Weight gain & maintance cals

Options
hello this is the first time I have posted. I have maintained my weight within 5 lbs for a year. I want to be able to up my calories more to maintenance level with out gaining back any of the weight. How can I do this successfully? Thanks for any of your thoughts

Replies

• brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you've been maintaining for a year, then aren't you already eating at maintenance level? If you want to stay the same weight but eat more calories, than you'd have to increase your activity level. Unless I am reading this incorrectly?
  • yapdog
    yapdog Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I probably didn't give enough info sorry,
    I am still eating my weight loss calorie goal but always less than that so I can save some for the weekends.
    I am active 3 times a week with running and weight training. When I change my goals to maintaining it jumps up a lot so I wanted to know how I can get closer to eating more without gaining the weight back.
    Thanks
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I am still not sure there is a difference there. I've got mine set on a deficit too, but I only eat at a small deficit several days a week. This is to compensate for the days I go over, so in the end it evens itself out and my "average" daily calories are right at my maintenance.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you would need to know what your overage is on the weekends and divide that by 7 to give yourself more calories during the week. You'd have to stop weekend binging though.
  • yapdog
    Options
    Thanks for your comments everyone, my excercise and weight goals were so out of date I've updated them now.
    The calories are still high so I'm going to work towards adding on slowly and try to find my balance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are maintaining your weight long term then you are at maintenance calories. That you manage that over a week instead of eating the same every day is just another way of distributing your calorie allowance (I do something similar).

So if you want to eat more without weight gain you need to either be more active or do more exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are maintaining your weight long term then you are at maintenance calories. That you manage that over a week instead of eating the same every day is just another way of distributing your calorie allowance (I do something similar).

So if you want to eat more without weight gain you need to either be more active or do more exercise.
    ^^ yep agree with this
  • yapdog
    Options
    Good advice, thanks