Rock climbing

Options
Hello all!

This is the second time I have tried to use my fitness pal, and I would like to use it in conjunction with one of my favorite hobbies, rock climbing.

I generally use an indoor gym, and I like to go about 3x a week, However I do not know how to calculate that kind of activity into the fitness tracker. How the hell do I quantify 45-85 minutes of ascending, descending and doing it all over again?

I would love some feedback from fellow climbers, or from anyone who knows a thing or two about unconventional exercises.

Replies

• climbbunny
    climbbunny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a climber too! Want to get lighter to climb better. I'm new on the app (just got on today) so I'm so not sure.
    All the best!
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow climbers! I also like to climb (mostly indoors -- it's just so convenient!) 3x/week. So much fun!

But...sadly, I don't think there is a great way to quantify calories burned for climbing. It's just too variable. Even I did track how many minutes spent on the wall vs. how many belaying, how do I factor in warm-up climbs vs. hard climbs? Lead climbing vs. bouldering?

I also like weight training and that's similarly hard to count. Probably the best thing is to use a TDEE method to calculate calorie budget and not track exercise in MFP since it's already built in to TDEE.
  • katiemarieharris
    Options
    Mmmmm...what TDEE? I've also really been struggling with this. I haven't seen much progress in the weeks I've been doing it, but I've been trying to put in 15-20minutes of climbing pre hour at the gym, but it is SO variable! Climbing in a trio, vs. solo. Belaying, training...let alone bouldering! Any tips or tricks so appreciated! I would love to lose even 20 pounds to be a better climber: I've gained about 15 since I started climbing, so my expectations are low!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow climbers! I also like to climb (mostly indoors -- it's just so convenient!) 3x/week. So much fun!

But...sadly, I don't think there is a great way to quantify calories burned for climbing. It's just too variable. Even I did track how many minutes spent on the wall vs. how many belaying, how do I factor in warm-up climbs vs. hard climbs? Lead climbing vs. bouldering?

Yup there are too many variables. You and I could be climbing the same exact climb but if I weigh more than you I will be burning more calories to move my weight up the wall. You might go straight to the top while I may get tired halfway, hang for a minute and continue. Once again I would be burning more.

In my inexpert opinion, climbing is closest to strength training which has a very low calorie burn. I use TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) to set my calorie goals so when I log climbing I log it as 1 calorie burned no matter how much time I spend climbing. If you are logging all of your exercise and eating back those calories I would log climbing as about 50 calories per hour.

Going climbing tomorrow. It's been awhile and I'm excited!