Woman Question... What do you do to curve cravings during that time? Ideas please!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    I get totally ravenous before my TOM. I don't actually (TMI TMI) have a period (no not due to weight loss etc) but I still have all the hormonal effects of a cycle. So although I have no visible TOM I can track it pretty easily by those few days of ravenous cravings.

Usually I just eat at maintenance on those days :blush: and then I consider it a victory if I do that. I just get so haaaaaangry

Well, it's obviously working out for you because you look wonderful!

My mom didn't technically get a period from the age of 40 onward. This was due to a partial hysterectomy. Her uterus was removed but she retained one ovary. (The other had been non-functional and atrophied for years.) She could ALWAYS tell when she was having PMS. It was like clockwork.

• golfgirl99
    golfgirl99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fudgecicles are my go to chocolate fix. I'll have up to 4 of them and if I need something even more decadent I plan for it like others above have said (if you check my food diary you'll see I had four cake pops for breakfast the other day)......It is so difficult not to eat ALL THE THINGS though!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    dealing with the PMS right now i will NEVER be able to fight the cravings its like my body takes control and I'm a prisoner to my hormones haha. I just make the calories fit... try to get some extra fitness in and deal with being a couple hundred over for a couple days.
  • LotusFlwr2013
    LotusFlwr2013 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ok, so ima check out this fudgecicles thing and again its great to know I am not alone.... :)
  • LotusFlwr2013
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    LOL, no but geek or not who doesn't like Star Wars? Ok yeah I'm a geek too... expect random LOTR and marvel universe references as well.... B)

I'm a DC girl, myself. Major Batman fan.

Hey im not hating on your DC bad boy... Superman was my first love, but Captain America stole me away.... even if your man did beat my man in 3 of 4 contests but hey fans got a say and Batman has more....although if you switch alliances you'd probably be more of a wolverine fan (the original marvel bad boy no matter how much they try to make it Spidy lol).

• m0nsterrrx
    m0nsterrrx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been filling up on veggies in lowfat dressing or hummus! Just find a healthy option to fill up on and drink water!
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well, this time - my first on MFP - I made it through by pigging out on lean protein and unlimited fruit. I gained 2 lbs in water weight, and it all left me the 3rd day, so overall, I stayed on track that week.
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    m0nsterrrx wrote: »
    I've been filling up on veggies in lowfat dressing or hummus! Just find a healthy option to fill up on and drink water!
    Yeah - that's what I did. Drank tons of water. It worked!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    CURB, not CURVE.

There is nothing wrong with eating chocolate. It's entirely possible to work a serving of dark chocolate into your eating plan for the day.

You might want to check this out. PMS is essentially a cultural myth--stop using it as an excuse for making bad choices.

ted.com/talks/robyn_stein_deluca_the_good_news_about_pms

I have also had a hysterectomy, though I still have my ovaries. The only way I have any idea where I am in my cycle is when I occasionally feel a twinge of ovulation pain. It doesn't change what I crave or what I choose to eat at all.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    LOL, no but geek or not who doesn't like Star Wars? Ok yeah I'm a geek too... expect random LOTR and marvel universe references as well.... B)

I'm a DC girl, myself. Major Batman fan.

Hey im not hating on your DC bad boy... Superman was my first love, but Captain America stole me away.... even if your man did beat my man in 3 of 4 contests but hey fans got a say and Batman has more....although if you switch alliances you'd probably be more of a wolverine fan (the original marvel bad boy no matter how much they try to make it Spidy lol).

Wolverine is a little overdone. I would be for Gambit. Something about bo staffs I love. (Donatello from turtles, deathstroke, and my all time favorite character, robin)
  • LotusFlwr2013
    Options
    CURB, not CURVE.

There is nothing wrong with eating chocolate. It's entirely possible to work a serving of dark chocolate into your eating plan for the day.

You might want to check this out. PMS is essentially a cultural myth--stop using it as an excuse for making bad choices.

ted.com/talks/robyn_stein_deluca_the_good_news_about_pms

I have also had a hysterectomy, though I still have my ovaries. The only way I have any idea where I am in my cycle is when I occasionally feel a twinge of ovulation pain. It doesn't change what I crave or what I choose to eat at all.

FIRST, my curve was a play on words, being as this is a weight thing… curve, curves, curvy women… do you follow now???... but next time I will do the obvious “quotes” for all the grammar police… sorry am I supposed to capitalize but, oh wait not supposed to start with but at all right? LOL

SECOND, despite your demeaning assumption of irresponsibility I actually state that I have curved my general bad eating habits by eating better… you do realize this is a WEIGHT LOSS forum right and therefore people ARE taking ownership of their eating…unhuh…. BUT I having cravings during “this” time and want help to STOP them..... So where in the world did I say I am eating badly and blame PMS???? RIGHT… assume much?

THIRD, your article states clearly "So the good news about PMS is that while some women get some symptoms because of the menstrual cycle, the great majority don't get a mental disorder"... meaning that I DO IN FACT GET CRAVINGS and doesn't at all support what you said... did YOU read the article?
    FOURTH, this was not about PMS nor did I state it was, I was talking about a symptom I get right before MY TIME... and since you are so interested in MY biology, I don't have regular cycles, sometimes monthly, sometimes once every couple of months, the ONLY way I know it’s coming is CRAVINGS 3 days before, crying randomly, and the day of EXTREME pain... you are welcome for a rundown of MY experience

LASTLY, just because you are one of the lucky few who experience nothing, before or after your hysterectomy, does not mean everyone else doesn't and to assume such is ignorant at best.... it’s the equivalent of saying you are a girl so you can have a baby because that's how science says girls work; knowing none of their medical history....

GOD BLESS
  • beth557755
    beth557755 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you Natalie, glad to know it helped someone else too... I just felt bad eating my four pieces of dove chocolate today like I was quitting already, but to know other people do this (within their calorie intake) and still meet their goals makes me feel better... o:)

What I do is I get the Garden Lites Chocolate flavor veggie muffin. I save them for that time of the month and I have one with a meal and eat it slowly. It satisfies the chocolate craving and since I eat it at the end of a meal, I am full. It's in the freezer section at the grocery store in the area with the organic options. I don't ever feel guilty because the ingredient list is very clean and the base is veggies even though you can't taste them. Eating a couple of squares of chocolate in between a meal sets off the candy junk food munching beast in me so I can't personally do that, but if you can, then more power to you :)
  • LotusFlwr2013
    Options

What I do is I get the Garden Lites Chocolate flavor veggie muffin. I save them for that time of the month and I have one with a meal and eat it slowly. It satisfies the chocolate craving and since I eat it at the end of a meal, I am full. It's in the freezer section at the grocery store in the area with the organic options. I don't ever feel guilty because the ingredient list is very clean and the base is veggies even though you can't taste them. Eating a couple of squares of chocolate in between a meal sets off the candy junk food munching beast in me so I can't personally do that, but if you can, then more power to you :)[/quote]

I have never heard of those, gonna check them out.... thank you

• CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 30 days to break a habit, and I find that eating healthier I no longer have regular cravings for chocolate or salt..... but then those three silly days before my period hit and I literally dream about chocolate and potato chips... has anyone found a way to stop this or is my best bet just trying to eat a healthy dark chocolate and baked chip option....thank you for any help!!!!

I put cocoa in my coffee with some coconut oil and blend it till its frothy. As for potato chips. Do homemade kale chips. They are easy to make and you can't taste much difference if at all.
  • Fat2Fit68
    Fat2Fit68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on MFP had sent this to me when I was having a HORRIBLE day due to my PMS, I swear, the older I get, the worse the symptoms get ughhhh!!!! Anyways it talks about CALORIE CYCLING, which I had never heard of before reading this link, I will definitely give it a try on those crappy days....

http://www.builtdaily.com/power-of-calorie-cycling/
  • LotusFlwr2013
    Options
    [/quote]

I put cocoa in my coffee with some coconut oil and blend it till its frothy. As for potato chips. Do homemade kale chips. They are easy to make and you can't taste much difference if at all.[/quote]

Kale chips? Have to look that up....mmmm I do like coconut milk...

• LotusFlwr2013
    Options
    Fat2Fit68 wrote: »
    One of my friends on MFP had sent this to me when I was having a HORRIBLE day due to my PMS, I swear, the older I get, the worse the symptoms get ughhhh!!!! Anyways it talks about CALORIE CYCLING, which I had never heard of before reading this link, I will definitely give it a try on those crappy days....

http://www.builtdaily.com/power-of-calorie-cycling/

Never even heard of this but I am gonna try it.... thank you!