Processed foods make me sick? No weight loss

So around a week ago I decided to eat super healthy. I only eat eggs veggies some fruit lean meat and tea. For a sample day, I'd have 3 eggs scrambled with onions then a cup pineapple for lunch dinner 6oz chicken breast with seasoning and green beans boiled and sometimes as a snack I'd eat a serving of almonds or fruit. Now that is more than enough for me and I usually end up eating around a 1500 cal. I'm 225 lbs and so I should be losing weight but I'm not. -.- I have lost 75 lbs before no problem by not eating healthy just calorie restrictions so idk what's going on. Should I give it time? I have been lifting weights etc and so I'm not sure if the .4 lb gain was just water retention or what. I also now can't eat processed food...tried having some hard candy yesterday and nearly threw up. Oh and I'm also 5'8 so my bmr is basically 1500 I believe and there's no way I should be gaining weight. Should I give it more time with the healthy diet and calorie restriction and see what happens? Or should I switch some things up ? My future goal is to go paleo since I have autoimmune disorders and a bunch of health problems!! Thank you for the help :)

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    1) one week is not anywhere near enough time to assess the success or failure of your plan.
    2) At 5'8" and 225, 1500 is a huge deficit. (I'm losing slowly at 1500 and I'm older, shorter, and 100 pounds lighter than you) You may even need to go up.
    3) Not sure what "healthy eating" is for your emotional and physical needs. Because you have autoimmune disorders and other issues, I recommend making an appointment with an RD (registered dietician) who specializes in your particular disorder.
  • I have hypothyroidism (Hashimotos) and I do not lose a drop of weight if I go above 1500. I do eat back exercise calories to get a net of 1500 but it's difficult since my metabolism is barely there. And I think I will do that since I have not seen results. I usually drop 2lbs a week if I eat 1500 cal of junk food etc. it's really weird! But thanks! I'll wait a little longer and if after a month I'm still stuck I'll go to a dietician
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I have hypothyroidism (Hashimotos) and I do not lose a drop of weight if I go above 1500. I do eat back exercise calories to get a net of 1500 but it's difficult since my metabolism is barely there. And I think I will do that since I have not seen results. I usually drop 2lbs a week if I eat 1500 cal of junk food etc. it's really weird! But thanks! I'll wait a little longer and if after a month I'm still stuck I'll go to a dietician

This sounds like a sensible plan to me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    1) 1 week is not enough time. Patience. Give it at least 4-6 weeks of no change before getting concerned.
    2) It's doubtful candy or processed foods are making you sick. You could easily have just had an upset stomach.
  • Ninkyou wrote: »
    1) 1 week is not enough time. Patience. Give it at least 4-6 weeks of no change before getting concerned.
    2) It's doubtful candy or processed foods are making you sick. You could easily have just had an upset stomach.
    It could be processed food, I forgot to mention I had my gallbladder removed a month ago so fats and bad food have been weird with me but it got worse since eating healthier !:)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I had a cousin who had Hashimoto's. She had difficulty losing weight, too. I strongly second the visit to a dietician.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    It could be processed food, I forgot to mention I had my gallbladder removed a month ago so fats and bad food have been weird with me but it got worse since eating healthier !:)
    There's a detail to mention!
    Time to see your doctor again and review what to eat after gallbladder removal.
  • MrM27 wrote: »

Well, I think that information was kind of important to consider from the start no? Basically you just answered your own thread as to what's going on.

Nooooo, since getting it removed I could eat pizza, donuts whatever I wanted without a problem. But. The second I ate healthy, like completely unprocessed foods, and I tried to eat anything bad it's like my body couldn't handle it but I don't know how that'd be possible so fast! I'm actually a weird case where my gallbladder hasn't been working for years I just didn't know so fatty food didn't affect me. But I guess healthier options kinda began that effect for me
    MrM27 wrote: »

Well, I think that information was kind of important to consider from the start no? Basically you just answered your own thread as to what's going on.

Nooooo, since getting it removed I could eat pizza, donuts whatever I wanted without a problem. But. The second I ate healthy, like completely unprocessed foods, and I tried to eat anything bad it's like my body couldn't handle it but I don't know how that'd be possible so fast! I'm actually a weird case where my gallbladder hasn't been working for years I just didn't know so fatty food didn't affect me. But I guess healthier options kinda began that effect for me

Did you get any counseling on your diet after having a surgery like that? You were told it was okay to eat high fat food like that?
    Nope. My surgeon did not say a word on what to do so I basically have been looking online and what I found was people saying to "test" it out and see how you feel. But I want to be healthy so I eat healthy fats now none of that processed crap and it hasn't really made a big difference in how I feel but I know it's waaaaay better for me. It has only been one or two months now so once I do visit a dietician we'll see they think I should do since healthy fats are necessary anyways!

Did you get any counseling on your diet after having a surgery like that? You were told it was okay to eat high fat food like that?
    Nope. My surgeon did not say a word on what to do so I basically have been looking online and what I found was people saying to "test" it out and see how you feel. But I want to be healthy so I eat healthy fats now none of that processed crap and it hasn't really made a big difference in how I feel but I know it's waaaaay better for me. It has only been one or two months now so once I do visit a dietician we'll see they think I should do since healthy fats are necessary anyways!

If that's what happened as far as not being given guidance after a surgery like that then that's really messed up on the doctors part. Not cool at all.

Yea all I was told was to eat bland food first week but post that nothing. In that case the Internet is the best next thing when it comes to other people's experiences !
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

If that's what happened as far as not being given guidance after a surgery like that then that's really messed up on the doctors part. Not cool at all.

I had my gallbladder out in 2010. It was still fully functioning but I had a very large stone that would never be able to pass so was a concern. I was told I could eat normally after and wasn't given any special instructions for immediately after the surgery, either. I haven't had to change my diet at all; I honestly don't miss it one bit.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

Yea all I was told was to eat bland food first week but post that nothing. In that case the Internet is the best next thing when it comes to other people's experiences !

No, the internet is never the second best thing. Your DOCTOR is always the first go-to. If your doctor is not helpful, another doctor is what you need. You are quite literally taking your own life into your hands by going onto the internet for medical advice. Since you are only one month post op and you are having digestive problems, call your doctor. Stop taking advice from the internet (after this advice, please).
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    This is the internet speaking - please consult your doctor.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    I agree with the advice on seeing a doctor. Another thought is that since you are only a month post op and have autoimmune disorders- your cortisol levels are up and it is hard to lose weight when that happens. I also have several autoimmune disorders (including Hashi's) and I will not lose an ounce when under stress (ie: sick, travel for work etc...)- those events always trigger an autoimmune reaction. Going through it now myself.