Realisation I'm not thin and need help changing

Options
Hey everyone,

So I've had a horrific realisation recently that I'm not 'thin' like I thought I was.
This is only shocking because I go to the gym six times a week and I seem to be rapidly gaining weight but because I live alone and stay alone (an introverted student) I haven't realised my weight gain until I took some photos.

I naively thought my stomach was always due to bloating but have come to realise it's just fat and I just can't change my eating habits. I'm scared to count calories because I'm actually a recovered anorexic and counting calories is what started me off and I don't want to go down that round.

Can anyone evaluate how drastic my stomach is and how long it may take to lose it?
Can anyone also recommend and vegetables that are low in fibre but filling? As I bloat very easily with vegetables and am thus always reluctant to cook them because they make me uncomfortable

Thank you b8a5vrbzvtpl.jpg
wjcd4tzxa8v3.jpg

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Umm yes, you are thin. What are your stats? Height/weight/age?

Also how much weight have you gained over what time frame?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think the main reason it looks so drastic is because in the second picture it looks like you are arching your back more causing your stomach to stick out farther.

edit: Oh, and you are still pretty thin.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    ....are you sure you aren't thin?
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Is this another April Fool's joke?

Yes, you are thin. Do not count calories. Just stand up straight.
  • PetiteChiChi
    PetiteChiChi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry I shoudlve listed everything:

At the gym I run for 25 mins at 15.2
    I'm 5"1 and 44.5 kg

My stomach however is always worryingly large and I'm not sure how severe the fat is for my health.
    I've gained 3kg in two months
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Your stomach doesn't look bad to me. It looks like you are sticking out your stomach and rear end. Just correcting your posture would probably help give your belly the look you want.

Most universities offer student counseling services. Please avail yourself of the opportunity.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this is either of the following..

april fools
    eating disorder
    body dysmorphia …

I am going with C ….
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You are not fat by any stretch of the imagination.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

I'm 5"1 and 44.5 kg

My stomach however is always worryingly large and I'm not sure how severe the fat is for my health.

Is it possible that you're pregnant?

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You weigh less than a 100 lbs, your BMI is under 18.7. you are not fat or anything close. You might want to add weight lifting and target body recomposition.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You are underweight. Your stomach is NOT worrying large. Do you have someone you can talk to about your perception of your body? School counselor maybe?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - you need to lift heavy and do some kind of recomp …and also seek out some professional help for the issues that you have….
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I'm 5"1 and 44.5 kg

You're at the very bottom of the healthy weight range. You certainly don't need to lose a single pound.

If you're bloating and miserable, perhaps a doctor visit is in order. Please don't lose any more weight.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    You stated you are a recovering anorexic, perhaps this is something to discuss with your therapist?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    In fact, now that I take a closer look at the pictures, they look like they were both taken on the same day (just a change of posture and turned the opposite direction). O.o
    image.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight.
    Start doing some resistance training.
    If you seriously think you're overweight, see a counselor.

That is all.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Woah woah woah.

It is not for ANYONE, ESPECIALLY strangers on the internet to judge how 'drastic' your stomach is, or make a comment on your 'thinness.'

You note you are a recovered anorexic - I would strongly suggest considering discussions about negative views of your body should continue/remain in this forum, rather than on an online one. I note you use the term 'horrified' early on, which makes me concerned.

We cannot, and should not, make comment on how different your body is to what it is before. You are 23, your body is and will continue to change as you grow and age. That is ok, that is life. Don't benchmark yourself against the past- focus on loving your body, its potential, and what it can do for you. Focus on what it could be in the future, in the most positive ways you can.

Good luck x
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You are definitely thin, and it's hard to tell what you look like because as others said, you're sticking your stomach out.

If you're uncomfortable with your stomach, it's probably a fat/muscle ratio more than whether or not you're thin. Just because you're thin doesn't mean you have a tight stomach. If it bothers you, start lifting weights at the gym. A trainer can help you achieve the look you want.

As for losing the fat in general, if you're a recovered anorexic, you should speak to a nutritionist about how to achieve the results you want in a healthy way that you won't trigger your disorder. Good luck and don't panic! Everyone gains weight sometimes. You will get it under control, just make sure to do it in a healthy way!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    "Recovered" is not the appropriate word ... the disorder is quite evident in your post.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I wonder of the OP's rating disorder may have potentially affected her stomach leading to this uncomfortable bloated feeling when she has veggies/fiber? I mean a lit of fiber can make anyone feel too full but it doesn't sound like she means a lot of vegetables but rather any vegetables/fiberous food.

And maybe this feeling is in turn leading her to believe her stomach must be outwardly reflecting this blaotes feeling.

/baseless speculation