Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong? Food Diary concerns

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    LetrellC wrote: »
    Tialuna, I have been seeing Internal Medicine docs and a nutritionist regularly for several years now. Not saying I'm an expert but I have learned what foods do what to me. Just an idea of what to try.....

1. Drop your sugar to 40g/day or less.
    2. Instead of the health bars, have a light greek yogurt. I have to have one a day. I use Yoplait 100 Greek Yogurt because it is lowest in sugar and contains protein.

I can eat anything I want to eat and am able to maintain my weight at 125. My calories are set at 1500. I rarely reach it and am eating all day long.

One thing to consider is that muscle weighs more than fat. That is what I have to be careful of when I exercise.....too much walking and and I will burn too many calories. I absolutely can NOT lose weight. Catch 22. I need to build up my large muscles while not losing weight...have to keep sugar down to prevent it converting to fat.

I just glanced at your diary. The only thing I saw on a quick note was you are over on sugar...without the restriction. Not saying to do as I do, just something to consider.

Thank you for sharing this with us! I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Are you saying that walking burns so many calories that it renders you unable to lose weight? And that your muscles will convert into fat if you eat too much sugar?

i think she's saying if she walks too much she'll burn TOO MANY calories which means losing weight, but she wants to build muscle.

Guess she doesn't eat back her exercise calories?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    LetrellC wrote: »
    Tialuna, I have been seeing Internal Medicine docs and a nutritionist regularly for several years now. Not saying I'm an expert but I have learned what foods do what to me. Just an idea of what to try.....

1. Drop your sugar to 40g/day or less.
    2. Instead of the health bars, have a light greek yogurt. I have to have one a day. I use Yoplait 100 Greek Yogurt because it is lowest in sugar and contains protein.

I can eat anything I want to eat and am able to maintain my weight at 125. My calories are set at 1500. I rarely reach it and am eating all day long.

One thing to consider is that muscle weighs more than fat. That is what I have to be careful of when I exercise.....too much walking and and I will burn too many calories. I absolutely can NOT lose weight. Catch 22. I need to build up my large muscles while not losing weight...have to keep sugar down to prevent it converting to fat.

I just glanced at your diary. The only thing I saw on a quick note was you are over on sugar...without the restriction. Not saying to do as I do, just something to consider.

Thank you for sharing this with us! I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Are you saying that walking burns so many calories that it renders you unable to lose weight? And that your muscles will convert into fat if you eat too much sugar?

i think she's saying if she walks too much she'll burn TOO MANY calories which means losing weight, but she wants to build muscle.

Guess she doesn't eat back her exercise calories?

Oh that makes a lot more sense! I thought she was saying she wanted to lose weight but walking makes it so she can't.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    The thing about doctors: My boyfriend's doctor recently told him that he needed to lose 100 lbs in 3 months by not eating bread. Case closed.

giphy.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ahuesca wrote: »
    What is "strength or strong curves"?

"Starting Strength" and "Strong Curves" are both weightlifting programs.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    ahuesca wrote: »
    What is "strength or strong curves"?

"Starting Strength" and "Strong Curves" are both weightlifting programs.

+1 for Starting Strength. I’ve been doing it for just a month, after taking a 1 year break, and I’m looking and feeling way more badass. Scale hasn’t moved too much, but my body is definitely getting tighter.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    cavia wrote: »
    I eat that brand of bread. I weigh the slices. They are almost never the weight the package claims. If you want more precise results, you'll have to use more precise methods. Weigh all your foods using a food scale and save the cups for caloric liquids.

This. I now weigh granola bars and they are consistently 1.15 servings. A box of raisins is around 1.07-1.1 servings. It adds up and makes a difference, at least for me anyway since I am in maintenance and have a low margin of error. I'm actually getting leaner on maintenance with workouts but I try not to guess with calories on a package if I can help it.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    You eat more than you think

Look at this video and see what the difference between weighing your food or measuring is.
    It can add up to hundreds of calories difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,592 Member
    Options
    looking for more assistance I'm in a current situation that my weight just keeps scaling up.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    A few things could be going on- I'm guessing the exercise you do is mostly cardio and not weight lifting? You eat a lot of carbs and sugar? You don't get a lot of protein (for your weight & if you are active you should get around 75 to 80 grams a day, about 50 grams if you aresedentary, and over 100 grams if you lift weights)?
  • Tialuna18
    Options
    A few things could be going on- I'm guessing the exercise you do is mostly cardio and not weight lifting? You eat a lot of carbs and sugar? You don't get a lot of protein (for your weight & if you are active you should get around 75 to 80 grams a day, about 50 grams if you aresedentary, and over 100 grams if you lift weights)?

hi there~ thank you for messaging. Yes Im trying to decrease the carb intake. I notice I tend to go over when I get processed smoothies ie booster juice, the same going for my fruits pushing my sugars. I used to do more weight lifting and then I feared the weight gain so I did try to stick more to cardio. Is there any good weight training you'd recommend?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    So you're 5'5" and 130 lbs. You're at a healthy weight, but you want to get a bit leaner. You are not weighing your food, which means you do not actually know how many calories you are taking in.

The best advice has already been given
    QUIT ESTIMATING YOUR INTAKE.

1. Get a food scale and use it.
    2. Be patient. At your current weight, you should not be trying to lose more than 0.5 lb / week. That kind of loss can be masked by your monthly cycles or a little water retention or even a late bowel movement.

If you are not losing weight, you are consuming more calories than you're using. That's it. It means that you need to reduce your portion sizes. The best way to do this is to get a food scale.

I promise, the food scale will not beat you up. It will not yell at you, or tease you, or throw temper tantrums. Your food scale will not make a mess in the kitchen, nor will it poop on the floor. It won't be any harder to use than a measuring cup. But it will take the guessing out of your calorie counts.

Quoting @tomteboda for the truth. Agree wholeheartedly.

Weigh your food. Weigh food in grams. Don't use cups except for liquids, and even then, millilitres are better.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    You didn't answer my question about protein- that's quite important actually, more than you probably think. I was eating too little protein before and too much carbs/sugar and even when I ate in a calorie deficit & lost weight the weight loss was mostly muscle & my body fat percentage actually went up... Until I started eating enough protein and the correct amount of carbs, then my fat went down and muscle went up and I lost weight more easily- but I have 15 to 20 pounds to lose, you're much closer to your correct weight.
    I think you might do better with more weight training, eating more protein, doing less cardio, doing shorter hiit cardio not long steady state cardio sessions, and caring less about how much you weigh and more about body fat percentage and lean muscle and how you feel as far as energy levels & health.
    You don't really have much to lose, you're in a healthy weight range already actually but are trying to get to a lower weight so that tells me you want to look more lean- but you say you're steadily gaining despite being in a calorie deficit so I'm wondering if there's a bit of metabolic damage happening or if it's just because your macros are off... but doing a bunch of cardio and cutting calories too much might just make you lose muscle mass and become skinny-fat. I have recently watched a couple good YouTube videos on this, I will find them and give you the links.
    There's some good weight training programs on bodybuilding.com available for free, and they have video tutorials for how to do each exercise so that's really nice. Or there's paid programs you can find out there, some with included coaching, or you can make up your own training program to follow...
    I'm not an expert at all btw, just finally finding results with lifting and tracking macros whereas nothing else has been successful for me lately, and cutting calories alone to lose weight in the past only worked short term and then I gained it back so that kind of reminded me of what you're going throgh now.
    But everyone is different too so you'll have to do your own research & test different strategies out and see what works best for you.
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This guy explains stuff really well, here are a couple videos you might find helpful- at least I did:
    https://youtu.be/urtIhnqRlcs
    https://youtu.be/0SUQIKflfMg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Tialuna18 wrote: »
    looking for more assistance I'm in a current situation that my weight just keeps scaling up.

What are your stats now?

If you are consistently gaining weight, that means you are eating too much.
  • Tialuna18
    Options
    I should have clarified... I'm currently at 138lbs as of this afternoon.
    I personally would like to be around 125 ideally. but I'm more concerned with finding foods to lower bloating and toning my body. I can put two and two together as far as the obvious weight gain = you eat too much but I'm constantly told I dont eat enough. I believe a contributor to my weight gain is going days without eating consistently and then on weekends trying to regulate it. What Im looking for is tips to eating more regularly and meals that will fill me up longer but not high caloric intake. Thank you.
  • Tialuna18
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You didn't answer my question about protein- that's quite important actually, more than you probably think. I was eating too little protein before and too much carbs/sugar and even when I ate in a calorie deficit & lost weight the weight loss was mostly muscle & my body fat percentage actually went up... Until I started eating enough protein and the correct amount of carbs, then my fat went down and muscle went up and I lost weight more easily- but I have 15 to 20 pounds to lose, you're much closer to your correct weight.
    I think you might do better with more weight training, eating more protein, doing less cardio, doing shorter hiit cardio not long steady state cardio sessions, and caring less about how much you weigh and more about body fat percentage and lean muscle and how you feel as far as energy levels & health.
    You don't really have much to lose, you're in a healthy weight range already actually but are trying to get to a lower weight so that tells me you want to look more lean- but you say you're steadily gaining despite being in a calorie deficit so I'm wondering if there's a bit of metabolic damage happening or if it's just because your macros are off... but doing a bunch of cardio and cutting calories too much might just make you lose muscle mass and become skinny-fat. I have recently watched a couple good YouTube videos on this, I will find them and give you the links.
    There's some good weight training programs on bodybuilding.com available for free, and they have video tutorials for how to do each exercise so that's really nice. Or there's paid programs you can find out there, some with included coaching, or you can make up your own training program to follow...
    I'm not an expert at all btw, just finally finding results with lifting and tracking macros whereas nothing else has been successful for me lately, and cutting calories alone to lose weight in the past only worked short term and then I gained it back so that kind of reminded me of what you're going throgh now.
    But everyone is different too so you'll have to do your own research & test different strategies out and see what works best for you.

I really appreciate your insight on this matter Courtney. It was much more of a response and more relative to the situation. I do think I need to increase my protein intake as I dont eat meat as often as I should and I'm not conscious to make appropriate substitutions for it.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I can't see your diary, perhaps it's because of my stupid phone. When you lost your weight were you low carb? When you started you were paying attention to calories, but what about salt?

I guess what I'm getting at is, is it possible that the majority of your weight loss and gain were water?
  • Tialuna18
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I don't know why I can't see your diary, perhaps it's because of my stupid phone. When you lost your weight were you low carb? When you started you were paying attention to calories, but what about salt?

I guess what I'm getting at is, is it possible that the majority of your weight loss and gain were water?

at the time I dropped significant amount of weight, I cut out all salts and sugars and only had carbs in the morning (my granola). I found that diet very unrealistic for my daily life however.