Eggs vs. Egg Whites

Options
Is it ever worth discarding the yolk? It's got half the protein. Even on a cut I'd think whole eggs are preferred…

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's worth discarding a yolk - but it might be worth adding whites depending on your protein regiment and need to balance calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't get the egg white thing. OK, so there's bugger all calories in it, but there's also bugger all calories in a whole egg anbd all the goodness is in the yolk! I think it's a waste, and a shame to discard the yolk.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    For baking recipes that call for just egg whites, I guess.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Eat the while egg. People fear the yolk because of the myth of dietary cholesterol. Eating cholesterol does not increase your blood cholesterol.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people who just eat egg whites. A whole egg doesn't even have that many calories and by getting rid of the yolk you are removing a lot of the nutrients and protein. And personally I hate the taste of egg whites by themselves...
  • foobazola
    foobazola Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The yolk does contain all the fat, so if you're trying to cut fat, whites are the way to go. That said, the yolk is where all the nutrients are as well. Cutting the yolk, you miss out on the nutrients.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What a waste of money and an egg. Half the protein and most of the vitamins and minerals.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What a waste of money and an egg. Half the protein and most of the vitamins and minerals.

I get resentful when a recipe calls for egg white and I don't have a use for the yolk, lol. Such a waste of money!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I never throw it away, id find a use for it somewhere else in another recipe. Waffles, french toast, omolette, fried rice etc
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I buy one carton of real eggs and a carton of whites. I add extra whites to a real egg when making an omelet. It gives hubby the illusion he is eating healthy. As soon as I found out all the vitamins were in the yolk, I embraced all the egg.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs for the win :)
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just eat egg yolks. Wish they sold those in a carton.

+1
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I never throw it away, id find a use for it somewhere else in another recipe. Waffles, french toast, omolette, fried rice etc

Same, I just find it's an issue if I make macaroons or something that require a large number of whites. The solution is generally chocolate mousse :D
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I buy a carton of egg whites and have that along with a couple whole eggs. I don't have the calories to get as much protein as I would like from just whole eggs so this works. I never throw away yolks, they're my favorite part!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Yes, please.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs, hardboiled, for snacking. Egg beaters, a whole cup, for my after gym workout. Half the calories and that one cup makes a boat load of food. I like quantity! lol
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I buy liquid egg whites in a carton (and I prefer the "highly processed" ones the most - egg beaters, southwestern style, which has with some peppers, etc., included). Very low cal, some protein, and great for scrambles with other additions. Not so great as an egg substitute for me other than as a scramble. And not been a fan of plain egg whites (from whole eggs or from a carton) unless they are added to whole eggs.

I also eat whole eggs - nothing like a few over-easy eggs with toast to sop up the runny yolks. Or a fried egg over-hard in a sandwich. Or poached eggs. Or hard-boiled eggs. All yummy.

About the only time I crack an egg and discard the yolk is when I make a whiskey sour. Not much of a baker so I don't run into baked-goods recipes for egg whites too often.

So . . . I like whole eggs and I like egg whites, too. They both have their place in my meals.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ew, egg whites just reminds me of snot. I cannot eat and egg unless it's scrambled or boiled. :s
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Yeah! What's up with that, though? What do they do with the yolks when they sell only the whites?