Ok, someone please tell me why diet soda isn't good for you.......

Options
1235»

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have 1 can every day - it's my treat for getting my water in and it deters me from drinking wine/beer instead. When I lost weight in 2012 I cut it out completely, cold turkey, treat drink was a Powerade Zero, but both are about the same things health wise. I added it back in "as a treat" about a year ago. I quit the first time because I was in this "OH, I need to cut out real soda, so I'll switch to diet" Then about 3 weeks later I'd be back to drinking real and it wasn't working. I now don't like real soda.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    if yu are a newcomer I apologise for what yr post kicked up. on mfp there is a huge debate about the words "good" "bad" and the difference in the value of different calories. Its not you!

Please do not attack me for posting this. Thank you.

Why on earth would you feel the need to apologize for MFP? This had been a very thoughtful, polite discussion. Have you even read the thread?

^^^Yep. Actually pretty decent diet soda thread.

And the please don't disagree with me disclaimer....SMH.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    if yu are a newcomer I apologise for what yr post kicked up. on mfp there is a huge debate about the words "good" "bad" and the difference in the value of different calories. Its not you!

Please do not attack me for posting this. Thank you.

Why on earth would you feel the need to apologize for MFP? This had been a very thoughtful, polite discussion. Have you even read the thread?

^^^Yep. Actually pretty decent diet soda thread.

And the please don't disagree with me disclaimer....SMH.

I'm just offended by the textspeak.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There are actually a lot of things about it that are bad for you. The artificial sweeteners are terrible for you! They trick your body...it tastes the sweetness and expects calories, and when it doesn't get them it increases hunger signals, which can cause you to overeat. It also causes bloating and digestive problems in many people. There are just so many weird chemicals in it. Why put that into your body? It interferes with weight loss, as well, if that is one of your goals. Here is an article about it if you wanna read more... http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Go pour some soda on some corroded battery terminals and watch what happens. And you put this crap on the inside of your body.

Put lemon juice or vinegar on it. Same thing happens. And you put that crap inside of your body.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are actually a lot of things about it that are bad for you. The artificial sweeteners are terrible for you! They trick your body...it tastes the sweetness and expects calories, and when it doesn't get them it increases hunger signals, which can cause you to overeat. It also causes bloating and digestive problems in many people. There are just so many weird chemicals in it. Why put that into your body? It interferes with weight loss, as well, if that is one of your goals. Here is an article about it if you wanna read more... http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

Ridiculous post is ridiculous.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Zero cavities drinking "loaded" soda all my life! Now that's an accomplishment!

I still go for loaded if I want to drink my calories (which I do not)..

Artificial sweeteners give you gas! Weight the pros and cons and decide if you want gas over fat gain...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

She does not fear vinegar. Three syllables. So good.

Not to be a language geek, but . . . pesticide, herbicide, and sucralose all have three syllables. ;)

Don't I know it. But vin-e-gar are natural syllables.

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

She does not fear vinegar. Three syllables. So good.

Not to be a language geek, but . . . pesticide, herbicide, and sucralose all have three syllables. ;)

Don't I know it. But vin-e-gar are natural syllables.

I stand corrected! LOL
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    it will mess up your teeth... that's all I got tho, I drink it all da time
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I've no issue with artificial/non-nutritive sweeteners. But to even mitigate that-- seltzer with lime. There's just something about a cold, effervescent drink after a long run or ride during middle of August that just hits the spot.

I'm with you. Love my seltzer, especially in summer. Best gadget I got as a weight loss tool (besides my kitchen scale) is my Sodastream. Cheap fizzy water plain or with a little lemon or lime. I fizz up 2 liters daily and drink them over the course of the day.

I love the Sodastream, too. I drink straight from the bottle all day! I prefer lemon to lime, but really, if I want a drink, 9 times out of 10 it's just plain fizzy water! Very refreshing.

Protip-- pick up a bottle of 100% cranberry juice. (NOT 100% juice cranberry cocktail! The 100% unsweetened cranberry) I love to put about a quarter cup or less of it in a pint glass and fill the rest up with seltzer. It's VERY low calorie (not no calorie, but at those small amounts you are essentially looking at 10 cal or less) , tastes fantastic, and has all kinds of micronutrients. Plus it's a very pretty color and you feel like you're having a cocktail. Knudsen's is one brand, but it can be spendy. If you are on the East Coast, the Nature's Promise label (at Stop and Shop or Giant stores) has a version that is less expensive. Trader Joe's has the best inexpensive version I've found.

A squeeze of lime juice makes it even better, IMO.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I never have and never will drink it. Water suits me fine.
    It is handy to clean oil stains off your drive way and the corrosion off batteries. It truly is wonderful stuff :+1::neutral: