Juicing for weight loss

Options
howdy folks!! Just wondering if any y'all have done the juicing diet? I've watched that documentary on Joe Ross? and he lost weight n is in great health.
My Dr needs me to lose 30 pounds as I am at a high risk of heart attack.
I'm 240 lbs, recently started walking, BP has decreased due to walks, size 18, 5'4"
Someone please get back to me.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If your health is at stake then the question should be is it better to lose weight in unhealthy way or try to have to healthiest lifestyle you can?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Why not just use the tools MFP provides. Count your calories and just eat at a calorie deficit. Personally I can think of nothing more grim than just juicing. I'd rather eat a balanced diet with variety that is sustainable long term.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    His name is Joe Cross, and he did his juice fast under careful watch of a doctor. Talk to your doctor and see what they think, and if your doctor says it's okay, then sure. However you don't need to. Until then use MFP.
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My opinion, juicing is not the way to go. It's expensive, wasteful and you end up losing out of much needed fiber and other nutrients. Add fresh juice to an already balanced diet.
    Eat real food, you know lean meats, seafood, lentils and legumes, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, dairy etc... Drink water and plain tea/coffee, be active and you will drop that weight.

Since your doctor made the recommendation, ask them to refer you to a dietitian for better guidance.

It's important that you learn life long health skills, not just a "get thin" quick method. I have lost over 65lbs by being active and learning to eat well.

Good luck you can do it!!!

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The weight lost in that pseudo-documentary was regained leading to a sequel. That is quite telling of the effectiveness of the plan.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My uncle needed to lose 20 pounds so that he could have surgery. He did it by cutting carbs and eating 1000 calories a day. Mostly chicken and vegetables. His doctor told him to eat Progresso low sodium chicken soup as well. Good luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit for weight loss is all that required. Juice is good with some vodka in it though :smiley:
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat food.

There's a world of tasty food out there.

Eat it.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Maintaining a lifestyle (rather than diet) of sustainable foods that you will continue to eat (and even BETTER if you enjoy eating those foods) is the best way to go. I know we all want it to happen quickly, but it won't last long-term. Good luck!
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a kick start from a juicing program. I love juicing but admittedly don't do it all that often. I was never a fan of how much I threw away though.

If you do a juice fast for a few days it is wise to be sure to check with your doctor first. But if you do it and drop a few pounds quickly it is an awesome motivator to continue to eat healthy and exercise. Once that scale starts moving in the right direction and when your clothes start to fit better it is very addicting, and if a juice fast gets you started, then more power to you :-)
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Caloric deficit for weight loss is all that required. Juice is good with some vodka in it though :smiley:

Best advice yet! B)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Next time before asking a question for the 2348903284908490234th time, USE the SEARCH area and type in "juice cleanse" or "juicing".

And as said, do something that you can do forever that teaches you moderation.

vada44 wrote: »
    My uncle needed to lose 20 pounds so that he could have surgery. He did it by cutting carbs and eating 1000 calories a day. Mostly chicken and vegetables. His doctor told him to eat Progresso low sodium chicken soup as well. Good luck.
    You do realize this was meant only so he could lose quickly for surgery and not for an overall sustainable long term choice, right? :unamused:

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You're far better off in the long term making healthy choices, eating at a deficit, and exercising.

And for individual who knows someone who dropped 20 pounds by cutting carbs and eating 1000 calories a day - NOPE. Not healthy or viable at all. Don't ever do that please!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Eat however you want as long as it is at a deficit. That being said are you going to drink juice your entire life? At some point you will stop 'juicing" and then what? Whatever your 'and then what' ends up being why not just do that to lose weight because then it will be sustainable.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »

What? No. OP...don't do this. This is extreme and was - most likely - suggested by a doctor to prep for surgery.
    howdy folks!! Just wondering if any y'all have done the juicing diet? I've watched that documentary on Joe Ross? and he lost weight n is in great health.
    My Dr needs me to lose 30 pounds as I am at a high risk of heart attack.
    I'm 240 lbs, recently started walking, BP has decreased due to walks, size 18, 5'4"
    Someone please get back to me.

Juicing isn't sustainable. And if you're using the traditional method of juicing, you're removing pulp (fiber) and leaving only juice.

Additionally, you could juice all day and still consume more calories than you are expending which won't help you at all. Your body will be missing out on essential macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients it won't get from juicing, either.

Ask your doctor or look into a nutritionist to help. Otherwise, weigh your food, keep getting out and walking, count calories, and log your food. A lot of folks have found this to be the most sustainable method for not only losing weight, but keeping the weight off as well. Best of luck to you.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Joe Cross lost weight due to a calorie deficit. You can create a calorie deficit while eating actual food.
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Be careful with juice. Fruit juice contains a lot of sugars and you could easily keep drinking and not get satiated.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who realizes that he only did _one_ post, and it was on April Fool's Day?

But in case anyone else takes him seriously...
    Sorry for the necropost, but in case someone does a search looking for info, I want them to find
    solid scientific reasons to dissuade them from 'juicing'.

Drinking a lot of juice is not a healthy way to lose weight, and if you go over your necessary calories you _won't_
    lose weight. Eating calories tells your body it's full. Drinking calories does not.

Here's a good place to start searching for reliable peer-reviewed research about health topics:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19110020
    The effect of fruit in different forms on energy intake and satiety at a meal
    "whole apple increased satiety more than applesauce or apple juice... results suggest that solid fruit affects satiety
    more than pureed fruit or juice, and that eating fruit at the start of a meal can reduce energy intake."
    The abstract has a link to the full article, for free.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6259919
    The role of dietary fiber in satiety, glucose, and insulin: studies with fruit and fruit juice
    "Satiety, assessed by two subjective scoring systems, was greater after whole fruit than after juice and the return of
    appetite was delayed. With oranges, as previously reported with apples, there was a significantly smaller insulin
    response to fruit than to juice and less postabsorptive fall in plasma glucose."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17579632
    Effects of food form on appetite and energy intake in lean and obese young adults
    "total daily energy intake was significantly higher ... on days the beverage forms of the high-carbohydrate, -fat and
    -protein foods were ingested... This was due more to a weak effect on satiety"
    (IOW, solid foods are more satisfying, even if the liquid form has the same # of calories.)

For advice on how to lose weight in a healthy way, read these, especially sexypants.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1