Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Options
SLLRunner
SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
I like trying different recipes just for fun, and found this one below, which I adapted to my won tastes. Mmmmm.....delicious!

Ingredients:
243 grams of canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons fat free milk (regular, skim, coconut, whatever you like)
36 grams of peanut butter
14 grams of butter
16 grams flour
10 grams of stevia (or sugar or agave nectar)
4 grams baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch cinnamon
Pinch salt
21 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
64 grams Nestle Toll House chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.

In a food processor, or using a hand mixer, combine the beans, milk, peanut butter, butter and vanilla and process until smooth. Working in small batches, add the dry mixture to the food processor and process until fully incorporated (it will resemble mousse). Transfer to a bowl and fold in the chocolate chips (do not process).

Drop heaping soup spoonfuls onto a prepared baking sheet. Flatten each cookie with a fork or knife, as they will not spread out on their own. Bake for about 12-15 minutes (the cookies will still be a bit soft). Cool the cookies on the pan for a few minutes and then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store in the refrigerator due to the black beans.

Nutrition Information, per serving:

14 grams per serving
49 calories
3.0 total fat
5.0 total carbs
1.0 total protein

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    The only beans I have are uh... red kidney beans LOL. but cookies :(
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    The only beans I have are uh... red kidney beans LOL. but cookies :(
    I thought the same thing, but these are really good.
  • SLLRunner
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @MRM27, sooo cute. :D

I guess not everybody is excited about the cookies made with black beans. Not something I would eat every day because I have the good old fashioned cookies in the cabinet, but they really are good.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah... Some things are just wrong. Black beans in my cookies just seem wrong. I'd rather make the normal kind as a really rare treat.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Yeah... Some things are just wrong. Black beans in my cookies just seem wrong. I'd rather make the normal kind as a really rare treat.

I like trying different things, but I can understand people being reluctant to try them. You can't taste the black beans at all, and use a gluten free flour and those with celiac disease can eat them.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I actually WOULD try them if I had black beans, but like I said all I have are kidney beans. I've made bean-based brownies before, they were ew. But they also lacked sweetener :/
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You lost me when you listed black beans and I love black beans!! :P

ETA: I do like how you have everything measured in grams. ;)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I like adzuki beans in dessert and baked beans in maple syrup so I can see this working. I made the black bean brownies and they were meh. Too much work and I had no patience.
  • ana3067
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I like adzuki beans in dessert and baked beans in maple syrup so I can see this working. I made the black bean brownies and they were meh. Too much work and I had no patience.

185550.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'll try them with a gluten free flour. Maybe coconut. Or garbanzo bean. For beanception. Thanks!
  • zaeaton
    zaeaton Posts: 11
    Options
    I'd like to make these but how when everything is listed in grams??
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    So, Don the beau is hard to please when it comes to strangely made foods....and he LOVES them.

You can't actually taste the black beans.
    zaeaton wrote: »
    I'd like to make these but how when everything is listed in grams??

You have to weight your ingredients in order to have accuracy.
    I'll try them with a gluten free flour. Maybe coconut. Or garbanzo bean. For beanception. Thanks!

I can't wait to hear what you think of them.
  • erincricket
    erincricket Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think the key is the cocoa powder--it will block the taste of beans me thinks.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Wait... it IS April Fools Day. That has to be it?
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I made the black bean brownies from skinnytaste.com and they were really good. My kids had no clue and couldn't get enough of them. For them, the key was dark chocolate chip morsals.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I think the key is the cocoa powder--it will block the taste of beans me thinks.
    I also believe that is exactly it.
    UpEarly wrote: »

Nah, thread started earlier than yesterday. :)
    I made the black bean brownies from skinnytaste.com and they were really good. My kids had no clue and couldn't get enough of them. For them, the key was dark chocolate chip morsals.
    Excellent. I also thought it would be a good way to up my protein, but a serving has so little protein that it doesn't really matter.
  • ana3067
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Excellent. I also thought it would be a good way to up my protein, but a serving has so little protein that it doesn't really matter.

Maybe replace cocoa powder with chocolate protein powder? I'm really not a huge fan of cocoa powder, I find it tastes super bitter and can just make recipes taste gross unless used in small amounts or with lots of sweetener... or does sweetened cocoa powder exist? Ours here is unsweetened.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Maybe replace cocoa powder with chocolate protein powder? I'm really not a huge fan of cocoa powder, I find it tastes super bitter and can just make recipes taste gross unless used in small amounts or with lots of sweetener... or does sweetened cocoa powder exist? Ours here is unsweetened.

quik.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

quik.jpg

it's cocoa powder? I used to drinkt heir weird syrupy stuff!