Carbs or Net carbs

Options
Which should I be more concerned with? Also how low on carbs should I be, I have my goal at 30% which is like 100 g. I'm trying low carb as recommended by my doctor for insulin resistance

Replies

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been reading up on this also for insulin resistance. I have found anything definitive, but I think that the fiber may have some impact on insulin, therefore carb counting for insulin resistance is generally total carbs, not net carbs.

I was at 100 - 150 on most days, but have just reduced my carbs to around 50 grams. I'm doing okay so far.

There might be some other opinions on this.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Try here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104605/who-is-here-due-to-pre-diabetes-type-2-insulin-resistance-etc/p1

It's the catch all thread for diabetics/IR/etc in the Low Carb group
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes but I'm doing low carb for my thyroid issues. Today I have 12g net carbs. 35g total if you count all carb intake. I've gone much lower than this and I feel great either way. Out of all the diets I've tried, this has really helped me the most.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    AnarchoGen wrote: »
    I don't have diabetes but I'm doing low carb for my thyroid issues. Today I have 12g net carbs. 35g total if you count all carb intake. I've gone much lower than this and I feel great either way. Out of all the diets I've tried, this has really helped me the most.

I have thyroid issues too, however my levels seem pretty steady lately. I didn't realize carbohydrates effect the thyroid too.

I've been trying to stay under 100g a day. After about 4 days of going low carb I went a whole morning, from wake up to around 1:30 with no carbs and I nearly fainted. I've seen that a lot of people doing low carb try to stay under 50g but I'm nervous I will feel like that again.