Your views on Running/Fitness Tracking Apps

Options
Hello everyone,

Looking for advice on fitness tracking apps for iOS. I use a Fitbit too so syncing with this service too would be ideal. I've used Runkeeper in the past but it doesn't play well with Fitbit as it only has one way sync. Syncing with MFP is essential too. So ideally looking for a fitness app that can track running and strength training and syncs with MFP and Fitbit.

Thanks in advance
Martin

Replies

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I use Strava. Their GPS tracking is more accurate, in my experience, than Map My Run. I know it syncs with MFP, not sure about Fitbit, as I don't have one, but it plays nicely with most Bluetooth devices.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't really see the point in syncing runkeeper with fitbit? I used run keeper for a long time, its a great app for tracking runs if you want to know how far and fast you are going and it seemed to calculate calories pretty consistant with my HRM so that was awesome.

Fitbit is also tracking your activity so there isn't really a reason to sync them unless you are not wearing your fitbit?

Jefit is a good app for weightlifting IMO, not sure if it syncs with MFP. It does not calculate calories burned that I know of, but there does not really seem to be a reliable way of calculating that anyways for lifting. It is easy to log your lifting while you are doing it and has a neat interface online for looking at your progress.

I decided quite a while ago not to sync anything with MFP because it was all just getting too confusing and things would mess up sometimes. If I just log my exercise myself it never messes up :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The owner of MFP also owns the MapMyFitness assortment of apps. I can't comment much because I am just now trying MapMyFitness. I have used RunKeeper for over a year .
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Endomondo will sync with MFP and Fitbit. Just set them up in a way that they're not double syncing. e.g. endo <> MFP <> Fitbit should work fine. But if you did MFP <> Endo <> MFP, or MFP <> Fitbit <> Endo then you'll be getting double data.
    I ended up just taking my fitbit off and giving it to the missus anyway. After a month it kinda did its job of confirming my tdee.
  • multimartin
    multimartin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the point in syncing runkeeper with fitbit? I used run keeper for a long time, its a great app for tracking runs if you want to know how far and fast you are going and it seemed to calculate calories pretty consistant with my HRM so that was awesome.

I just like everything in sync. I used to use syncmetrics.com which worked really well but it has shut down :(
    csman49 wrote: »
    Endomondo will sync with MFP and Fitbit. Just set them up in a way that they're not double syncing. e.g. endo <> MFP <> Fitbit should work fine. But if you did MFP <> Endo <> MFP, or MFP <> Fitbit <> Endo then you'll be getting double data.
    I ended up just taking my fitbit off and giving it to the missus anyway. After a month it kinda did its job of confirming my tdee.

Do you know if it shares Map/GPS data?
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So far, I've tried 4 of them:
    • MapMyRide: I used this for biking and running for over a year and then by accident found out that it was SEVERELY screwing up my distances so I quit using it.
    • Nike+: I like the look of this app and the GPS seems pretty accurate. It also seems to way underestimate my calories burned.
    • Endomondo: I liked this one enough, but it overestimates calorie burn by a lot.
    • Runkeeper: I just started using this one and so far it has been my favorite.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of RunKeeper but unfortunately it has failed to work on my last 3 outings. When I contacted them I was told that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. I am looking for a new app.
  • multimartin
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's best to just leave Fitbit out of the equation if it's not going to talk to other services. Don't like the idea of being tied into a particular service but then again I like their trackers - decisions, decisions!
  • multimartin
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice. I decided not to go with the Surge and just use my phone and Runkeeper to track my runs. I'll use my Fitbit Flex to sync steps through MFP.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Strava
  • multimartin
    Options
    Thanks @Hornsby - I'll check it out.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Strava. I used to have runnkeeper, which works well, and Map my ride, but Strava does both bike and run in one app.

Plus the competative aspect is cool.