Belly Fat?

Options
why does my belly seem to be getting bigger not smaller? Help! I'm watching what I eat and doing 4-5 days of cardio plus weights. I'm at a loss. Nothing has changed except my belly looks like I'm 3 months pregnant!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sounds like bloat - are you drinking plenty of water? Could be something you ate today (or eat every day) that causes the bloat, or hormones....hard to say.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    First question...are you pregnant? Are you eating a lot of carbs (rice, potatoes, cereal etc) or excessive sodium? Are you accurately weighing/measuring everything you eat or estimating? Are you eating back your workout calories? Are you taking your measurements along with your weight?

The first is accurate tracking. If you don't accomplish that, you'll lose the battle. No one cares what your stats are but you have to be honest with yourself.

Every person is different. If I eat a lot of carb products, don't get enough water/tea (which is anywhere from 8-14 glasses for me), or go over 2,200 mg of sodium my stomach bloats terribly. That could be the last place you'll lose inches. Perhaps it hasn't increased but everything else is decreasing which would make your stomach more noticeable. That is why tape measuring yourself is very important.

I like this website to see how many calories I should eat along with my macros breakdown http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ It lines up well with the recommendations from my nutritionist.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce during weight loss. Everyone's body is different as to which areas lose first and lose last.

Just continue reducing your BF % !
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It could be bloating, as has been suggested. It could also be because of how you've lost your weight. Are your measurements actually bigger? If you lost fat in other areas, it could, proportionally, make you feel like your belly looks bigger since the proportions have changed.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It could also be your posture making it appear that your stomach is bigger than it actually is.
  • Eldee32
    Eldee32 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    belly fat is also my problem. After my 2 C-section deliveries i gained lots of fat specially on my tummy. But one of my friend (who had the same problem) recently lost her 35 lbs of weight now her tummy is quite flat.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Do you have a desk job? If you do it might be a pelvic tilt...
  • KaraFulop
    Options
    Pelvic tilt?? I do have a desk job.
  • KaraFulop
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »
    Do you have a desk job? If you do it might be a pelvic tilt...
    What is a pelvic tilt?
  • greatness
    greatness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Anterior pelvic tilt comes from week glutes and not just core. It exaggerates that lower belly pooch. Stand sideways in a mirror and hunch your butt inward. If your stomach flattens out while doing that then youve got it. Its relatively easy to fix with glute training. Other things that cause severe bloating are a lack of healthy bacteria in your gut (they eliminate gaseous production of bad bacteria), try a pre and probiotic. Also, nearly every person has some degree of gluten intolerance, just some worse than others. Thats why we bloat when we eat a lot of carbs and even fiber rich foods lol. Thats also why people new to increasing fiber have some degree of flatulence thats pretty annpying hahaha. Your body just needs time to adjust or exhange high fibers breads for veggies high in fiber like broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, kale, quinoa and couscous (grain family proteins). ph yeah, Diary products also can cause a heavy degree of bloating.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    too many carbs?
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Kara, a pelvic tilt is caused by sitting for too long. I have a desk job too so I have to make sure to get up and move every hour, and I do some exercises during the work hours that target my glutes and abs. Also I do some stretches and rolling for my upper thigh/hip area and lower back. It's easy to do and becomes routine after awhile. You can find lots of videos on it on youtube
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Bad-Posture-Examples-300x215.png
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    greatness wrote: »
    Anterior pelvic tilt comes from week glutes and not just core. It exaggerates that lower belly pooch. Stand sideways in a mirror and hunch your butt inward. If your stomach flattens out while doing that then youve got it. Its relatively easy to fix with glute training. Other things that cause severe bloating are a lack of healthy bacteria in your gut (they eliminate gaseous production of bad bacteria), try a pre and probiotic. Also, nearly every person has some degree of gluten intolerance, just some worse than others. Thats why we bloat when we eat a lot of carbs and even fiber rich foods lol. Thats also why people new to increasing fiber have some degree of flatulence thats pretty annpying hahaha. Your body just needs time to adjust or exhange high fibers breads for veggies high in fiber like broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, kale, quinoa and couscous (grain family proteins). ph yeah, Diary products also can cause a heavy degree of bloating.

Pelvic tilt, yes. The rest of this is BS. High in fiber vegetables will actually cause more gas and bloating than bread products for people who are not gluten intolerant. Dairy products only cause bloat for people who are lactose intolerant.