Is it normal to get this bloated?!

Options
I'm 5' 6", about 130 pounds. By the end of the day most days my stomach is very bloated (as in the picture). At other times (especially in the mornings) my stomach can be pretty flat. At least half the size of what it is in the picture.

I didn't even eat a ridiculous amount or particularly unhealthily today. I just ate at maintenance.

Any tips on what to do to reduce the bloating? This seems to happen whatever I do, whether I eat mostly veg and lean meats all day, or whatever else. The only way to lessen it is to just eat way less, but that's not sustainable at all (it means going below 1000 calories at least).

Help!38iaf2lp27dw.jpg

Replies

• summers09jo
    summers09jo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm sorry I can't help you as I'm having the same problem too :( it's the end of the day I always seem to be bloated also and I've eaten chicken and vegetables and not large potions either .. Very strange :(
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Drink alot of water and watch your sodium intake
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get like that after eating a big meal, usually dinner. I thought it was normal??? Annoying, but normal
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    Drink alot of water and watch your sodium intake

Even when I do that, and make sure I get lots of fibre, it doesn't particularly help. :(
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I get like that after eating a big meal, usually dinner. I thought it was normal??? Annoying, but normal

Hm, maybe it is normal then. That's a reassurance!
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i always feel bloated by the afternoon too, worse time for progress pics lol
  • Christine_72
    Options

My tummy is alot flatter in the morning. By bed time i can look 4mths pregnant :disappointed:

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options

My tummy is alot flatter in the morning. By bed time i can look 4mths pregnant :disappointed:

Me too
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    This happens to me often, especially when I eat more inflammatory foods around "that" time of the month. I do find that drinking water all day with meals and in between helps a lot, not just chugging it a few times a day when I forget more often. I also find that if I'm not.... regular... its more of a problem (for obvious reasons) which with IBS is an ongoing problem.
  • crfeen
    crfeen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    possible you have IBS or some kind of inflammatory disease? I have IBS and I CANNOT eat kale or spinach--my stomach gets SO bloated.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I wish i knew the difference between normal bloating and medically induced bloating. I don't think i have any IBS issues, i drink alot of milk and haven't cut anything out of my diet. I'm sure i would know if a food was bloating me, right? As surely there would be other symptoms other than bloating??
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I wish i knew the difference between normal bloating and medically induced bloating. I don't think i have any IBS issues, i drink alot of milk and haven't cut anything out of my diet. I'm sure i would know if a food was bloating me, right? As surely there would be other symptoms other than bloating??

Which foods cause IBS symptoms to arise are different for everyone. For me, too many raw vegetables (brassicas in particular) and wheat are huge triggers. My main symptom is bloating and gas but if I am too inflamed it can also cause major digestive upsets. For my MIL its spicy foods or dairy that cause issues, she could eat as much raw cabbage and broccoli as she wants.

For the most part it's trial and error and in the end what symptoms you are willing to deal with in order to eat certain things.

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have IBS too and cauliflower is a big trigger for bloating for me. I'm also sensitive to garlic and if I have too much milk or milk products I'm bloated. A little bit of bloating isn't abnormal but if you're getting REALLY bloated, especially if you're uncomfortable, then you might want to pay close attention to what you're eating when you bloat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm always bloated. But I love the foods I eat and feel okay so have never changed it. I notice my fiber being on the very high side and wonder if that's it.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get really bloated at night too, I just try to ignore it because this has always happened to me and I know it's not "real" weight gain and it'll probably be gone in 12 hours.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm not out of line but...that is some serious bloat, OP. Can we see a before bloat pic?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I hope I'm not out of line but...that is some serious bloat, OP. Can we see a before bloat pic?

+1
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Same here, my mother as well...my stepfather always calls us "the boa constrictors" because if we eat a big meal, we might as well be pregnant.

We both have rather slight frames....I think we just don't have room to contain our innards when they are full of food. By morning all is right with the world again. I'm in the neighborhood of OPs height and weight, so I kind of get that....you are likely pretty small framed to begin with, one big meal and you're like....

Vollgefressen1.jpg
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Align probiotics, fiber gummies, lots of water, & low sodium/gluten free help keep my bloat in check. Have you checked with your doctor?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Try excluding wheat and dairy from your diet for a week. You'll probably find those are problem foods for your body, unfortunately.