sugar advice!

Options
I go over on my sugar nearly every day, i never add it to anything and i only have about two portions of fruit a day but it just tends to be in everything i eat! any advice? my diary is open so u could suggest some swaps :)

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The sugar goal is unnecessary, IMHO. There's already a carbohydrates goal and sugar fits in there. I changed what I see in my diary so I'm tracking calcium instead of sugar.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Uhm Im not sure why you go over, but fruit has a lot of sugar ( suppose to be good sugar),So I had to cut down my fruit especially since I used to juice every day and thought I was doing a good thing. But found out in January Im pre diabetes, so I had to stop. i noticed when I started FP about a month ago when ever I put in fruit like a orange it was too much.So now I eat a yougurt and may be 1 piece a fruit if even that.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eat all the sugarz!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me too. I went into the custom goals section and increased my sugar goal. It doesn't happen anymore.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about sugar being in everything you eat but you like to eat fruit, just keep eating the fruit and try to not eat other foods that have sugar in them (such as proccessed food). I can't help you with any specifics because your diary is not open.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a health issue like diabetes, you have no reason to worry about your sugar goal. Go into your goals and increase it.
  • LoeshaElizabeth
    LoeshaElizabeth Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i have opened it, i know the protien bar was really high and wont be having it again, was trying to increase protien as ive started heavy lifting, cant win haha
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i don't log sugars. i eat alot of fruit so i would probably go over. that's not the same to me as eating a donut.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    i don't log sugars. i eat alot of fruit so i would probably go over. that's not the same to me as eating a donut.

it is the same. Sugar is sugar.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Now that your diary is open, it doesn't look like you are eating too much sugar. The only thing I see that you could cut down on would be the Belvita breakfast cookies for breakfast. You could swap it with something that has more balanced macros.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugars. They are just a form of carbohydrate and unless you have a medical condition they are irrelevant to the over all scheme of weight loss. In fact I removed them from the list of macro nutrients I track and added fiber. That is more important for over all health.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    i have opened it, i know the protien bar was really high and wont be having it again, was trying to increase protien as ive started heavy lifting, cant win haha

There are a ton of ways to increase protein without eating protein bars, which don't really do that good a job. Try lean meats, dairy products, dark leafy greens, legumes, fish.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Didn't we just do this one?
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb, track carbs and forget about that laughable recommended sugar goal.

Rigger
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Didn't we just do this one?

It's a daily thing.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just went though your diary, and I see the big problem.

Go under Food -> Settings. Under nutrients tracked, set it from Sugar to None.

you are lifting now, so just worry about Protein, Fat, Carbs. Don't throw sugar and sodium into the mix too. It will drive you batty.
  • Sassimel
    Sassimel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    The sugar goal is unnecessary, IMHO. There's already a carbohydrates goal and sugar fits in there. I changed what I see in my diary so I'm tracking calcium instead of sugar.
    Great idea! Thanks :smile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I go over on my sugar nearly every day, i never add it to anything and i only have about two portions of fruit a day but it just tends to be in everything i eat! any advice? my diary is open so u could suggest some swaps :)

It isn't the fruit it's the breakfast biscuits and the brownies from your diary.

The sugar goal is inline with guidance, you're eating a lot of processed food with sugar in so don't kid yourself it's the fruit (even though you could make lower sugar choices there too).
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

It isn't the fruit it's the breakfast biscuits and the brownies from your diary.

The sugar goal is inline with guidance, you're eating a lot of processed food with sugar in so don't kid yourself it's the fruit (even though you could make lower sugar choices there too).

+1 It looks like you stay within your sugar until you eat a sweet that has a ton of extra sugar. If you can "save up" your sugar with cutting down on the morning breakfast biscuits when you're going to splurge on a sweet that day, you would stay within your sugar goals.

That being said, you don't need to worry about sugars unless you are diabetic or insulin resistant (or perhaps other medical condition that mimics this).
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I track protein instead of sugar.