Runners what are your biggest threats when running outside?

Options
1235»

Replies

• troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    happygalah wrote: »
    Bloody drop bears

I have no idea what this is but it sounds scary as hell. I hope I never run into one, see one, or have one dropped on me, especially bloody!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Swooping Magpies!
  • samspam1023
    samspam1023 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm in ABQ too, and not in the greatest part of town. I feel pretty safe running in my neighborhood during the day since there are plenty of people around, but I'm always a little nervous on the arroyo trails since we have a lot of transients in the area. I won't run at night at all! I also hate running on the pavement, so I usually do my long runs either at the Academy or UNM. I'll have to try the bosque some time--I don't usually venture that far west.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm in ABQ too, and not in the greatest part of town. I feel pretty safe running in my neighborhood during the day since there are plenty of people around, but I'm always a little nervous on the arroyo trails since we have a lot of transients in the area. I won't run at night at all! I also hate running on the pavement, so I usually do my long runs either at the Academy or UNM. I'll have to try the bosque some time--I don't usually venture that far west.

I work downtown and since they continue to move Tent City, tensions have been high. Yes plenty of people but also plenty of sociopaths. I would not run there at night but the bosque is just fine if you ever do happen to venture out that far. Even on a no moon light, the glow of the city keeps things just visible enough to see the ground but not around every corner or tree.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Heart attack.
  • 1waj123
    1waj123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wild turkeys. Especially when a flock is crossing the road and individuals can't decide whether to cross or not in front of you and you can't decide whether to continue to run. Another hazard - acorns! It's like trying to run on marbles. They also scare the heck out of you when they fall and hit you.
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm scared of distracted/ texting drivers. Buddy -my half Beagle - and I once encountered a grumpy turkey, but we're more likely to get hit by a car than anything.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Farm implements, inattentive drivers, and dogs.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Men.....

had a guy pull his car up on the sidewalk where I was running to get out and start running with me...just for my phone number...

he didn't get my digits but he got a good burn I'm sure -- as it was uphill.

In all seriousness, I was pretty scared at the time.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I've come across skunks, deer, possums, raccoon, geese, snakes, bug swarms, even a coyote. Nature is awesome.
  • alphatoomega23
    alphatoomega23 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Cougars....in my neighborhood they are notorious for tracking down young runners.
  • WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Right now, ice. I tend to fall on my butt while walking on icy roads. Running....well.
    Otherwise, maybe other people's dogs? I've never met an unfriendly one though. Oh, cars too.
    Also, geese. Those suckers are mean and bitey.

This! Yes, I forgot to mention geese in my post. I have been chased by these guys. At the park I run at they tend to be alllll over the trail like they own the dang thing.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I feel so fortunate, my only run-in while running was with a nest of wasps. They sent a warning shot in the form of one little sucker that got me good on the back of the arm. Once I realized the nest was on a branch hanging over the street I made sure to cross the road before I got to that spot from then on. Thought about leaving a note for the homeowners so they could get it removed but in a week or so it was gone. Not much compared to BEARS lol!