How do I know if it's time for new running shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A couple of other suggestion which I get from runners when my knee was hurting : 1 ) visit orthopedist 2) eat more avocado 3) rest until it stops hurting 4) the earlier u do something about it the less u have to rest 5) elastic bandage and Perskindol befor running 6) Deep Relief 7) it could be a pinched nerve in your back or your running technic might be wrong 8) you could be flat-footed 9)orthopedic insoles, don't run down hill do- running on sand, interval running,running up hill, exercise on place for legs and back-jumping squats,burpees,lunges

that is from ppl running marathons and ultramarathons
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    How do you know if it's time? If they are making your feet hurt! There is rule of thumb of 350 miles but I have been able to get over 2000 miles on a few pairs of shoes. If your biomechanics are good and you wear low heeled neutral shoes you can just about use them until your feet are sticking out.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Also in addition of buying new running shoes do some cross training ( joga, swimming,cycling)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't using your running shoes, the rubber can degrade over time. It sounds like you bought them 2 to 3 years ago - it is time for new. Also, are you trying to pick up where you left off? I suspect you may also be trying to do too much right away. Even though your lungs remember, your legs and feet need to adjust.

I <3 my vibrams, but I do not run in them. I tried, but I weigh too much and the transition to running in them was too hard on my calves, shins, etc.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    YOU are training again and you're going to stick with it ! before you know it, you'll be a marathon runner! Buy new shoes.... maybe not cause you NEED them but because YOU DESERVE IT!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't using your running shoes, the rubber can degrade over time. It sounds like you bought them 2 to 3 years ago - it is time for new. Also, are you trying to pick up where you left off? I suspect you may also be trying to do too much right away. Even though your lungs remember, your legs and feet need to adjust.

I <3 my vibrams, but I do not run in them. I tried, but I weigh too much and the transition to running in them was too hard on my calves, shins, etc.

Not picking up where I left off - I started completely over with Couch to 5k, week one day one. Running every other day and I've stuck to the program even when I felt I was capable of skipping ahead.

I'm a heavy forefoot striker - I can't even imagine trying to run in Vibrams.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Lazz5k wrote: »
    YOU are training again and you're going to stick with it ! before you know it, you'll be a marathon runner! Buy new shoes.... maybe not cause you NEED them but because YOU DESERVE IT!

I like you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Well, my original plan with the existing shoes was to purchase that pair at the running store, then purchase future identical pairs from the web.

That's my approach. Pretty parasitic to do otherwise IMHO.

I agree, for any kind of shoes. If it is a self service store, I don't care but if someone takes the time and effort to help me find the right shoe, I buy there. It doesn't matter if they are commission or not, it is the right thing to do.

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Now my shins start hurting while I'm doing my warm-up walk, and don't stop till the workout is over (no lasting pain so far). The bottoms of the balls of my feet are hurting, they feel almost bruised.

I'm pretty sure these shoes don't have the recommended 300 - 450 miles on them, although I lost my mileage log when my smartphone gave up the ghost.

Check the wear pattern. Also if they flex/fold at the ball of the foot easily they are probably shot. In my opinion any unusual pain/discomfort, outside of 'getting back in shape pain' is usually a sign it's time for new shoes. (Or a refitting.) Even if you don't think you've maxed out the mileage on the existing pair it's a good idea to start phasing in new shoes before your old ones are completely dead anyway.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I get fitted once a year(ish) and then buy new pairs on eBay as needed for roughly 2/3 the price in stores.

I'd personally encourage someone making use of the fitting service then actually use the place that's provided the service. Unless of course the shop charge for the fitting service as a separate item, then offset against purchase.

Well, my original plan with the existing shoes was to purchase that pair at the running store, then purchase future identical pairs from the web.

This is what I actually do, sorry I wasn't clear in my initial reply. I hate taking advantage of the knowledge but spending my dollars elsewhere so I at least buy the first pair from the store that does the fitting, then additional pairs as needed online.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist always recommends getting new shoes every year because once they are worn they don't have the same support. I've never heard of the mileage thing.