Ketchup?

Options
Are there any ketchup varieties that don't contain tons of sugar? What do you use as a substitute?

Replies

• Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nothing or mustard
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Watties tomato sauce - Its what we use in New Zealand (and Australia) instead of ketchup. My Canadian hubby and his family think it tastes like no name water ketchup but I consider that highly insulting, it has less sugar and vinegar than Heinz Ketchup. If you smother ketchup with everything then yes any alternative will taste watery because the sugar is blinding your taste buds.

Another great NZ/Aus food alternative is Milo. Milo is what we drink instead of that carnation hot chocolate mix which is full of sugar and god knows what else. Milo is actually considered a sports/energy drink because its main ingredient is malt not cocoa but you can put a tsp into cold or hot milk and enjoy it and not worry about how much sugar you just had..

If you live in Canada like me you can find both at Superstore or Save On Foods in the foreign aisle with Indian/European/Mexican food..
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Nothing or mustard
    Srsly, mustard FTW!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Nothing or mustard

I dislike ketchup so I also skip it or use something else.
    You might try spicy mustard, guacamole, hummus, salsa, tzatziki sauce, horseradish for example. Depends on what you are using it for though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    A tbsp. has 15 calories. Thanks for making me look, now I want more ketchup.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    heinz_reduced_sugar_ketchup.jpg

5 cals per serving and 1 gram of sugar.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Nothing or mustard
    Srsly, mustard FTW!

Absolutely! I put mustard on my mustard!
  • paulbearss
    paulbearss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use mustard to and I also use a lot of franks red hot and franks buffalo hot sauce its soooo good.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Heinz makes a reduced sugar variety that I believe is 5 calories per Tbsp. or so. Better than the original at least. You could also do mustard and a slice of fresh tomato as a topping for whatever you were looking to put ketchup on
  • I did not know about the reduced sugar ketchup!!! I use ketchup with steak, eggs, any type of grilled sandwich, grilled potatoes... I use it on a variety of different things. Thanks all for your input!