I'm lost when it comes to protein

Options
When and why should I drink protein shakes?
Iv decided to drink whey protein.
But should I drink them even if I don't work out that day? Help!!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    People drink protein shakes to help reach their daily protein goal. If you're reaching that goal with just regular food, you do not need a protein supplement. When you drink it generally doesn't matter.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I tried protein shakes for awhile, they just weren't for me. But, I used to use them to fill in when I could tell I wasn't going to get enough protein from my diet. Now, I just have a couple scrambled eggs, or chicken, or leftover pot roast from last night, or a can of tuna.. and so on..
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do mine after my workout, just because I like to try to get a good burst of protein in within 30 minutes of workouts.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Should you eat any meat or protein if you dont work out that day?

Its a protein supplements in addition to a normal diet.

Not something thats going to make you gain 20kg of lean mass in a weak

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I do mine after my workout, because you have to get protein in within 30 minutes of workouts.

This is a common misconception and is generally untrue. I would worry less about timing and more about overall macro balance.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I do mine after my workout, because you have to get protein in within 30 minutes of workouts.

This is a common misconception and is generally untrue. I would worry less about timing and more about overall macro balance.

I wasn't actually claiming that you "have to" get protein within 30 minutes of working out, because I'm not a nutritionist or exercise science guru and don't claim to have knowledge like they do. I simply said that I like to. :) I feel like I'm better energized and not as hungry for the rest of the if I have protein after working out. Plus I usually don't feel like gobbling down on some food following my workout, but a lot of times I'm heading to work or school for a while after that, so it's good to get something easy in my stomach that will keep me full for a while.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Because it tastes good haha my uncle made me a mango protein shake and it was really delicious, I needed more! If only whey protein wasn't so expensive here
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

This is a common focus and is generally true. I would concentrate on timing along with overall macro balance.

I wasn't actually claiming that you "have to" get protein within 30 minutes of working out, because I'm not a nutritionist or exercise science guru and don't claim to have knowledge like they do. I simply said that I like to. :) I feel like I'm better energized and not as hungry for the rest of the if I have protein after working out. Plus I usually don't feel like gobbling down on some food following my workout, but a lot of times I'm heading to work or school for a while after that, so it's good to get something easy in my stomach that will keep me full for a while.

I don't undestand why he's giving you that advice. Digestion alone takes longer than 30 minutes.
    I tend to also eat something after a hard session - it's not about a protein window, it's about I'm hungry window.
  • albertosigu
    Options
    corinas505 wrote: »
    When and why should I drink protein shakes?
    Iv decided to drink whey protein.
    But should I drink them even if I don't work out that day? Help!!
    Hey, I usually take my protein in the morning after a warm glass of water. And right after my workout (about 2x a day). However I do have a pretty hight protein and low fat diet (I eat every 4hours).

I trying to lean out and gain muscle mass.

What's your goal?

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I add kale, spirulina, berries and almond milk to my protein powder to make a green smoothie so I get a good dose of 'green' stuff then too! I use protein powder mainly to up my protein intake each day, whether I'm exercising that day or not. If ou find you're getting a high amount of protein elsewhere then I'd just have the protein powder as a quick back up for say when you don't have time to make a meal, i.e. breakfast.