★★ Am I stupid?!★★

Options
I am trying to restrict myself to 1200 calories a day, and it is so bluddy hard. Anyone think it should be more. I have 3 stone exactly to loose xxx

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yup I think you should...depending on your stats...I bet you could eat a lot more and still lose a decent weekly amount of weight.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Yes. I think you are baiting me into insulting you. Nice try.

Get on IIFIYM.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are, but 1200 is very, very little. Find your TDEE using a calculator, like scoobyworkshop.com and then subtract 10 or 15 % from the TDEE for weight loss. My calorie limit for weight loss is 1950 calories a day. I am female, 40 years old, 5'9" and 184 pounds currently.

Edited to add: That is my calorie limit for SLOW weight loss. I could eat less and lose more aggressively, but I want something sustainable that I can do forever. If I restrict too much, I freak out and eat everything in sight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind losing a bit more slowly then of course you can up your calories.
    I'm 5ft 2", 45 yrs old and can lose 1/2lb per week eating 1800 cals (gross) –I'm active/workout 6 days a week/60 mins running and strength training 3 times/week. I maintain on 2200.
  • Kelly79L
    Kelly79L Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have to eat smart to keep up a 1200 diet, eat lean meat and loads of veg like broccoli and cauliflower, you can have anything you want and lose weight if you are at a deficit but you will be hungry if you eat calorie dense foods
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? (Age, Height, Current Weight) How did you arrive at 1200 calories per day? Did that come from a calculator (in which case, did you select the highest and fastest rate of loss? You don't have enough to lose for that.) or did you just grab it from the 8000 magazine articles out there that say that's what you eat to lose weight?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    ackerman77 wrote: »
    I am trying to restrict myself to 1200 calories a day, and it is so bluddy hard. Anyone think it should be more. I have 3 stone exactly to loose xxx
    Probably not. Misinformed probably. The "go to" calorie restriction for females seems to be 1200 in just about every magazine, diet program, etc. As mentioned, if you find out your approximate TDEE and reduce it by 20%, that would be a pretty good target calorie goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Probably not. Misinformed probably. The "go to" calorie restriction for females seems to be 1200 in just about every magazine, diet program, etc. As mentioned, if you find out your approximate TDEE and reduce it by 20%, that would be a pretty good target calorie goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

All of this, OP.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Stupid? I don't know you, so the jury is out on that one.
    Uninformed? Most likely. 1200 is very low, and most people here artificially set their MFP to 1200 because it is the lowest it will allow you to go.

Find your maintenance calorie needs for your activity level, and then eat 500 calories less than that per day. Weigh your food, log your calories as honestly as possible, and you'll lose.
  • ackerman77
    ackerman77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 7, 37 and 13st 12lb. I was active until last year but unfortunately could not find the energy as became a carer for mum who sadly died 2 weeks ago and hold down a full time job. I will be returning to gym after easter and what ever I burn I will eat back- protein shake etc I try my best to eat clean- veg meat etc. I ama greedy cow and will admit that- my down fall chocolate. I just thought to kick start 1200 and then 1500?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Exercise and burn calories and those calories end up increasing your edible daily calories.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

Your basal metabolic rate is around 1599, and with a sedentary lifestyle, your maintenance calories are around 1919. If you were to work out 3 times a week, that jumps up to 2200.

1200 calories is far below what your body needs to just sustain life without any activity whatsoever.

The more you're active, the more calories you get to eat. If you're sedentary, you might only want to cut 250 - 300 calories per day out. With 3500 calories coming out to about 1lb, you'd expect to lose a pound every 12 days, or so.

If you were more active, and did work out three, or more times per week, you could make that deficit larger, and lose faster. At 3 times week, maintaining at 2200 calories, but eating only 1700 calories meaning 500 calories/day deficit, you could expect to lose 1lb/week.
  • HeySwoleSister
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am 5ft 7, 37 and 13st 12lb. I was active until last year but unfortunately could not find the energy as became a carer for mum who sadly died 2 weeks ago and hold down a full time job. I will be returning to gym after easter and what ever I burn I will eat back- protein shake etc I try my best to eat clean- veg meat etc. I ama greedy cow and will admit that- my down fall chocolate. I just thought to kick start 1200 and then 1500?

No, kick-starts are for motorbikes. You are a human.

If you are sedentary, your TDEE is 1922 calories. At a 20% deficit, you'd be eating 1500, which sounds like a good spot for you. That is the LOWEST you should go. Honestly, you don't sound like you are sedentary...so at lightly active, your TDEE is 2202, and a 20% deficit from there is 1760. So, honestly, you have lots of wiggle room ABOVE 1500. Not so much below if you want to keep your energy levels up and your willpower strong.

And, honestly, only eat "clean" if that's the way you've always preferred to eat. It's good to look for nutrient dense food, but adding layer after layer of restrictions on top of your calorie goals isn't a good idea. It sets you up for cravings and the mindset that you are "on a diet" and that you will "finish" and "go back to normal..." hello, pounds, welcome back.

And, I'm very sorry about the loss of your mum. Be kind to yourself as you grieve. This is actually another reason to avoid an overly restrictive plan...you don't want to set yourself up for misery or failure when you are already dealing with bereavement. Make fitness about joy. It will serve you well.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

When I started I was 40 and 5 ft 7 and weighed about 185lbs...(MFP start) I ate 1600 a day and lost 1lb a week...I can now eat 1800 and lose 1/2lb a week and this summer I will eat 2k and lose...exercise helps me in the summer.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm being stereotypical here, but a lot of ladies stick to 1200 calories a day (not sure if its because of stats etc).

There's no point sticking to 1200 calories, if you find it hard, it will be a struggle to be consistent.

• Gabbysmom23
    Gabbysmom23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    interesting. I am also set at 1200 cal/day. my job is sedentary, but I do work out hard 3x/week. I am 5'3", 162 lbs, but on the bone dense and muscular side. I'm kind of hungry on the 1200 myself, and I am trying to make sure I eat my exercise points. I'd like to lose atleast 1 lbs a week, which may be asking too much.

Sorry, to hijack, but this was a good question!
  • Gabbysmom23
    Gabbysmom23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    oh, and I'm almost 35 years old, I don't know if this makes a difference....
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

Your TDEE is 2174. A 20% deficit places you at 1739 calories per day. (Because this calculation includes your 3x week intense workouts, you wouldn't eat back exercise calories here) So, yeah, no wonder you're starving at 1200. Try going up to 1500-1600 at least, you'll still lose and you'll feel happier!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Your TDEE is 2174. A 20% deficit places you at 1739 calories per day. (Because this calculation includes your 3x week intense workouts, you wouldn't eat back exercise calories here) So, yeah, no wonder you're starving at 1200. Try going up to 1500-1600 at least, you'll still lose and you'll feel happier!

Yup...I so wish more woman would realize 1200 isn't the magic number..and that they are hungry for no reason....

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Don't start at 1200. Start with the higher more reasonable calorie goal. You will lose weight.
    Stop calling yourself stupid or a greedy cow. That negativity is unnecessary and unproductive.