Weight Watchers on a Primarily Vegan Diet?

Options
The company I work for offers a 50% discount on weight watchers and I was thinking about doing it, at least for a few months, and seeing how it works out for me since it'll be pretty cheap. The problem is I am trying to eat a primarily vegan diet and I haven't really heard of anyone doing weight watchers who is vegetarian or vegan. Has anyone on MFP done this? If so, how did it go? Was it still fairly simple to do while cutting out meat and whatnot?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    No reason it can't work...proteins, carbs, fat, and fibre are used to calculate points.

Have you looked at the WW messageboards? I am guessing you will find plenty of threads their regarding being vegan/vegetarian while doing WW program.
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Google.. It's a good thing

veganweightwatchers.com/

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Theoretically it could work. I tried it a few years ago and I found I just didn't have enough in common with others because everyone was sharing ideas and recipes for chicken, turkey, and beef, but no one had any idea how to work with beans and whole grains. They also put an astounding emphasis on processed foods, which didn't fit into what I was trying to do, either. I think its going to depend on the group you join.
  • rebeccaamber1031
    rebeccaamber1031 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    NateMcG76 wrote: »
    Google.. It's a good thing

veganweightwatchers.com/

Oh god you just blew my mind. Google?! Wow never heard of it...

Did it occur to you that I googled it myself and nothing was helpful since most websites are primarily recipes and not about people's experiences. Thanks though. You've been INCREDIBLY helpful.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    #meanpeoplethread
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs on WW the time I was the most successful. And I kept it off for years. I have been vegan for 25 years. And before this round ( regained 55 lbs my fault) WW was the onky formal diet that ever worked for me as a vegan since Points can be assisgned to any food and you use your own food.

First time I did it was in 99 lost 35 lbs. Then in 2002 after kido was born 25 lbss then 07/08 when I lost 75 lbs by doing ww online only. I decided I needed a change to take off my regain so I canceled WW and am just here. BUt as a vegan who had success multi times yes it can work.

One thing at least for me is watching free fruits and veggies. I still tend to drop weight if I over did it on veggies but meant I was still eating a large volume. That made travel and eating out harder. And some of the advice is geared towards people who have never researched food or whose many problem was fast food. That is why the most successful time for me was when I did online only. Since meetings would start being not helpful (so I would skip them) or I would travel for work ( so I would miss them).

If MFP turns out to not be as successful then I will go back to WW. So far counting calories is working but WW is the one other thing that I think works and you can adapt to a vegan diet.
  • laura_lee414
    laura_lee414 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs on Ww, but not as a vegan. Only thing I could advise you on is that even though fruits and veggies are "free" i always counted points for anything over 2 servings of fruit a day, or 3 servings of veggies except for leafy greens. I figured i could never eat too many of those.

I am still going to ww meetings once a month. I just ran out of steam tracking the ww way so i started myfitnesspal. I honestly think my body prefers the ww point system to calories. Which just means by shifting to a calorie mindset i am eating less fruits and veggies and fiber rich foods and more treats like frozen yogurt bars....