Body weight exercises that impress you....

Options
I was at the gym today and saw a feat of a strength that I couldn't stop watching.

The only way I can describe it is, a seated pike ring chin up.

This young man was sitting in the pike position with rings hanging arms length above him. He grabbed the rings and lifted himself off the floor till his hands were below his chin.

The movement was so slow and controlled it almost looked like he had to have a platform pushing him up. His legs never dropped an inch and when he lowered himself down he didn't hit the ground but gently set himself down.

I couldn't stop watching!!

What body weight exercise have you seen that amazes you, or do you aspire to be able to do?

Replies

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    No one?

There has to be others who admire, or aspire to, the ability to move your body with complete control.

One I aspire to is the seesaw(sp?) plank.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,471 Member
    Options
    Anybody doing handstand pushups. I can OHP more than my bodyweight, but something about being inverted just baffles me.

Also a deep one-legged squat with the other leg out in front of you.
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Anybody doing handstand pushups. I can OHP more than my bodyweight, but something about being inverted just baffles me.

Also a deep one-legged squat with the other leg out in front of you.

It has something to do with the balance point being much lower with handstand push-ups.
    I'm still working on holding a handstand, but I'm getting there.

One legged anything is just beyond me. Lol
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    There are a LOT of them that impress me that I wish I could do. Honestly, I wish I had done gymnastics as a child and during my teenage years because I really admire the upper body strength of a gymnast. Actually, their entire physique is admirable.
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    There are a LOT of them that impress me that I wish I could do. Honestly, I wish I had done gymnastics as a child and during my teenage years because I really admire the upper body strength of a gymnast. Actually, their entire physique is admirable.

I agree, I did gymnastics from 6 till I was 9. At that point my coach told me I was going to be too tall to ever compete and should find something else. I am still mad I listened to her, but I was 9 what did I know.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I was in gymnastics for many, many years and loved it - there always comes a point though. That said, still flexible, still strong and am now aiming to do a human flag on a vertical pole. I want to get the perfect 45 degree angle. It's a bit tougher than just going around the bar! Fun trying!
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    I was in gymnastics for many, many years and loved it - there always comes a point though. That said, still flexible, still strong and am now aiming to do a human flag on a vertical pole. I want to get the perfect 45 degree angle. It's a bit tougher than just going around the bar! Fun trying!

I have had people tell me you can't be strong and flexible at the same time, and I always point to gymnasts to prove them wrong!

I have always felt that holding a pose is harder than doing a feat that includes movement. You must have amazing core and shoulder strength!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Heck, I am impressed by anyone that does unassisted pull ups. I would love to be able to do those, but I have no upper body strenght.
  • BigLifter10
    Options

I have had people tell me you can't be strong and flexible at the same time, and I always point to gymnasts to prove them wrong!

I have always felt that holding a pose is harder than doing a feat that includes movement. You must have amazing core and shoulder strength!

Being hyper-mobile has some challenges. I've hyper-extended my elbows doing back handsprings (especially when tired out) and it can take awhile to feel 'right' again. Hips do the same thing - it's a mixed blessing. Docs say it will keep me limber, but can also pre-dispose me to injury. Not much I can do about it now. If someone had told me years ago that my feet/knees could give me trouble later - I'd have never cared about that then. You really can't beat gymnastics for FUN exercise (of course, that might just be my opinion alone) B)
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Heck, I am impressed by anyone that does unassisted pull ups. I would love to be able to do those, but I have no upper body strenght.

I'm soo close to these I can taste it!!!
  • never2bstopped
    Options

Being hyper-mobile has some challenges. I've hyper-extended my elbows doing back handsprings (especially when tired out) and it can take awhile to feel 'right' again. Hips do the same thing - it's a mixed blessing. Docs say it will keep me limber, but can also pre-dispose me to injury. Not much I can do about it now. If someone had told me years ago that my feet/knees could give me trouble later - I'd have never cared about that then. You really can't beat gymnastics for FUN exercise (of course, that might just be my opinion alone) B)

I wonder if this is why my ankles seem to roll so easily... Something to think about.
  • BigLifter10
    Options
    never2b......ankles....something to think about (especially if you regularly do exercise and your ankles should be strong). Do you do any isolation exercises for the ankles?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »

Those impress me too. Probably because I can't do them!
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    never2b......ankles....something to think about (especially if you regularly do exercise and your ankles should be strong). Do you do any isolation exercises for the ankles?

No I have just resorted to wearing tape when I lift. I stay away from heals because they roll so easily.

My hubs jokes that I can hurt myself on flat ground. The sad thing is he isn't far off.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm always impressed by anyone who can lift their body with just their arms/hands. I love watching Yordan Yovchev (when he competed) do his rings routine. His Maltese cross made me swoon!
    jordan-jovtchev-maltese-on-rings.jpg
  • BigLifter10
    Options

No I have just resorted to wearing tape when I lift. I stay away from heals because they roll so easily.

My hubs jokes that I can hurt myself on flat ground. The sad thing is he isn't far off.

OMG....except it won't be so funny the day you are just standing there and decide to turn and walk at the same time and your ankles don't want to cooperate!
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm always impressed by anyone who can lift their body with just their arms/hands. I love watching Yordan Yovchev (when he competed) do his rings routine. His Maltese cross made me swoon!

There is something to the way muscles contract under body weight moves that is soo much more primal than when it is lifting other types of weight.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hanging Leg Raises, dragon flags, muscle ups, honestly people repping wide grip pull ups are pretty impressive as well.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The a** to ground pistol squat! It's seems impossible to me!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Now we're talking! Oldest competing gymnastics Olympian! Did London 2012 at the age of 39.