Ok, someone please tell me why diet soda isn't good for you.......

Options

Replies

• Mafuezee
    Mafuezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ......i was scared to drink it...but now idec
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    slucki01 wrote: »
    I would avoid diet soda like the plague if it had arms and legs like that

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with it. People just love to hate on artificial sweeteners just because....well, I don't know. I've never seen legit reasons other than...because artificial sweeteners!!!!!!

I blame the natural = good folks. Like my daughter. Who could not understand that natural honey is a poisonous combination for a diabetic. She also fears aluminum (dementia/cancer), fish (mercury), GMO (fish DNA), and plastic wrap (dioxins).

sounds like my cousin who is also convinced modern medicine and the pharmaceutical companies are evil and kill.

seeing as modern medicine saved my life, my sons life, and my husbands life, and drugs allow my husband to CONTINUE to live..... yeah. she knows not to spew her beliefs my way, cause I'll shut her down QUICK.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    People say that it stimulates your appetite which I really disagree with, it doesn't make me want to eat any more than normal.

Also, there's the whole "aspartame is evil" thing but I couldn't care less about that. If a second head started growing on my shoulders than I would probably still drink diet soda.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Not a damn thing diet soda away.
  • JTWaldron
    JTWaldron Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    12 years ago I drove with my wife (we suspected she got sick from aspartame) all over the country to find out if these people that kept popping up on the internet were indeed real doctors, lawyers, victims, researchers, etc. You can click here to see what we learned:

Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    gamegaga wrote: »
    I can't quote my sources but I've heard that diet pop as well as regular, leaches calcium from your bones. Also the diet pop stimulates you to eat more. I don't know about any of this for sure, but I do have now now and then.

I guess we just have to take your word for it?

you don't take information from random internet people at face value????

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    something about chemicals and sugar whatever. health wise, it isn't too good if you have a lot of it (like most food), but if it helps your sugar cravings, then why not have a can? :-)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you follow the CICO theory, you are only worried about calories and diet soda fits into your daily allotment very easily. If you are working towards health - as a nurse you know that the ingredients in diet soda are far from healthy.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you follow the CICO theory, you are only worried about calories and diet soda fits into your daily allotment very easily. If you are working towards health - as a nurse you know that the ingredients in diet soda are far from healthy.

Why?
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Why?

How would someone have to fit in a 0 calorie soda into the calories?
    How is it bad for our health?

It's not unhealthy, although any soda has acid (phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate and citric acid) which can cause ulcers and destroy enamel. An issue that can happen in some people is that it'll cause insulin levels to rise because the body mistakes the aspartame for real sugar. I've had it happen a few times when I hadn't eaten but I have normally low resting blood sugar levels to begin with... But this can lead to overeating because LBS causes you to get really hungry for sugar and other carbs.

But water, color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate, citric acid and caffeine aren't unhealthy components they just don't add any nutritional benefits...
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    something about chemicals and sugar whatever. health wise, it isn't too good if you have a lot of it (like most food), but if it helps your sugar cravings, then why not have a can? :-)

That's what people say but what does it do to us and are the things they say actually accurate?

Exactly what i think about! I hear people yap ad nag me about chemicals and amount of sugar in diet coke but I drink it anyway. So long as I don't end up drinking liters of it in a day and have my good share of water!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    JTWaldron wrote: »
    12 years ago I drove with my wife (we suspected she got sick from aspartame) all over the country to find out if these people that kept popping up on the internet were indeed real doctors, lawyers, victims, researchers, etc. You can click here to see what we learned:

Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World

With a name like that I'm sure it's unbiased research.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's made by taking pure disappointment and doing unspeakable things to it in a laboratory. The end result is something so horrid it takes twice as much of what you actually wanted in order to forget the taste.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    All carbonated sodas erode your teeth. You are pouring acid over them. Moderation....if course I feel that way about most foods. I only will not eat shellfish and gluten - and those are deadly allergens for me.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Jesus disapproves of it.