've found more stubborn than I.

Pffft, you haven't met my daughter... ;)

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Not to be a language geek, but . . . pesticide, herbicide, and sucralose all have three syllables. ;)

• beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Women should be mindful of caffeine consumption. Caffeine inhibits iron absorption.
  • tropicgran
    tropicgran Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can't quote my sources but I've heard that diet pop as well as regular, leaches calcium from your bones. Also the diet pop stimulates you to eat more. I don't know about any of this for sure, but I do have now now and then.