Weight training for cycling

Options
So I'm getting pretty into cycling here lately.

I want to train my legs for it. Obviously, cycling itself is one component.

But in the weight room... I know the exercises that target the quads, hams, glutes, and calves.

My question is, do I want to do high weight low rep to gain strength, or low weight high rep to gain endurance, or both?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Endurance will come from cycling, so lift heavy, to develop the muscle mass that will assist cycling. Lifting heavy also strengthens bones (cycling a lot can weaken bones, per research).

Keep in mind that too high a training volume will be negatively affect your cycling.

Which exercises were you planning on doing?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling isn't just one component it's 95% of it to be honest - unless you plan on being an out and out sprinter.

There is very little crossover between low rep or even high rep (in gym terms) strength and cycling endurance. I do very little leg work in the gym so that on cycle training days my legs are fresh. If you want to improve your power for cycling head for the hills or if you are training indoors intervals on the bike with high resistance.

However, it's very beneficial to have good strength endurance in your core muscles which you definitely should be working on in the gym.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Endurance will come from cycling, so lift heavy, to develop the muscle mass that will assist cycling. Lifting heavy also strengthens bones (cycling a lot can weaken bones, per research).

Keep in mind that too high a training volume will be negatively affect your cycling.

Which exercises were you planning on doing?

Squats, lunges, step ups, hammy curls, leg press, calf raises, that sort of thing.

From what I'm hearing, I think I may just focus on core and upper body. My legs are already far and away my most muscular part.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Leg exercises are still important since they train lifting ability (your ability to lift things in daily life without hurting yourself) and also maintain bone strength, which, as previously stated, can decline from cycling.
    It doesn't take much - one heavy set of squats, deadlifts, lunges, and side lunges twice a week should cover all your bases.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely zero point to lifting weights specifically to improve cycling. You ride to improve your cycling. Sprints, long endurance, etc but its all cycling.

Lifting weights will only slow you down. Now, if you are not attempting to be at the pinnacle of your cycling ability, then by all means lift. It can be beneficial for many other reasons, but none of those reasons is to get faster at cycling.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    so lift heavy, to develop the muscle mass that will assist cycling. Lifting heavy also strengthens bones (cycling a lot can weaken bones, per research).

No

What? No.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Don't think I'd lift to help cycling. Instead lift to complement it. Upper body, glutes, hamstrings. Lots of lower bod stretching to keep hip flexors loose. That sort of thing.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    clipped in or not? Quad exercises like leg presses are great for the up movement. Glute exercises for the down. Watch out for those hip flexors though!

The best uphill cyclists have muscley legs and quite small upper bodies, so they don't have to take much body weight up hills. Cyclists on the flat a different story.

Nothing beats just cycling, I'm lucky to be able to fit 6-8 10k sprints per week into my commute through central London. It's a very competitive environment!

Every morning 6-7.30 there are nutters whizzing round Regent's Park as its closed to traffic. 3 1/2 times round for the 10 mile time trial.

This time of year as I build up to my races I find weight training and it's painful recovery just gets in the way of my sports! I do the minimum and wait for winter to weight train and bulk.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    There is absolutely zero point to lifting weights specifically to improve cycling. You ride to improve your cycling. Sprints, long endurance, etc but its all cycling.

Lifting weights will only slow you down. Now, if you are not attempting to be at the pinnacle of your cycling ability, then by all means lift. It can be beneficial for many other reasons, but none of those reasons is to get faster at cycling.

For somebody that is somewhat of an endurance athlete I agree that you do not want to do anything that will cause muscle hypertrophy. With that being said, improving one's strength will help them to be more efficient in movement be it running or cycling.

Focus on your cycling training for your cycling endurance and use strength training to improve just that, your strength. The more force you can apply to the pedals the more velocity you can create when needed. The stronger you are the less force you will have to consistently apply, thereby making you more efficient and conserving energy.

Keep your strength training simple. I can only give a generalization since I know nothing about you or how you move but here is what your training MIGHT look like.

- Day 1
    a1. Squat 80% - 90% of your 1RM for 5 sets of 3-5 reps
    a2. Box Jumps or Broad Jumps 5-8 reps
    b1. Standing Press 80%-90% of your 1RM for 5sets of 3-5 reps
    b2. Lat Pulldowns 70% - 80% of 1RM 2-4 sets of 8-12 reps
    c1. Side Planks
    c2. Front Planks
    **This will help improve maximal strength and power production. When you need to "hit the gas" quickly that's power production and is important for initial speed production.
    **Upper body is still important as it helps maintain posture and balance

- Day 2
    a1. Barbell or Dumbbell Step-ups 70-80% 2-4 sets of 8-12 reps
    a2. Lunges with balance 2-4 sets of 12-20 reps
    ** The knee of your back leg should touch the ground on the lunge
    ** The balance portion of the lunge means when you stand-up bring the alternate leg up to your waist and hold for 2-sec's before proceeding into the next rep
    b1. Incline Bench (DB or BB or Hammer Strength plate loaded machine) 70%-80% 2-4 sets of 8-12 reps
    b2. Standing Cable press (feet together, do not lean into it for leverage) 2-4sets 12-20 reps (press--> 2-sec hold at peak --> 4-sec eccentric)
    c1. DB Rows 2-4 x 8-12 reps
    c2. Back raises 2-4 sets 12-20 reps (use tempo from B2)
    **I realize C1 & C2 are not exactly the same parts of the back

That's all, just 2-days of strength training, progress the weight 10lbs / 5lbs (lower / upper) every 4 weeks. The one day will really help with strength and power production which you won't get from cycling and day 2 will help improve unilateral strength, stability, and endurance to some degree.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP - hope you have noticed the cyclists in this thread all say nothing beats cycling to improve your cycling.

There's a world of difference between anaerobic strength and consistent aerobic power over a prolonged period of time.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Joe Friel, author of The Cyclist’s Training Bible, is in favor of cyclists lifting weights.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2014/12/should-you-lift-weights.html
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    So I'm getting pretty into cycling here lately.

I want to train my legs for it. Obviously, cycling itself is one component.

But in the weight room... I know the exercises that target the quads, hams, glutes, and calves.

My question is, do I want to do high weight low rep to gain strength, or low weight high rep to gain endurance, or both?

My suggestion would be to do the weights work during the winter, and focus on the cycling during the spring, summer, and autumn.

When you do your weights work in the winter, do a complete body workout. A strong core is just as important as strong legs.
  • seven3
    seven3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

My suggestion would be to do the weights work during the winter, and focus on the cycling during the spring, summer, and autumn.

When you do your weights work in the winter, do a complete body workout. A strong core is just as important as strong legs.[/quote]

Good advice, and consistent with Joe Friel's Training Bible (a must read for any competitive cyclist). You do the majority of your strength training in the off season (usually winter unless you race cyclocross). Squats, leg press, deadlifts, box step ups, leg curls, and core exercises like back extensions and planks are good. Once the season starts in spring, workouts are on the bike. Masters racers (40+, like me) can benefit from one or two short strength sessions a week, but they should be for maintenance rather than making big gains in the weight room. Upper body work may help mountain bikers and cyclocrossers somewhat, but is largely worthless for road cyclists. Strength to weight ratio is very important for cycling performance, so extra bulk won't help. It's just more weight that you have to move up hills.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am a competitive cyclist and I can tell you what I did last year for what that is worth.

I lifted all year long twice a week on a maintenance schedule that combined core with high rep low weight exercises. I did not ignore anything in my routine. Legs and upper body were worked. I lifted on Tuesday and Thursday in the morning and did intense track workouts in the evenings.

The guy that coached me has a very impressive palmares in professional cycling. He also coached the US Olympic team as well as the Canadian Olympic team. In short he knows his *kitten*. We agreed on the lifting routine. He put together the road and track training programs.

My focus was US Track Natz, US Road Natz (Criterium) and World Track Championships. I am not a pure sprinter, I do the mass start events, Point Race, Scratch Race and Pursuits. So I'm considered an endurance rider. I mention this as to address those that think of track in terms of the match sprinters that spend hours in the weight room.

Now to qualify my program with results. Last year (2014) I won 2 US Track Natz titles, the US Crit title and 2 World titles (Masters).

Yeah, don't avoid weights.