High cholesterol

Options
I have high cholesterol and I can't take pills to help lower it. Are there any alternatives to the pills?

Replies

• monicagbrown
    monicagbrown Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Excersize and clean eating
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Try two tablespoons of ground flaxseed every day!
  • sirion2
    sirion2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that limiting saturated fat and trans fat plus cardio exercise is your best bet. That's been my approach.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Omega's can help.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in foods you eat has almost nothing to do with the cholesterol in your blood.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Lose weight, exercise, eat lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, and healthy oils. Don't replace saturated fat with carbs (that's been shown to worsen cholesterol).
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why you can't take the meds, but I had extremely high cholesterol and within three months of healthier eating, I dropped it all to below normal. Yes I had low dose meds at the time,(Which i never took regularly because I could never remember to take them) but my doctor said she's still never seen anything like it. Some docs will say once on the meds, you never get off, but my Dr. has said she will tell her colleagues IT CAN BE DONE, and she has a patient with the lab work to prove it.
    Biggest change for me was I cut out almost all fast food. Still enjoy some treats like ice cream, and if I have to have fast food like when I'm away from home, I look for better options than burgers and fries.
    And go ahead and enjoy eggs! they do not raise your blood cholesterol unless maybe if you eat a dozen a day, they should have no effect.
    Oatmeal, foods high in Omega 3, like fish, healthy fats like nuts, all can help.
    You can lower your cholesterol without meds with better eating,
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,975 Member
    Options
    The jury's still out whether high cholesterol is problematic. High sdLDL (small dense) is however.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @RodaRose please share more about this. Ty.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    @RodaRose please share more about this. Ty.

The post you are referencing is 7 years old and the poster you’ve tagged hasn’t logged in for over a year. Don’t take it personally if she doesn’t respond. 🤷‍♀️
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    rushed2it wrote: »
    I have high cholesterol and I can't take pills to help lower it. Are there any alternatives to the pills?

Statins only lower healthy (light) LDL, because they increase the number of receptors in the liver to park the LDL up, thus reducing the amount in the blood. But they can't park broken LDL (the heavy, dangerous LDL) so that continues to rampage around the body.

In short: either get the doc to review the two different LDL's separately, or ignore the whole thing. You need cholesterol.

LDL is like a little toy train, taking all the fats around your body. You need this. The broken ones don't work, and because they aren't carrying fats they're heavy and they create cracks in the blood vessels, which they then crawl into. White blood cells come to kill them and eat them up, and this eating creates plaque in the blood vessels, and that's what's wrong with 'cholesterol.'

So what makes them break? High sugar in the blood, inflammation.

What gets rid of them? white blood cells.

What can you do to avoid them? watch your sugar intake. :D And avoid statins like the plague as they increase your danger of dementia (mum was on them for years and she's now in a home) and also obviously might lower the total LDL in your blood, but within that, increase the proportion of damaged LDL. So they're not even doing anything for you anyway.

I'm not a scientist. But this guy is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swc4ps4iPXs&list=LL&index=1&t=15s