Living on $1.00/day

Options
2»

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I saw some lady on TV that used coupons like crazy to grocery shop and was saving a rediculous amount of money.

Somehow when I tried it I ended up spending more! :blushing:

You have to be careful when doing the coupon thing that you're still only buying stuff you need. A lot of people fall into the trap that if they have a coupon for something, they have to buy it. If the coupon is for something that I don't normally buy, I usually won't even clip it. Unless I've been wanting to try it... lol
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    Great subject ...

In the last year there have been times when I am cooking for 8 (well, 7 and the 4 month old grandson) people in this household. Without our income increasing, I had to keep the food budget the same as when it was only 3 of us, BUT never compromised the food quality or nutritional value.

Here's how we did it ...
    Drink water, green tea or 1 cup of coffee in the morning.
    Soy milk for the exercising people, no milk *drinking* for anyone, powdered formula for the baby.

Fruit was picked, frozen or canned when it was fresh locally.
    Fresh fruit was purchased when it was local and in season .. therefore CHEAP.
    Breakfast - Oatmeal, cooked with preserved fruit. or Spoonful plain yogurt, and fruit & toast.
    Eggs and homemade toast with peanut butter and homemade jam.

Lunch homemade ww bread, or ww biscuits, tuna and lettuce, cucumber and tomato
    or salad with hard boiled eggs, tuna, sardines, feta cheese, or left over dinner meat.
    Lots of vegetable soups, lentils, barley or low meat soups made with leftovers
    For people who took their lunch to work, I'd portion package last nights dinner for them to take.

Dinner meat only every other night (in small portions), mainly vegetables, & brown rice & dry beans that were cheap .. soaked and cooked. Chili, stews, casseroles, but mostly stir fries served over rice.

If you don't buy fast food, chips, gum, chocolate, cereals, fruit snacks, granola bars, cookies, bread, noodles, frozen prepared foods, and ready made instant products you will save yourself many $$$ in food costs and avoid lots of empty calories.

Shop at vegetable markets and search for on sale bulk meat that can be portioned and frozen at home.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options

You have to be careful when doing the coupon thing that you're still only buying stuff you need. A lot of people fall into the trap that if they have a coupon for something, they have to buy it. If the coupon is for something that I don't normally buy, I usually won't even clip it. Unless I've been wanting to try it... lol

Exactly. I'll use a coupon only if it's for something already on my list.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use coupons that are for 'free' items:laugh: Gotta LOVE THOSE:smooched:
  • happy_feet
    happy_feet Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Lucky all!! u get to nicely discuss this in doallars!!!!:grumble:
    I buy in Rupees... n if I tried to convert it, U guys would think its so cheap!!! considerin approx 50rupees=1$.

But for me its obviously not!!! :cry:

But just to make u guys a little jealous, I spend around 1500Rupees on food per month( just on myself)
    thats equivalent to what? 30$ a month????? :tongue: and yes, thats with all fruits, eggs, wheat bread, dry fruits(sometimes), oats inclusive...dont eat too much of meat...but u could expect it to be as bad as 2000Rupees in worst case scenario... and that would be 40$ max.:bigsmile:

Do not ask me my salary in $...it'll turn out to be peanuts!! :blushing:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I buy in Rupees... n if I tried to convert it, U guys would think its so cheap!!! considerin approx 50rupees=1$.

But just to make u guys a little jealous, I spend around 1500Rupees on food per month( just on myself)
    thats equivalent to what? 30$ a month????? :tongue: and yes, thats with all fruits, eggs, wheat bread, dry fruits(sometimes), oats inclusive...dont eat too much of meat...but u could expect it to be as bad as 2000Rupees in worst case scenario... and that would be 40$ max.:bigsmile:

um HF? Are the peanuts included in the grocery items?:huh: :tongue: :wink: :bigsmile:
  • happy_feet
    happy_feet Posts: 175 Member
    Options

um HF? Are the peanuts included in the grocery items?:huh: :tongue: :wink: :bigsmile:

Nope...they are free...after hours of MFP at work!! :laugh: :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Nope...they are free...after hours of MFP at work!! :laugh: :wink:
    :tongue:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot less when my husband is away and it's just me because I don't mind having the same thing all week. I'll make a huge dinner and eat it every night until it's gone. But when he's home, he needs more snacks in his lunch and a wider variety, and he needs different things for dinner. I'd say I spend anywhere from 200/month to 300. Closer to 300 when he's home, closer or below 200 when he's not. Though I budget for 200/two weeks just in case. Sometimes I go crazy at the grocery store. And most times this does include the wine. :wink:

I spend like this right now though because I can. We've been there - eating speghetti or roman noodles every night, PB&J every day for lunch...it's nice to not be in that position anymore.